Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:29 PM

17 posts, read 83,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsmom View Post
Anybody lived in both Connecticut and Florida and can give me their perspective on the pros and cons of living in each of these states? I live in South Florida, have for 20 years, but grew up in Michigan...so I know about living with snow, ice, overcast skies, and short summers...and lucky me...I now also know the joys of hurricanes, tornadoes and oppressive heat and humidity...so those things aren't issues for me. I am more interested in quality of life, cost of living, culture, jobs, housing, educational opportunities, the things that really matter. Is Connecticut a place where someone over 50 would enjoy living and could afford to live reasonably well after retirement? What about coastal towns there? Are they just out of reach for most people, or still affordable? Does Connecticut have a state income tax and what kind of a bite does it take out of your paycheck? Florida has no state income tax, but heavy sales taxes, so that is a major consideration for me. Also if anybody can speak about sea level rise from climate change in Connecticut that would be helpful. Is it forecasted to wipe out most of the state like it is in Florida?
Connecticut's...
quality of life: Pretty good if you can afford it
cost of living: Extremely high (food, gas, homes, etc)
culture: Not as diverse as Florida, (Sure CT has blacks, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, whites, etc, but FL has all these, including Haitians, Jamaicans, Cubans, etc, even NYC is more diverse than CT but FL is like the gateway to America)
jobs- Meh, economy affected us all, not much to say on that one
housing- Great if you can afford it, but homes can be very expensive here compared to other places
educational opportunities- This is college land, were all your academic dreams can come true so yes, many.

Someone over 50, in my opinion, would enjoy Florida a lot better. CT is a "rush busy, I went to college so I'm on top of the world" place, Florida is more of a "put your feet up and relax" kind of place. CT is very expensive and I don't think you'd be able to live here financially comfortably. Once again, this is in my opinion after living in this state for so long.

The weather is very lovely here but unfortunately, what you're looking for, to me, sounds like it's in Florida.

Oh, and CT is very far from sea level.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 10:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBronzeFlower View Post
Connecticut's...
quality of life: Pretty good if you can afford it
cost of living: Extremely high (food, gas, homes, etc)
culture: Not as diverse as Florida, (Sure CT has blacks, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, whites, etc, but FL has all these, including Haitians, Jamaicans, Cubans, etc, even NYC is more diverse than CT but FL is like the gateway to America)
jobs- Meh, economy affected us all, not much to say on that one
housing- Great if you can afford it, but homes can be very expensive here compared to other places
educational opportunities- This is college land, were all your academic dreams can come true so yes, many.

Someone over 50, in my opinion, would enjoy Florida a lot better. CT is a "rush busy, I went to college so I'm on top of the world" place, Florida is more of a "put your feet up and relax" kind of place. CT is very expensive and I don't think you'd be able to live here financially comfortably. Once again, this is in my opinion after living in this state for so long.

The weather is very lovely here but unfortunately, what you're looking for, to me, sounds like it's in Florida.

Oh, and CT is very far from sea level.

Good luck with your decision!
Florida is anything but relaxed. Have you driven in this state?

I have lived in five states and have never encountered so many rude people, it is a very "me first" attitude. Granted this comes from mainly the transplants.

FL is not the south. With the exception of maybe up in the panhandle portion of the state.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 PM

17 posts, read 83,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Florida is anything but relaxed. Have you driven in this state?

I have lived in five states and have never encountered so many rude people, it is a very "me first" attitude. Granted this comes from mainly the transplants.

FL is not the south. With the exception of maybe up in the panhandle portion of the state.
Ha ha, what part of FL are you talking bout?
Have you driven in CT?
Rude people are going to be everywhere but I've encountered more road rage here in CT than in FL.

FL has its good areas and bad areas like any other state. But honestly CT has a very rushed atmosphere to it and sure SOME parts of FL may be similar but all of FL isn't like that and there's more of FL than there is of CT.
I'm not recommending that this person retires in South Miami Beach or anything but I'm also not knocking the whole idea of FL.
Sarasota is lovely, and so is Port St Lucy and I'm sure the panhandle as you've stated is nice too, but you only seem to mainly be focusing on the big cities of Florida but that's not all there is to FL and even some cities in FL retirees want to live. You never know.
But my point is, I'd rather see a retiree in FL than in CT by my own opinion of things. And especially since this person is more concerned about the economics of things.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:52 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Rude people are going to be everywhere but I've encountered more road rage here in CT than in FL.
I agree fully with this. I have not seen the amount of road rage in any state that I've witnessed in CT.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:24 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Ha ha, what part of FL are you talking bout?
Have you driven in CT?

