Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 10:49 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times

Advertisements

I am big against moving to this state and for leaving this state. Taxes are high, cost of living is high, job's are scarce or over saturated...if you can find a job here most of the time doesn't cover cost to live here. Roads are not maintained properly. Traffic is high. Not much to do here in the state. The shore is nice during the summer really that is it though. Forgot to mention cuts to hospitals and state is cutting funding everywhere in the state. Also prices are rising state college tuition is high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 11:29 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I am big against moving to this state and for leaving this state. Taxes are high, cost of living is high, job's are scarce or over saturated...if you can find a job here most of the time doesn't cover cost to live here. Roads are not maintained properly. Traffic is high. Not much to do here in the state. The shore is nice during the summer really that is it though. Forgot to mention cuts to hospitals and state is cutting funding everywhere in the state. Also prices are rising state college tuition is high.
Connecticut or Florida?

Old 03-28-2015, 01:33 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Never lived in Florida 28 year Connecticut resident. Definitely a tough place economically for the younger generation. Do know CT has a good reputation of 55 + Communities...Heritage Village being one. People live there for three seasons on go to Florida or down South during the late fall to early spring.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:31 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
I think I can give an honest, current perspective, since this thread was resurrected from 2011 yesterday. We went from Long Island NY in 2004 to Middletown Ct for a few months, then bought a house in Glastonbury CT , lived there for 9 years, sold it, moved back to an apt in Middletown in the same complex, then moved to Bradenton Florida in April 2014 and rented till our house we built in Parrish FL was complete.

Florida is very nice for us. We are making less $ but we could never have afforded to build what we built here in Ct. We do miss Fall in Ct, pick your own apples, I miss certain types of fishing thatvi don't have here. However there is way more to do here year round, I like the heat, no car taxes, and the growth here in terms of homes is incredible.

If anyone reading this wants further info feel free to pm me.

As far as crime, Bradenton (well parts of it anyway) were not so nice, Middletown was not so hot either. Glastonbury if I had to move back to Ct would be my only choice..wherecwe are in Parrish FL is very nice as well...lots of nice people. If you are coming here please have a decent job lined up as they are not easy to find..we are doing ok but a lot of people have a tough go of it, ive seen more homeless people in a year than I saw in 10 in Ct...or maybe they are move visible here.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:11 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
I just came back to CT after living in Florida for 4.5 years. While I admit I'm having some fun at the CT dmv with taxes and what not (because I used to live here), I still would rather deal live here in CT. It's cool outside today at about 30F, but it's a nice dry coolness!

Florida was too hot for me, and even when the sun went down, the humidity was just overwhelming to me as a CT native. I gave it a fair shot for a little over 4 years but I will not be returning to that sauna. Yeah everything is more expensive here, bu I feel that the quality of life is just better. The colors are prettier and the seasons are much more enjoyable.

I could easily say some good things about Florida and lots of good things about CT. One thing that I did forget about is the horrific condition of MOST of the roads here with the humps, cracks, pot holes all over the place. In Florida, the roads are almost perfectly smooth everywhere! BUT Florida roads are also flat and boring imo.

You see trees in Florida and realize just how systematically placed all of them are. It feels "fake" to me. Trees here are much more natural and far prettier.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:40 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I just came back to CT after living in Florida for 4.5 years. While I admit I'm having some fun at the CT dmv with taxes and what not (because I used to live here), I still would rather deal live here in CT. It's cool outside today at about 30F, but it's a nice dry coolness!

Florida was too hot for me, and even when the sun went down, the humidity was just overwhelming to me as a CT native. I gave it a fair shot for a little over 4 years but I will not be returning to that sauna. Yeah everything is more expensive here, bu I feel that the quality of life is just better. The colors are prettier and the seasons are much more enjoyable.
Florida heat is truly unbelievable. Think about our worst heat wave in July in Ct and then extend that over 4 months NON STOP! You can barely breathe in summer months in Orlando. Not sure how people handle going to those amusement parks(other than the water parks) with pavement standing outside. Just brutal. Every single day heat indexes in much of florida are over 100 degrees! Then you're not even done with "summer" yet. It's basically summer 6-8 months out of the year. If you're in Miami, it's sticky nearly year round, though cooler in Miami in summer than in northern/central florida.

It can get sickening unless you like that kind of extreme heat.

If you go to florida you're exchanging BRUTAL heat for cold/snow in CT. That's the trade off climate wise.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:44 PM

Mean number of days above 90. Remember over 90 in florida it's ALWAYS humid so you're looking at heat indexes approaching or over 100 much of the time once the temp hits 90 or above.

https://www.sercc.com/climateinfo/hi...al/mean90.html

bdr averages 7
nyc 17
Bdl 15

Fort myers: 113....LOL!
Orlando: 105

Old 03-30-2015, 04:19 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
We were here through a full summer in the Bradenton area. Wasn't as oppressive as you say, but yes every day weather forecast was the same, 88-92, rain at 3pm. I will take that over the cold..

Old 03-30-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
We were here through a full summer in the Bradenton area. Wasn't as oppressive as you say, but yes every day weather forecast was the same, 88-92, rain at 3pm. I will take that over the cold..
I guess it depends on your definition of "oppresive". The number of days over 90 I listed in the link is a fact. And the fact is the heat index going over 100 day after day for months is a regular occurrence.

Everything you have ever wanted to know about South Florida steamy hot Augusts - tribunedigital-sunsentinel

Old 03-30-2015, 10:06 AM

678 posts, read 847,077 times
Nobody else feels like Florida is sitting on a time-bomb? I hope it doesn't happen, but, i wouldn't be surprised if one mighty hurricane along the lines of Katrina comes knocking at Miami. I think people's perception of Florida would change then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut