Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:26 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Finding your first job is always the hardest. You need to get out and visit every single repair shop you can get to. After you meet people, follow up with them, even send a thank you note or email. We just hired an intern because he was the only one interviewed who sent a thank you and called back to inquire about the status of the position. Also note that it is not just here that you will find this, it is EVERYWHERE. And remember ATTITUDE is everything. Be positive and smile. I also agree with the suggestion to volunteer or intern. It is a start and that is all you need to get going in the right direction. Good luck, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:50 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,015,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Finding your first job is always the hardest. You need to get out and visit every single repair shop you can get to. After you meet people, follow up with them, even send a thank you note or email. We just hired an intern because he was the only one interviewed who sent a thank you and called back to inquire about the status of the position. Also note that it is not just here that you will find this, it is EVERYWHERE. And remember ATTITUDE is everything. Be positive and smile. I also agree with the suggestion to volunteer or intern. It is a start and that is all you need to get going in the right direction. Good luck, Jay

Its not my first job.

I've had 4 previous jobs.
I have
Experience in warehousing, food chains and retail.

Im trying to find a job that pays more then minimum wage.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
In Connecticut we have faired better than most in terms of employment reductions and housing declines. Let's just hope that our state elected officials don't mess it up by killing the recovering goose.
Well, I think that's the key. The governor and legislature are going to have to face up to the revenue reduction. What they do is going to determine the near and mid term results in this state, and I have little confidence they will make smart choices.

Remember, just over the horizon is the 'pension bomb' that is going to suck a lot of money out of the state treasury as boomer public employees retire.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
2 months of cold weather? S.A.D. in CT? Sorry, but I'm not buying it. Northern Maine maybe, but CT? Good Lord we have two months of "Winter".
There are two kinds of days: (1) days when it's pleasant to ride my motorcycle, and (2) days that suck.

We haven't had very many type (1) days since last October, and June is ending in a week.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:16 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
OK Im 20 years old.
SO of course i would be inexperienced in many areas.

Let me ask you something. How am I suppose to get real world experience as a Mechanic if I cant get any "real world" experience if I cant get an ENTRY LEVEL AUTO TECH job?? DO you realize how retarded that is???
I'll make this simple. There are people 20 years old who have built cars as a hobby from the ground up and never went to school. What separates you from them? They already know how to and have done the work.

By the age of 20 I had a couple years experience working in a body shop, and had been wrenching on my dirt bikes, lawn mowers, go karts, snowmobiles personal hotrod projects etc since about the age of 10.

That's real world experience.

How did I get that job in a body shop? The Summer I turned 16, I showed up at a well known place with a DA in hand (Do you even know what a DA is?) and said "show me the ropes, I'll do whatever you need around the shop". I was shoveling crap out of the guard dog's cage for a few months before I even got a chance to look at a car. I worked for free for the first two months as well.

In other words, start somewhere. Wrench on projects for free. Help friends install performance parts for free. Get some grease under your nails instead of walking up to a shop and saying "I'm still in school, but never did any real mechanic work" To them, that's a sign they will be teaching you the ropes. School doesn't prepare you for much - I hate to tell you.

That's not a problem for some shops who might be willing to groom someone into a position, but with that lack of experience has to come a very good attitude. I'm not seeing either.

P.S. Check the post time. I'm out of the office in about 15 minutes and won't be returning till 7pm. That's called "hard work". I could whine about the economy etc but instead I'm doing something about it and we are staying busy. Make your own way. Other people are not going to do it for you. Some more advice.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:43 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
There are two kinds of days: (1) days when it's pleasant to ride my motorcycle, and (2) days that suck.

We haven't had very many type (1) days since last October, and June is ending in a week.
I can relate to (1). My bike's been in the garage for the past week except for a few rides between showers. However, the whole region is in this weather anomaly. A few summers back we had no rain. Did you or someone you know just buy a new boat or maybe put in a pool? If so, that's a guarantee for a lousy summer. Lol!

That being said, we're probably going to have an awesome fall riding season. Mother nature has a way of balancing things out.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:39 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,015,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I'll make this simple. There are people 20 years old who have built cars as a hobby from the ground up and never went to school. What separates you from them? They already know how to and have done the work.

By the age of 20 I had a couple years experience working in a body shop, and had been wrenching on my dirt bikes, lawn mowers, go karts, snowmobiles personal hotrod projects etc since about the age of 10.

That's real world experience.

How did I get that job in a body shop? The Summer I turned 16, I showed up at a well known place with a DA in hand (Do you even know what a DA is?) and said "show me the ropes, I'll do whatever you need around the shop". I was shoveling crap out of the guard dog's cage for a few months before I even got a chance to look at a car. I worked for free for the first two months as well.

In other words, start somewhere. Wrench on projects for free. Help friends install performance parts for free. Get some grease under your nails instead of walking up to a shop and saying "I'm still in school, but never did any real mechanic work" To them, that's a sign they will be teaching you the ropes. School doesn't prepare you for much - I hate to tell you.

That's not a problem for some shops who might be willing to groom someone into a position, but with that lack of experience has to come a very good attitude. I'm not seeing either.

P.S. Check the post time. I'm out of the office in about 15 minutes and won't be returning till 7pm. That's called "hard work". I could whine about the economy etc but instead I'm doing something about it and we are staying busy. Make your own way. Other people are not going to do it for you. Some more advice.

Hmmm.. OKay I wake up at 6:15 in the morning..... go to school till 12:30 get home at 1:30 p.m. Search for jobs in that time span. Head into work at 5:00 P.m and work until 2:00 A.M. On the weeks that I have my weekends I do nothing but search for jobs. I send about 50 resumes a day. So I know what hard work is. Theres day I don't sleep because I have to study.

I dont have the "luxury" of working for free. Time is money. Money is bills. Bills need to be paid. So no I'm not going to be working for free. Am I demanding 20,000$ a year? No. 9-10$ an hour is 2 much?

I have my own tools. So yes I do tinker around.

All through my life I have always been doing something "constructive or positive." So I'm tired of people playing as some kid who thinks he deserves the world and thinks he doesnt have to lift a finger.

BUt BACK ON TOPIC. The point is there are no jobs here for people my age. How would you know? DO you go to school with my age group do you hang out with my age group? NO. Cause if you did you would know IM right. Most of us are working minimum wage jobs or just got laid off. Like I was saying there are no jobs. You can either join the service or collect unemployment and ummm I'm not doing either. I take option C which is moving where theres more opportunity.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:57 AM

9 posts, read 28,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
BUt BACK ON TOPIC. The point is there are no jobs here for people my age. How would you know? DO you go to school with my age group do you hang out with my age group? NO. Cause if you did you would know IM right. Most of us are working minimum wage jobs or just got laid off. Like I was saying there are no jobs. You can either join the service or collect unemployment and ummm I'm not doing either. I take option C which is moving where theres more opportunity.
It's a tough economy, and in these difficult times, CT is not a bad place to be. Of course, I can say this because I have a job, but things here are steady. It could tip either way any second but for now, be grateful that you are not in an area that experienced the 90's boom in real estate (like Charlotte, NC or Henderson, NV).

You should keep visiting potential places of work and don't give up. Call and follow up on EACH opportunity, not once, or twice, but often. Every other day if necessary. Sometimes it's good to be a pain in the butt. It shows interest and drive! Best of luck to you.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:45 PM

113 posts, read 517,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I can relate to (1). My bike's been in the garage for the past week except for a few rides between showers. However, the whole region is in this weather anomaly. A few summers back we had no rain. Did you or someone you know just buy a new boat or maybe put in a pool? If so, that's a guarantee for a lousy summer. Lol!

That being said, we're probably going to have an awesome fall riding season. Mother nature has a way of balancing things out.
In South Carolina I have been riding all year long.

In January we will still get days in the high 60's and low 70's. From March 1st till Jan 1st I can ride comfortably most the time.

The thing I have noticed is that down here for the most part car drivers are more aware and careful of motorcyclists. Maybe it's just that there are so many more bikers on the roads here.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:47 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Outside of Southern California, you'll find this anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehawk View Post
The thing I have noticed is that down here for the most part car drivers are more aware and careful of motorcyclists. Maybe it's just that there are so many more bikers on the roads here.
And less cars. Certainly any non-congested area is going to be better for a biker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut