Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 09:03 AM

241 posts, read 543,178 times

Advertisements

I work in Hartford and my husband just got a job in the Bronx. We're looking for a place to live which spits the commute. It will probably be by car in both directions, because his work is not convenient to train lines in New York. Both Bridgeport and Danbury seem to be almost exact halfway points to our respective jobs, judging by maps. However, we were wondering if anyone has experience with actual driving times/conditions for any of these routes?

Bridgeport to Bronx
Danbury to Bronx
Bridgeport to Hartford
Danbury to Hartford

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:05 AM

73 posts, read 244,206 times
What time of day???????????

Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 AM

Both of us are in positions where we have some flexibility over our hours, with the caveat that I cannot get in to Hartford any later than 9am. Both of us are likely to work more than a 40 hour work week, so if getting in early or leaving late (compared to a 9 to 5 job) makes the commute significantly better, that is definitely an option, since we will probably be doing one of the two anyhow.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:12 AM

184 posts, read 842,330 times
I can speak from experience that southbound - 684 (from Danbury) is far preferable a drive to I95 (or the Merritt) (from Bridgeport), at almost any time of day in any conditions.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Bridgeport to the Bronx would be a brutal commute. Your husband would be driving with traffic through Stamford. Both I-95 and the Merritt Parkway are very congested during peak hours.

Danbury is about 60 miles from Hartford, so expect at least an hour ride, more with traffic. You wil hit some traffic through Waterbury and then when you get near Hartford. The Bronx is about 55 miles from Danbury and would take about the same time. I would think your husband would hit traffic in Westchester and in the Bronx. Jay

Old 06-01-2009, 12:53 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytlh View Post
Both of us are in positions where we have some flexibility over our hours, with the caveat that I cannot get in to Hartford any later than 9am. Both of us are likely to work more than a 40 hour work week, so if getting in early or leaving late (compared to a 9 to 5 job) makes the commute significantly better, that is definitely an option, since we will probably be doing one of the two anyhow.

I would never do the Bridgeport to Bronx thing. It is too horrible to even describe. It took me 1/2 hour to go from exit 24 to 18 on I95 this morning (left at 6:55) and there was not even an accident. Can you imagine how long it will be to the Bronx?

Old 06-01-2009, 02:32 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
My suggestion is the Danbury area. Unfortunately, your husband will still find traffic on the Hutchinson River Parkway, but that will only be the last 10-15 miles of his commute (though that portion may still take 30-40 minutes) and will be much better than what you'd find going from the Bridgeport area down I-95 or the Merritt Parkway, even at 7-7:30am the commute down either road is horrendous and is akin to traffic on LA freeways (I live in Westchester County and had some business in New Haven one day a couple of weeks ago I had to be at by 8am so I saw all this firsthand). I-684 is also the one road in this area that seems to have a 65 mph speed limit (that is coming down to here, though 84 to Hartford only has it in a stretch from Danbury to Waterbury......ironically I-91 has it from just north of New Haven to just before the Hartford city line).

An early start may also help minimize the Hutch Pkwy. traffic (coming in from Danbury). You may find some traffic on I-84 going into Hartford and Waterbury (as JayCT noted), but it won't be too bad. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks for all the input, folks! I really appreciate it.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
If you leave early enough, you shoudl be mine in living the Danbury area. The commute toward the Bronx would be much better from Danbury. There is some traffic on 84 going toward from the surrounding towns, so the further west you can be in Danbury, the easier the commute will be. Traffic does only get pretty busy on Friday nights,particularly durning the summer with New Yorkers going up to the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut