Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,746 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I need to drive from Stamford to Queens (Flushing) for a medical procedure scheduled at 8am tomorrow (6/4/09). I have never done that drive during weekday rush hour so I am asking for advices on when I should leave and what route to take. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 07:18 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterlance View Post
Hi all,

I need to drive from Stamford to Queens (Flushing) for a medical procedure scheduled at 8am tomorrow (6/4/09). I have never done that drive during weekday rush hour so I am asking for advices on when I should leave and what route to take. Thanks in advance.
Can you pick up the Merritt Parkway from where you are? Because it's probably the best route. Get on it, stay on it, and once you cross the NY state line it becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy. It's the same parkway just a different name, and it takes you first through Westchester, then the east Bronx, and eventually you can take either the Throgs Neck or Whitestone Bridge - both of which can get you into Queens. Not sure which of these would be better suited to get you to Flushing, though. I know exactly where that neighborhood is, it's right where Shea stadium was, but it's been a long time since I've been there. Traffic may be heavy, but it's probably a smoother trek than I-95 - which would take you into the Bronx east and west, then Jersey.

Not sure how long a commute you're looking at, but coming from Stamford I'd give it at least an hour, maybe even a bit more.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
i would leave at maybe 5-5:30,beat the traffic and find yourself a coffee shop to read the paper at till it's time for yor appointment.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:58 PM

691 posts, read 1,149,769 times
As someone who lived in Stamford for awhile and has family in NYC, I'm all too familiar with that drive. Here's my advice:

-Get on the Merritt South. You do NOT want to use 95 South during the AM rush hour (it's even a parking lot during the PM commute coming out of downtown Stamford)--there are very significant delays going into downtown Stamford as well as Greenwich (particularly exit 3). The Merritt will be free-flowing all the way into NY State.

-Once in NY State, take 287 East to 95 South. 95 typically flows pretty decently in Westchester.

-Follow 95 South down to the Hutch Parkway. The Hutch typically flows halfway decently down to the Whitestone Bridge.

-From there, you'll have to brave the Cross Island/LIE (495) traffic.

All in all, should be 1hr 15 mins..

Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM

While I agree with the Merritt, it's section in Westchester (the Hutch) is just awful. 3 or 4 lanes in each direction are desperately needed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Can you pick up the Merritt Parkway from where you are? Because it's probably the best route. Get on it, stay on it, and once you cross the NY state line it becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy. It's the same parkway just a different name, and it takes you first through Westchester, then the east Bronx, and eventually you can take either the Throgs Neck or Whitestone Bridge - both of which can get you into Queens. Not sure which of these would be better suited to get you to Flushing, though. I know exactly where that neighborhood is, it's right where Shea stadium was, but it's been a long time since I've been there. Traffic may be heavy, but it's probably a smoother trek than I-95 - which would take you into the Bronx east and west, then Jersey.

Not sure how long a commute you're looking at, but coming from Stamford I'd give it at least an hour, maybe even a bit more.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:56 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
i would leave at maybe 5-5:30,beat the traffic and find yourself a coffee shop to read the paper at till it's time for yor appointment.
Great suggestion.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:41 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
You are probably already in the procedure at this point according to your post, but I was going to chime in and say the best time to leave is before 6:30. I used to drive from Stamford to Brooklyn for several years, and if I left closer to 7, I'd be in traffic for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs! It's all about leaving early. But, 6:30 should've worked fine. That would typically be mostly a breeze--on either the Merritt or I-95--barring any unforseen accidents of course and leaving at that time.

I'd be curious to hear how the commute went for you.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:14 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
As someone who lived in Stamford for awhile and has family in NYC, I'm all too familiar with that drive. Here's my advice:

-Get on the Merritt South. You do NOT want to use 95 South during the AM rush hour (it's even a parking lot during the PM commute coming out of downtown Stamford)--there are very significant delays going into downtown Stamford as well as Greenwich (particularly exit 3). The Merritt will be free-flowing all the way into NY State.

-Once in NY State, take 287 East to 95 South. 95 typically flows pretty decently in Westchester.

-Follow 95 South down to the Hutch Parkway. The Hutch typically flows halfway decently down to the Whitestone Bridge.

-From there, you'll have to brave the Cross Island/LIE (495) traffic.

All in all, should be 1hr 15 mins..
Why would you get off the Hutchinson River Parkway at I-287, go over to I-95 and then get back on the Hutchinson further south? I would just stay on the Hutch to the bridges like others have suggested. The section of the Hutch between I-287 and where you would get back on from I-95 is not that bad IMHO. Jay

Old 06-04-2009, 07:25 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Why would you get off the Hutchinson River Parkway at I-287, go over to I-95 and then get back on the Hutchinson further south? I would just stay on the Hutch to the bridges like others have suggested. The section of the Hutch between I-287 and where you would get back on from I-95 is not that bad IMHO. Jay
I was wondering the same thing. From downtown Stamford to Flushing is only 30 miles and about 40 minutes. Taking the Merritt would add some time onto the trip, unless you are starting out in North Stamford, in which case, the Merritt would be quicker (the Hutch to 678 over the Whitestone).

Old 06-04-2009, 10:44 AM

The section of the Hutch in Westchester County has only two lanes in each direction. It's usually backed up, even during non-peak periods....especially in the vicinity of the Cross-County Parkway.

However, once you enter the Bronx, it is three lanes in each direction...and traffic generally flows well. I'd rather take 95 in Westchester and switch over to the Bronx's portion of the Hutch to get to one of the bridges...at least during peak hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut