U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:41 AM

14,270 posts, read 22,385,784 times
I have a good friends in Orange County and I can tell you, if they could they would be in Connecticut in a heartbeat. They moved out there years ago before having children and were appalled at what their kids were exposed to in public schools in the upscale community they lived in. A lot of alternative lifestyle type situations and kids very openly talking about things that were not acceptable. Don't get me wrong, my friends are not strict or conservative or anything, but young kids talking openly about which parent is sleeping with which other parent (some while still married); not being exposed to values and the backstabbing everywhere to get ahead were too much for them. Eventually they pulled their kids from public schools and sent then to parocial schools so they would be taught some of the values that commonly exist in the northeast. Just before their kids went to high school they moved to San Clemente and found things to be a bit more "normal" there so their kids finished high school in public schools. Even today, they talk about retiring back to Connecticut to get back to "the way things should be". I know that this is just one family's experience and that others would not have this problem but if you do choose OC, consider closely where you end up living. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 12:25 PM

11,891 posts, read 12,297,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have a good friends in Orange County and I can tell you, if they could they would be in Connecticut in a heartbeat. They moved out there years ago before having children and were appalled at what their kids were exposed to in public schools in the upscale community they lived in. A lot of alternative lifestyle type situations and kids very openly talking about things that were not acceptable. Don't get me wrong, my friends are not strict or conservative or anything, but young kids talking openly about which parent is sleeping with which other parent (some while still married); not being exposed to values and the backstabbing everywhere to get ahead were too much for them. Eventually they pulled their kids from public schools and sent then to parocial schools so they would be taught some of the values that commonly exist in the northeast. Just before their kids went to high school they moved to San Clemente and found things to be a bit more "normal" there so their kids finished high school in public schools. Even today, they talk about retiring back to Connecticut to get back to "the way things should be". I know that this is just one family's experience and that others would not have this problem but if you do choose OC, consider closely where you end up living. Jay
I would be careful pinpointing this behavior to one area. This happened ALL the time in Fairfield and New Canaan, and it's also the exact reason a good friend of mine moved their family out of Glastonbury to Virginia. It was always a contest, and many parents take their child's side when they do something very wrong. OC, if anything, is more strict and conservative than the rest of California, and there are family values (away from the hipster areas like Newport and Huntington Beach). I guess my point is that, wherever there is money, there is this type of Wisteria Lane-like behavior.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:04 PM

24 posts, read 43,932 times
conn all the way ca is very bad shape bigger state bigger problems. im moving back to ct soon where i was born. if you never lived in ca dont waste your time from one end of the state to another all the same. things are very different than ct believe me i've been here 20+years and cant wait to leave. pretty state to many problems business is done very different here. i worked in a private sector job U.S.M.C. ITS BAD HERE. hope for the people here it gets better. TAKE CARE VINMAN U.S.M.C. 3 TOURS

Old 06-17-2009, 02:04 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,088,423 times
CT School Districts are smaller since they are town-based as opposed to county-based like CA. As such, it is easier to get information disseminated, and easier to get to the people at the Board of Eds. Because it is also county run, no matter how great your city is, if you are next door to a less desirable area, your children would still go to the same schools. When we were there, they were talking about installing metal detectors in the schools where my children would have gone to, and we lived in a very nice town. That's when I knew that if we stayed, we would have to put them in private or parochial school somehow. Having metal detectors is not my idea of how school should be for kids. I loved the district where my kids went to while in CT.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:07 PM

14,270 posts, read 22,385,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I would be careful pinpointing this behavior to one area. This happened ALL the time in Fairfield and New Canaan, and it's also the exact reason a good friend of mine moved their family out of Glastonbury to Virginia. It was always a contest, and many parents take their child's side when they do something very wrong. OC, if anything, is more strict and conservative than the rest of California, and there are family values (away from the hipster areas like Newport and Huntington Beach). I guess my point is that, wherever there is money, there is this type of Wisteria Lane-like behavior.
Actually what I am talking about is beyond that. I am talking about a lack of unstated values and respect that you find here in northeast that are not prevalent in OC. Again this does happen in other areas, but my friends were shocked to what extent they found there. There are so few people there that are from the area, it is more of a free-thinking area. Note that they came from an affluent New York City suburb so it is not like they were expecting Mayberry and found Wisteria Lane. Jay

Old 06-17-2009, 04:00 PM

I would also like to add that because CT schools are town-based, you know that part of your property taxes are directly going to your school district and not somebody else's. Because of size, you have a lot more control and say in how the school district is run. In a smaller organization, there is a lot more flexibility in managing the budget as well. In a county system, you have a lot more channels and hoops to jump before change can be effected.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:06 PM

5,233 posts, read 3,811,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need2m0ve View Post
We are a young family with 2 girls (7 and 4) living in Chicago considering moving to either Stamford, CT or Southern California (San Diego, Orange County or north LA if it makes sense). We'd be doing this on our own ... so no job relos etc.

We'd like to know what makes most sense for us. And if someone can give us some pros/cons on each. Important things to us:

a. Schools... Schools... Schools. Good schools are a must
b. Economy (being able to find jobs in IT)
c. Low-crime, safe neighborhoods
d. Family friendly (parks, things for kids to do etc.)

Your Opinions would be much appreciated.
Hmm..asking for a CT and SO Cal comparison on a CT forum...think you are gonna get biased answers? Just curious..

Old 06-17-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Hmm..asking for a CT and SO Cal comparison on a CT forum...think you are gonna get biased answers? Just curious..
If you did a search, you'd find the OP has posted in California as well. She's apparently doing her homework, don't you think?
Connecticut vs. Southern California

Old 06-17-2009, 05:32 PM

5,233 posts, read 3,811,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
If you did a search, you'd find the OP has posted in California as well. She's apparently doing her homework, don't you think?
Connecticut vs. Southern California
Definitely...very good

Old 06-17-2009, 11:43 PM

709 posts, read 958,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
Connecticut, hands down!!! I've never understood the hype associated with California, So. Cal mostly, as I found it to be (no offense) rather dirty and uninspired. Connecticut is a BEAUTIFUL state with (as said above) some of the best schools in the entire nation! Nowhere, have I found endless opportunities for intelligent conversation than I have in Connecticut, everyone you speak to has something to say with a well-balanced opinion and impressive vocabulary. I'm not saying Connecticut is the only state with smart people, but I love the educational aptitude here.

California has a bad reputation now, citing the economic downturn, with seemingly endless forclosure rates and slipping prosperity. However, Connecticut has been lucky. It's almost a bubble (which I don't know is entirely a good thing), I know, for one, that I live in a middle-class town in Eastern Connecticut (the quote on quote "poorer" section of the state) and I have not seen ANYTHING like I have during my travels. I was absolutely amazed when I roadtripped to Florida this past March at how lucky we truly are here in CT. With everyone I know here, I know NO ONE whose parents have lost jobs, lost homes, lost any financial standing. Perhaps this is a bit unbalanced, as I know many in CT have suffered during the economic downturn, but for the most part, we have gone fairly unaffected (don't all jump at once!) I'm not saying we should brag about this fact, simply we should respect what we have and enjoy our comforts.

Connecticut, in relation to the United States would likely be a "0" on a crime scale of 1-10. Sure, we have our cities that have the normal urban problems, but for the most part crime is nearly non-existent here (especially in comparison to California, geesh!) We have a fantastic State Police, and relatively good local police here as well.

I'm sure California has plenty of opportunities for open-space with parks and whatnot, but I'm thoroughly impressed with Connecticut's resume. We have an EXTENSIVE State Park system, with beautiful lakes and forests, rivers and oceans, plenty of open air and land for such a small state. Sure we have our urban clusters and suburban enclaves, but you will not be far from a breath of fresh air.

My vote, for certain, is Connecticut! Put perhaps I'm a bit biased
I agree with everything you say, but you are ignoring the downside. Winter. It's long, cold and gray. From November until April, you can only look forward to the occasional nice day. That's a big drawback for a lot of people. Other than Winter, it's perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut