Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:33 PM

240 posts, read 1,365,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I disagree with this. You choosing NOT to wear a helmet CAN and DOES affect others.
What If my car hits your motorcycle and you are NOT wearing a helmet and you get killed?
That would affect me knowing I killed someone and having to live with it the rest of my life...but if you HAD been wearing a helmet perhaps I would be able to say "at least the guy turned out okay"

Your decision to wear a helmet or not also affects your family directly. For if you get killed in an accident and it's ruled it was due to NOT wearing a helmet that would certainly impact the lives of your family members..

My father and sister both ride motorcycles. My father's brother (my uncle) died in a motorcycle accident when he was only 19 years old when his bike met with a semi though i do believe he was wearing a helmet at the time. Regardless, all riders should wear helmets
What if MY CAR hits you????? Dude, its NOT THE CAR that hit anything, it would be YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You would be at fault, period. What if you hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk who MAY NOT HAVE BEEN WEARING A HELMET??? Do you feel the innocent pedestrian should be more concious of hurting you feelings? So in your mind, when your at fault for killing another motorist/pedestrian/cyclist that person should take YOUR feelings into consideration. Hmmm, lets ponder this. Im outraged at this.

Last edited by JayCT; 06-24-2009 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Removed offensive language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 05:01 PM

240 posts, read 1,365,968 times
I want to add facts you all need to read. This is coming from someone who knows the facts, is a trained educator for cyclist and lives the biker lifestyle. Regardless of your opinion, for or against, the most important issue is ACCIDENT AVOIDANCE. This is a SKILL that some motorcyclist have. Learning the skills from a certified training course instructor is paramount for the new rider. (Its whats IN your head that important, not ON your head.) This is what I have tought others, and those folks are THANKFUL for every maneuver. A helmet, under very slim circumstances can help. However what you folks who DONT ride and DONT fight for bikers rights like the rest of the 1% community dont know is there is not a helmet made that can actually pass the NHSTA test. These are test done under lab conditions attempting to recreate an accident. A helmet, when dropped from 6 feet? Roughly 80% on the market wont hold up. However consider this, a 3 lb. object tied to your head (helmet) at 50 mph becomes a 150 lb. object in a collision. You need not be Einstein to figure that out. The neck is the weakest link on the human body.
Accident avoidance is also the motorist responsibility. Not every motorist is a flaming moron behind the wheel-but I can attest to seeing dozens of youthful offenders a day squalking on their cellphone or just goofing off with friends in the car. The 16-24 yr age group is the greatest risk.. Next up are the elderly who have lost either most or all their motor skills. Elderly drivers who no longer can operate a vehicle safely are a terrible risk to society. Even more of a risk than terrorism! Sad truth. but remember driving a car is an EARNED priveledge.
Look twice--check you mirrors and blindspots before making that left turn (#1 cause of cycle collisions) dont tailgait a bike (In my case you just get an asswhipping) and also before throwing your lit cigarette butt out the window check your rearview for a headlight please.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:45 PM

127 posts, read 519,308 times
Bud, you need to settle down. He was simply articulating a previous point regarding the motorcyclists who do drive recklessly and put their own lives at risk on the road and that their careless driving affects other people. The point has already been made on here that most motorcyclists are very safe and have better skills than the average driver. However, there are those dangerous riders out there and I try to avoid them. Point is that no one on here wants to be involved in an accident that results in a fatality - regardless of who is at fault.

Last edited by JayCT; 06-24-2009 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: Removed offensive quote

Old 06-23-2009, 06:52 PM

277 posts, read 625,255 times
I am a former motorcyclist so this is an important subject to me. Try reading the Hurt report on motorcycle accidents
to see what the main cause is. Try riding a motorcyle and experence the feeling of a car turning left in front of you
when you have the right of way. Many car drivers (Not ALL) suck at driving, they drive distracted doing things like eating, reading, talking on a cellphone and even watching TV. People who for example talk on a phone while driving will many times weave and cut people off, tailgating is also a problem. I get tired of lame excuses from car drivers who say they didn't see the motorcycle they hit, motorcycles have been around for over a 100 years, it's about time
people in cars figure out bikes are on the road too and give them the same attention as the other cars out there.

I know some will say that a bikes smaller profile makes them too hard to see, well I have had cars turn left in front of me at night when I have had a 80 watt halogen headlight on lighting up the road like a spotlight.

All I expect from another driver in a car is to just pay attention and treat driving as the serious responsibility it is.
To all the good drivers who look out for everybody on the road whether they are walking in a cross walk or riding a bike, Thank You.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,906,079 times
Dude lighten up. We get your point. She was only trying to get her feelings across on the subject. Obviously she has personal experience with a relative dying from riding, so let her speak. I'm a rider too, but I'm not as "rabid" about things as you are...

Last edited by JayCT; 06-24-2009 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: Removed offensive quote

Old 06-24-2009, 11:53 AM

2,855 posts, read 10,396,008 times
TOM - I didn't say whose fault it would be in the scenario. I smiply said what if my car hit you?
I've seen motorcyclists weave in and out of traffic like they dont exist plenty of times. If a car were to hit you while you are doing that, the car that hits you is NOT at fault...
Sheesh

Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM

21,553 posts, read 30,976,392 times
Quote:
TOM - I didn't say whose fault it would be in the scenario. I smiply said what if my car hit you?
I've seen motorcyclists weave in and out of traffic like they dont exist plenty of times. If a car were to hit you while you are doing that, the car that hits you is NOT at fault...
Sheesh
Agreed 100%.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:14 PM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Sheesh
The killer for me was the line of motorcyclists (maybe 20 or so) driving on I-91 northbound in Middletown, Cromwell and Rocky Hill that were popping wheelies and riding on only their rear tires. why they were doing this on a busy interstate highway is beyond me. My kids thought it was cool and I never sweated so much driving, not knowing what to do or where to go. I eventually just slowed way down and let them pass ahead of me. Others did the same. It was ridiculous and I had to explain to my kids why this was so dangerous. I hope they understood because if I ever caught them doing that, they would not have to worry about being in an accident (I don't care at what age they are).

I guess my point is that not all car drivers are wrong just like not all motorcyclists do what I saw. Stop generalizing. There are good and bad drivers everywhere and it is not just a matter of what you drive. Jay

Old 06-24-2009, 05:51 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,934,377 times
You drive a cage, they hit the pavement - Regardless of behavior on either side. End of story.

As for the helmet laws...ah nevermind, I'd rather spend time with my son who I havn't see with his eyes open in a couple days. Whatever...

Good night.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,393 times
Default My $.02

Well. let's see. I'm 62 , started riding motorcycles at 17, so 45 years on the road. Accidents??? Yes, luckily not hurt bad. None involved an automobile. Watch out for wet leaves, sand, oil on pavement. It's too much fun to give up until I'm physically unable to ride anymore.

I always wear a helmet, armored jacket, jeans and boots. Best advice to all bikers, novice and experienced. Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginner and Experienced Rider Safety Course and listen to the instructors. Out on the road, drive as if you are invisible and assume nobody else can see you. It's your responsibility to stay safe. Never assume the other guy sees you. When nearing another vehicle, try to make eye contact. You can enjoy your ride and still scan your front, right side mirror, and left side mirror every 30 seconds or so.

I ride Route 2 to and from work and I'm always amazed and disgusted with the idiots who think the slow 3rd lane was put there so they can pass anyone else on the road, especially when traffic is backed up.

Maintain your bike properly. I ride a 2003 Honda VT1100C Shadow Spirit that is as much fun to ride at 60-65 MPH so I very rarely exceed the limit. The young guys on the crotch rockets doing 80-90 + don't impress me since I can see their brains on the back of their seat as they speed by.

Stay safe and remember, " There are old motorcyclists and there are bold motorcyclists, but there are NO old and bold motorcyclists".

My condolences to the family of the young man killed last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut