U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 11:34 AM

5 posts, read 9,834 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 and moving to CT for a job I landed in Weston. I would like to commute about 1/2 hour. I thought about Danbury, but the person I may be living with is working in Milford, and that would be a longer commute so we're looking for something closer for both of us. From what I've heard, I'd rather NOT live in bridgeport.

My biggest question is: Is there any nightlife in Milford? Not necessarily clubs, but pubs more so. I know New Haven is close and I'm sure that would cover the club scene ... just looking for a few bars to hang out at after work.

Thanks for any / all help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 02:02 PM

24,577 posts, read 40,130,038 times
If you want to be about half way between Milford and weston, I would suggest Fairfield. There is a wide range of housing options and it has some very nice small restaurants/pubs for an afterwork drink or two. Milford has some too though and it is generally more affordable then Fairfield. Jay

Old 05-19-2009, 03:54 PM

8,831 posts, read 14,234,561 times
Some areas of Bridgeport, like Black Rock, are OK if you don't have kids and don't have to deal with the school system, but if you don't mind a slightly longer commute for yourself, Milford is nicer at almost the same price (and closer to New Haven, which will have more nightlife). And from Milford you still have Metro North access if you want to go to Manhattan (just note that trains stop running around 1am and don't run again until 6am). And Fairfield's not too much more expensive either (the town, NOT the county as a whole, once you get west of the town the real estate becomes astronomic in price!).

Stratford may work for you too.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:37 PM

127 posts, read 460,126 times
Milford is a great town. There are a couple good bars in the center of Milford that are quite popular with all ages. Plus you have every possible store along the Post Road.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 PM

15,742 posts, read 21,991,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspn16 View Post
I'm 22 and moving to CT for a job I landed in Weston. I would like to commute about 1/2 hour. I thought about Danbury, but the person I may be living with is working in Milford, and that would be a longer commute so we're looking for something closer for both of us. From what I've heard, I'd rather NOT live in bridgeport.

My biggest question is: Is there any nightlife in Milford? Not necessarily clubs, but pubs more so. I know New Haven is close and I'm sure that would cover the club scene ... just looking for a few bars to hang out at after work.

Thanks for any / all help you can give!
Milford has a great nightlife - you can go bar hopping downtown (Stonebridge, Archie Moores, SBC, etc). Also New Haven is a short drive away with decent nightlife, same for Norwalk (SoNo). There are lots of Happy Hour specials at Archie Moores - and there is the new Black Bear in the Post Mall with a great Friday crowd.

I'd suggest you look into Fairfield. It is somewhat halfway between where you'll be working. The commute from Milford to Weston on the Merritt Parkway (15) or 95 would be stop and go.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 9,834 times
Thank you for all the great advice, if anyone else out there has some I'd be grateful to hear it! Thanks Again!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:34 PM

113 posts, read 455,870 times
Nightlife in Milford? In the Summer the downtown area is a meat market for singles. People come in from Long Island in boats to hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or