FL has its good areas and bad areas like any other state. But honestly CT has a very rushed atmosphere to it and sure SOME parts of FL may be similar but all of FL isn't like that and there's more of FL than there is of CT.
I'm not recommending that this person retires in South Miami Beach or anything but I'm also not knocking the whole idea of FL.
Sarasota is lovely, and so is Port St Lucy and I'm sure the panhandle as you've stated is nice too, but you only seem to mainly be focusing on the big cities of Florida but that's not all there is to FL and even some cities in FL retirees want to live. You never know.
But my point is, I'd rather see a retiree in FL than in CT by my own opinion of things. And especially since this person is more concerned about the economics of things.
I am sorry but it sounds like you have not lived in any of Florida's major cities for any significant length of time. There is a big difference between living somewhere and visiting on vacation. The places you mention are nice but what about major cities like Miami, Orlando, St. Petersburg, Tampa and Jacksonville. The entire eastern shoreline of Florida is packed with people and traffic congestion. The fact that there is a high number of elderly drivers makes driving even worse.

As for diversity, Florida is the gateway to many Latin America countries but what about other parts of the world. Connecticut has a significant European population which adds to our mix. Try to find a decent Italian restaurant in Florida, it is not easy. What about Polish, German or Spanish (from Spain, not South America). Jay

Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am sorry but it sounds like you have not lived in any of Florida's major cities for any significant length of time. There is a big difference between living somewhere and visiting on vacation. The places you mention are nice but what about major cities like Miami, Orlando, St. Petersburg, Tampa and Jacksonville. The entire eastern shoreline of Florida is packed with people and traffic congestion. The fact that there is a high number of elderly drivers makes driving even worse.
Very true; Between WPB and Miami, the traffic is bad but not as bad as 95 between New Haven and NYC. Greater Tampa has some tough traffic on 275 but, again, not like up here. I'm just talking about interstate traffic.

That said, the western coast (between Naples and Tampa) is s.l.o.w. paced, relaxing and just as the previous poster said, has more of a "kick up your feet" lifestyle.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:25 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Very true; Between WPB and Miami, the traffic is bad but not as bad as 95 between New Haven and NYC. Greater Tampa has some tough traffic on 275 but, again, not like up here. I'm just talking about interstate traffic.
Now THAT is funny. Tampa has some of the worst traffic in FL! If you are in St Pete or Clearwater, trying to get to Lakeland...forget it.

Hey Billy, how long did it take you to go 5 miles to the beach in St Pete? 45 minutes?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Now THAT is funny. Tampa has some of the worst traffic in FL! If you are in St Pete or Clearwater, trying to get to Lakeland...forget it.

Hey Billy, how long did it take you to go 5 miles to the beach in St Pete? 45 minutes?
Do you think it's any different on 95 during the week? As someone who regularly commuted (until a few weeks ago) from Branford to Shelton and Stamford, you have no idea what bad traffic is. My [former] office in Stamford would let people out in waves - those who live northeast of exit 14 would leave at 4:15 and the rest would leave at 4:45.

FYI - I'm very familiar with Tampa traffic patterns as well as greater WPB/Ft Lauderdale traffic patterns. I'm not saying traffic there is anything close to a breeze - it's awful. But I have yet to see regular the 25-30 mile backups ANYWHERE in the nation that I've seen on 95 south of New Haven. LA came close, but instead of long back-ups, it's a few miles of 8 lanes of people crisscrossing.

You live in Manchester. Try the commute an hour southwest of you sometime, then get back to me.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Kidyankee - I think you are exaggerating the length of traffic issues along I-95. It is rarely 25 to 30 miles. That would basically mean it is a parking lot from Milford to Stamford every day and that is not the case. You do see traffic in New Haven, a slow down in Milford and then again in Bridgeport into Fairfield. There will be intermitant slowdowns again through Westport and then really the backups begins in Norwalk for the last 9 or 10 miles.

Keep in mind that you are traveling through several major employment centers including New Haven, Bridgeport and Norwalk before getting to Stamford. Also there is the option of using the Metro North commuter train which you do not have in many of the Florida cities. Also from what I have seen, LA is a lot worse but that is just my opinion. Jay

Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 9,264 times
Quote:

As for diversity, Florida is the gateway to many Latin America countries but what about other parts of the world.
I've been a dual resident of CT and FL for the past 15 years. I've met and befriended MANY permanent FL residents that are full blown or 1st\2nd generation Italian, Polish, German, English, Finish, Swedish, Spaniard, Australian, Irish, and Austrian (in addition to many from all over central\south America, the Caribbean, and transplants from all over the U.S.). Miami, Tampa, and Orlando metros are true melting pots.

Quote:
Connecticut has a significant European population which adds to our mix.
St. Augustine FL (the oldest city in the U.S.), was founded by Europeans.

So CT may have more of a significant European population and FL may have more of a significant Caribbean\South\Central American population which adds to the mix. What's your point?

Quote:

Try to find a decent Italian restaurant in Florida, it is not easy. What about Polish, German or Spanish (from Spain, not South America). Jay
You must not be looking in the right areas. Some of the best Italian food I have ever eaten (in addition to CT and NY), has been in FL (Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale\Miami metros).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut