Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 07:40 AM

11,261 posts, read 18,787,631 times

Advertisements

This is good news:

23 cities where recession is slowing - The Elkhart Project- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 02:49 PM

181 posts, read 555,907 times
It's pretty impressive that CT has 2 of only 23 metros that are moderating from this recession.
I think that Southeastern CT's economy has remained fairly stable due in large part to the massive defense spending that has added more than 500 drafting and engineering jobs at General Dynamics-Electric Boat in the past 8 months alone. However, the large scale of involvment that the hospitality and tourism industry plays in the regions economy leads me to believe that the region will have a much longer and more gradual recovery, forced to lag the national recovery as people continue to pinch their pockets and draw back on pleasure spending; that is unless the region makes considerable concessions to encourage large scale development of other sectors of our economy.

Looks like time will tell.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:37 AM

11,261 posts, read 18,787,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrotonMan View Post
It's pretty impressive that CT has 2 of only 23 metros that are moderating from this recession.
I think that Southeastern CT's economy has remained fairly stable due in large part to the massive defense spending that has added more than 500 drafting and engineering jobs at General Dynamics-Electric Boat in the past 8 months alone. However, the large scale of involvment that the hospitality and tourism industry plays in the regions economy leads me to believe that the region will have a much longer and more gradual recovery, forced to lag the national recovery as people continue to pinch their pockets and draw back on pleasure spending; that is unless the region makes considerable concessions to encourage large scale development of other sectors of our economy.

Looks like time will tell.
I found an article that I posted here about a month ago about another study that said (to my surprise) that New Haven was one of two metro areas at the time with job expansion (the other being Bismarck, ND.....in this post in addition to the 23 metros, Bismarck was the only one that was "not in recession"......even though it makes sense in some odd ways, who'd of ever thought ND would be where the economy is best, LOL? I remember just a couple of years ago reading how it was the state that would have the biggest %age population loss come 2010 census (not counting Katrina effects in LA)).

It is good to see that New London area is doing relatively well, I know part of why Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun were in those areas was to help a bad and declining job base at the time. Though when I went to RPI as an undergrad in the 1980's, quite a few of my classmates ended up in central/eastern CT as GD, Electric Boat, and United Technologies/Pratt and Whitney recruited like crazy from there back then (don't know about now, but I'm sure they still do to some extent). I think it's one reason why RPI put up a "satellite campus" in Hartford (at the time it was so people from those companies could easily get a "tech oriented" MBA, now I believe it is a complete graduate school......)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut