Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:50 PM

5 posts, read 21,235 times

Advertisements

We are new to CT, I work in Southington and my wife works in North Haven. We are looking to buy a house in the 300-350K range. We are in out late 20's and are looking for a town with an urban feel and that is diverse but safe as well. Please help us out on what towns to look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 11:04 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc_24 View Post
We are new to CT, I work in Southington and my wife works in North Haven. We are looking to buy a house in the 300-350K range. We are in out late 20's and are looking for a town with an urban feel and that is diverse but safe as well. Please help us out on what towns to look into?
Look into Hamden, Cheshire and Wallingford. All are suburban - I think the only urban areas would be in New Haven and Waterbury which are not exactly between Southington and North Haven. Cheshire is a nice town with excellent schools if you plan to have kids. Hamden would be the most diverse and "urban" of the three as it's closest to New Haven.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:41 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
I agree with Kid completely. Hamden, cheshire or Wallingford would all be good choices.
Take your pick!!

Old 05-10-2009, 04:57 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Quote:
Wow, someone who actually wants to look for a home in the area where my husband and I live! Now, you are going to probably not believe me because most folks don't but where we live in Meriden gets a totally bad rap. I am serious. Yes, the downtown part of Meriden isn't the best and there are some bad areas, but you get that in any larger town. Now, if you take a look at Meriden, there are two large hills on either side of town...one side is the East Side and one the West. My husband and I live on the West Side on one of those large hills and the veiw here is outstanding! Then there is South Meriden...quaint village and quiet..not much there, nice.

Our home here on the West Side is 2600 sq. ft, we have 4 bedrooms, formal living room with fireplace, large kitchen, dining room master bedroom has a suite with huge windows that overlook the city, finished basement, laundry room and two bathrooms. Outside we have almost half an acre with an inground pool that measures 20X40. We love it here. Our home was valued at 300K a few years ago.

So, don't leave Meriden out of the equation. On top of the homes being affordable, there is Hubbard Park which is gorgeous, and several other parks as well...Guiffrida Park is nice to hike around. We have our own municipal golf course, fairly decent schools, 3 high schools counting the technical school...several parochial schools, a magnet school, two junior high schools....town is also very big into sports. We just recently built a sports complex on the East side of town that offers the kids a field with artificial turf...nice. The city also had softball for adults and kids...very active sports wise.

Good luck with your search and don't leave us out of the equation!

Old 05-10-2009, 05:58 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Wallingford. It's right in the middle.

They have a pretty alive downtown with restaurants, pubs, shops etc with Rosemary Choate (Private boarding school) that brings a lot of shows and such as well. All the "box" stores you need there as well and a nice diverse range of housing. The city is well kept and growing.

Welcome to the Town of Wallingford, Connecticut Official Municipal Website

Wallingford CT.US

Welcome to Downtown Wallingford. Wallingford Center Inc. [ Website Design by Lifetiled ]

I have to disagree with Pam. I like Southington, (Where she lives I think) and in fact have family living in Southington, but Meriden is not a place I would recommend folks live unless they are okay with a gritty, poor evironment. I say this because I lived in Meriden for almost 2 years and couldn't wait to leave.

There are some decent neighborhoods there, but the downtown is riddled with government housing projects and "thugs" hanging around thanks to the police station and courthouse they plopped right in the middle.

Have a look at it, but I think you will not be happy.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:45 AM

5 posts, read 21,235 times
Default Thank you.

Thank you for all your quick responses. Are there any particular areas in Hamden, Cheshire, Wallingford and Southington which are preferred? Going through the other posts, it looks like Mt. Carmel and Spring Glen areas in Hamden are good. What about Cheshire, Wallingford and Southington?

Old 05-10-2009, 07:44 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Thank you for all your quick responses. Are there any particular areas in Hamden, Cheshire, Wallingford and Southington which are preferred? Going through the other posts, it looks like Mt. Carmel and Spring Glen areas in Hamden are good. What about Cheshire, Wallingford and Southington?
Your best bet would be to drive through each of these towns. It sounds like you've already done this for Hamden and have arrived at most people's assessment. Just a word of caution regarding Hamden: Route 10 can be a slow drive to/from Southington! I am in northern Cheshire, and it takes me at least a half hour to get to Eli's on Whitney (about 10 miles).

You should find a decent amount of inventory in that price range though what you get in each town will vary*:

18 - Cheshire
23 - Hamden
16 - Meriden
22 - Southington
42 - Wallingford

Source: CTMLS

*I suggest that you define your needs and wants and then see which towns have suitable properties in your price range

Old 05-10-2009, 09:36 AM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I would have to agree with the others. Wallingford or Hamden would be best. You seem to already know about Spring Glen in Hamden. You might also check the streets off Main Street in Wallingford. Good luck, Jay

Old 05-10-2009, 01:06 PM

25 posts, read 101,378 times
We moved to Southington 3 years ago and we love it!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:44 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,845,674 times
In Wallingford you definitely want to stay on the east side. I agree that the Main Street area is very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut