Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:19 PM

356 posts, read 804,998 times

Advertisements

Come on...you dont really consider yourselves to be New Englanders right??

Yeah we're GEOGRAPHICALLY in New England but we're just not culturally tied to New England. We're culturally tied to the New York area.

Like the accents. We dont have problems pronouncing our R's. We dont say Wicked before every sentence.

And theres the sports teams. The Boston teams ARE NOT local. You cant watch the Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins on TV, and who watches the Patriots on Channel 25 when we have the Super Bowl XLII Champion New York Football Giants on Channel 5 and the J-E-T-S on Channel 2. The New York teams are 10 million times more popular than the Boston teams. Everywhere else in New England that is not the case at all.

Plus we're 3 1/2 hours from Boston, the capital of New England without a doubt...and 50 minutes from NYC in most cases.

I dont want to have people FREAKING OUT. I'm sorry if your offended by this. I dont mean to offend. If you consider yourself a New Englandah good for you. I just want to settle this. I want some people to back me up. 0

Thanks.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:35 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,752,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
I just want to settle this. I want some people to back me up. 0

Thanks.
If you're looking for validation.

I suggest that you get a nice dog. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:37 PM

356 posts, read 804,998 times
I'm actually afraid of dogs.

Not gonna lie. Something thats effected me mentally since I was 3.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:45 PM

3,970 posts, read 6,525,729 times
lets make this thread go off topic fast....

Old 05-10-2009, 07:44 PM

132 posts, read 329,999 times
It was rather windy today ... almost hit a huge branch in the middle of the highway! Careful out there, fellow posters!

Old 05-10-2009, 08:15 PM

11,240 posts, read 18,711,826 times
I personally always thought that Fairfield County was "New York" sports territory, then the I-91 corridor from New Haven up to Enfield was kind of a NY-Boston sports "fault line" where a lot of loyalties are split, then east of that it's purely "wicked Bah-stan".

When I was up in Hartford early last week I was surprised that the 11:00 news talked about the Yankees, Red Sox AND the Mets (and it was channel 3 in Hartford, not channel 8 of New Haven). In other NY-Boston "fault line" areas I've been in (Albany area, I lived in for 5 years in the late 80's; and Burlington, VT which I visited in early April), the news and the papers talk about the Yankees and the Sox, but ignore the Mets (my theory being that they are "over the bridge" towards Long Island so people well upstate or just over the border in VT, MA, CT, if they root for a NY baseball team over a Boston one it's the Yankees (I'm a Yankees fan before you ask, but unlike some Yankees fans, not anywhere near as upset if the Mets do good as I am when the Red Sox do good).

Old 05-10-2009, 09:52 PM

428 posts, read 825,950 times
Southern Ct isn't thought of New England but suburbs of NY. I agree with this sentiment. I think New England probably starts around NH or so.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:02 PM

32 posts, read 126,824 times
fairfield county is like where new england and the rest of the country meets..

i actualy think that everything in new york west of the hudson and north of the bronx should be considered part of new england.

anywheys, fairfield county is where new yorkers and new englanders meets.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:12 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goredsox View Post
fairfield county is like where new england and the rest of the country meets..

i actualy think that everything in new york west of the hudson and north of the bronx should be considered part of new england.

anywheys, fairfield county is where new yorkers and new englanders meets.
Actually, I couldn't agree with you more.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:19 PM

428 posts, read 825,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Actually, I couldn't agree with you more.
Really? I went to Fairfied to a couple times and many of the people seemed like New Jersey/Staten Island Italians. I think those places have far more with NY and Northern NJ than they do Greater Hartford and New Haven, the differences are even greater once you get to New London county and Litchfield County(though I am aware Nyers are increasing their presence there also..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut