Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 AM

21,553 posts, read 30,976,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Kidyankee - I think you are exaggerating the length of traffic issues along I-95. It is rarely 25 to 30 miles. That would basically mean it is a parking lot from Milford to Stamford every day and that is not the case. You do see traffic in New Haven, a slow down in Milford and then again in Bridgeport into Fairfield. There will be intermitant slowdowns again through Westport and then really the backups begins in Norwalk for the last 9 or 10 miles.

Keep in mind that you are traveling through several major employment centers including New Haven, Bridgeport and Norwalk before getting to Stamford. Also there is the option of using the Metro North commuter train which you do not have in many of the Florida cities. Also from what I have seen, LA is a lot worse but that is just my opinion. Jay
Unfortunately Jay, I am not. Around 5pm daily, it's stop and go nearly the *whole* way from Stamford to the Q Bridge. It opens up a bit in Bridgeport but then slows again in Stratford/Milford. I'll admit with the economy traffic has gotten better, but in the past few months, it's been getting worse again. In the past, it has taken me nearly 90 minutes to get to the Route 8 interchange from Stamford. That's before the nightmare stretch around Kimberly Ave in West Haven.

You guys live in the other end of the state and never do that commute. When was the last time you were on 95 north at 5pm in Stamford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLnCT View Post
I've been a dual resident of CT and FL for the past 15 years. I've met and befriended MANY permanent FL residents that are full blown or 1st\2nd generation Italian, Polish, German, English, Finish, Swedish, Spaniard, Australian, Irish, and Austrian (in addition to many from all over central\south America, the Caribbean, and transplants from all over the U.S.). Miami, Tampa, and Orlando metros are true melting pots.

You must not be looking in the right areas. Some of the best Italian food I have ever eaten (in addition to CT and NY), has been in FL (Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale\Miami metros).
First, my parents are Australian. They spent their winters in Palm Beach after retirement and were disappointed with the people they were around. No offense to Italians, but my parents were getting tired of the Italian guidos who thought they were God's gift because they owned a home in "paradise" and paraded around in their Escalades. In the four winters they lived there, the only time they met people from outside of the country was at Disney. They sold their place because they felt more at home in Connecticut - more of an international feel, more progressive, better food, beautiful scenery and nicer people. IMO, there is nothing European or international about Florida.

And as an Italian food lover who is very familiar with Florida - any Italian food snob would laugh at your comment that some of the best Italian food you've had is in Florida. LOL, seriously?

Old 09-13-2010, 11:05 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,830,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLnCT View Post
I've been a dual resident of CT and FL for the past 15 years.
I find it very funny and skeptical that you joined CD today and with the name FLnCT. Yeah ok!

Old 09-13-2010, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 9,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
First, my parents are Australian. They spent their winters in Palm Beach after retirement and were disappointed with the people they were around.
Why were they "disappointed"?

Quote:
No offense to Italians, but my parents were getting tired of the Italian guidos who thought they were God's gift because they owned a home in "paradise" and paraded around in their Escalades. In the four winters they lived there, the only time they met people from outside of the country was at Disney.
That's too bad. Not my experience at all.

Quote:
Connecticut - more of an international feel, more progressive, better food, beautiful scenery and nicer people. IMO, there is nothing European or international about Florida.
Yes you are correct, 100% Opinion.

Quote:
And as an Italian food lover who is very familiar with Florida - any Italian food snob would laugh at your comment that some of the best Italian food you've had is in Florida.
You make that statement as if it is fact. Can you provide anything to back it up, verbatim?

I don't believe you are as familiar as you think you are with Florida.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I find it very funny and skeptical that you joined CD today and with the name FLnCT. Yeah ok!
Yep.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 9,206 times
Quote:
Care to explain your thinking behind that statement?

Old 09-13-2010, 11:21 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,934,377 times
Quote:
Not again...

Old 09-13-2010, 11:33 AM

207 posts, read 450,947 times
Quote:
I agree fully with this. I have not seen the amount of road rage in any state that I've witnessed in CT.
CT doesn't even make the top 25 - Miami #1 for road rage two years running. Tampa Bay fluctuates but is always top 20.
Bad Road Rage: U.S. Cities With The Worst Road Rage | Ranker - A World of Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Now THAT is funny. Tampa has some of the worst traffic in FL! If you are in St Pete or Clearwater, trying to get to Lakeland...forget it.

Hey Billy, how long did it take you to go 5 miles to the beach in St Pete? 45 minutes?
It would take 10 min at night and if we went on a holiday or weekend day it could take up to an hour. there are a bunch of draw bridges which only aggravate the problem.

Quote:
Very true; Between WPB and Miami, the traffic is bad but not as bad as 95 between New Haven and NYC. Greater Tampa has some tough traffic on 275 but, again, not like up here. I'm just talking about interstate traffic.
I4 corridor and 275 to downtown St.pete can easily take an hour and a half and if there is a accident on the bridge it can be 3hrs that is only 20 miles.

Quote:
And as an Italian food lover who is very familiar with Florida - any Italian food snob would laugh at your comment that some of the best Italian food you've had is in Florida. LOL, seriously?
I am an Italian food snob and I agree that there are some amazing Italian restaurants in FL. I have spent a good amount of time in Italy too so I know what good Italian food is supposed to be like.

BTW I commuted 5 days a week to orlando (200+ miles a day) for a long time. and let me tell you between orlando and tampa traffic it would take more than 4 hours sometimes to get home (speed limit is 70mph on I4). You are entitled to your opinion but what you experienced is not the norm and not an accurate representation of the traffic issues there. I can't say it is worse than where you are because I haven't been there but I trust JV's opinion and when he says it's BS well I will take his word for it, sorry.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 PM

17 posts, read 82,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am sorry but it sounds like you have not lived in any of Florida's major cities for any significant length of time. There is a big difference between living somewhere and visiting on vacation. The places you mention are nice but what about major cities like Miami, Orlando, St. Petersburg, Tampa and Jacksonville. The entire eastern shoreline of Florida is packed with people and traffic congestion. The fact that there is a high number of elderly drivers makes driving even worse.

As for diversity, Florida is the gateway to many Latin America countries but what about other parts of the world. Connecticut has a significant European population which adds to our mix. Try to find a decent Italian restaurant in Florida, it is not easy. What about Polish, German or Spanish (from Spain, not South America). Jay
I actually have lived in FL for a great amount of time. I used to live right in West Palm Beach so you definitely assumed wrong.
And who said someone retired wants to live in a big city? No matter where you go, big cities are gonna have traffic and rude people, it's inevitable.
CT does have Europeans, but FL has seemingly almost everything else lol, including Europeans.
There are lots of italian places in FL, just google "italian restaurant miami, fl" and there will be so many.
I'm sorry, but I'd still say Florida.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,535,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBronzeFlower View Post
Ha ha, what part of FL are you talking bout?
Have you driven in CT?
Rude people are going to be everywhere but I've encountered more road rage here in CT than in FL.

FL has its good areas and bad areas like any other state. But honestly CT has a very rushed atmosphere to it and sure SOME parts of FL may be similar but all of FL isn't like that and there's more of FL than there is of CT.
I'm not recommending that this person retires in South Miami Beach or anything but I'm also not knocking the whole idea of FL.
Sarasota is lovely, and so is Port St Lucy and I'm sure the panhandle as you've stated is nice too, but you only seem to mainly be focusing on the big cities of Florida but that's not all there is to FL and even some cities in FL retirees want to live. You never know.
But my point is, I'd rather see a retiree in FL than in CT by my own opinion of things. And especially since this person is more concerned about the economics of things.
Orlando, Tampa, Miami, and Jacksonville in that order are top cities in the country for deadly hit and runs. Memphis(finally a place out of FL) comes in at number five.

What happens if you get caught driving with no car insurance in CT? I bet they impound your car.

Not in FL, FL leads the nation in uninsured drivers. All they get is a ticket here and they keep driving.

You have to increase your coverage when you move here, due to all the people who drive without it.

Many people are shocked when they find out their insurance goes up.

And FL is no longer that cost effective. As I tell many people the cost has gone up but the standards( education, medical care, etc) remain low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut