Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,797,775 times

Advertisements

There have been many threads about leaving Connecticut for areas in the south due to the high costs of living here, the weather, and/or better job prospects. The latest data on employment indicates that the Northeast region may be the best place to weather out this economy with the lowest unemployment rate of 8.3%. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090619/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_state_unemployment (broken link)

In Connecticut we have faired better than most in terms of employment reductions and housing declines. Let's just hope that our state elected officials don't mess it up by killing the recovering goose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 05:00 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,878,491 times
I saw that article too and found it interesting, especially given how you'd think the financial industry meltdown would greatly affect the NY and Boston areas. This is also despite RI's 12% rate.

No Northeast state is in the top 10 for low unemployment (though NH is close), but as a region we appear to be solid. Cool!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:23 AM

113 posts, read 517,251 times
Personally I am happy I left. I couldn't tolerate 2 months of good weather a year. I could never live in Ct. again. For me it's just not worth it. Nothing much to do except hibernate or go to NY or Boston. Too expensive for what it has to offer. For two the major cities there really are shabby and crime ridden. I got robbed in Bridgeport and New Haven.

My soon to be ex-wife is another story. She prefers Ct. So she is heading back.

To each his own I guess.

In South Carolina where I am if anything happend to my job there is nothing and I mean NOTHING out there!

We are selling the house and when it sells I will rent for as long as my job lasts. But am making plans to head to Florida.

South Florida has relatively low unemployment by todays standards. Miami-dade 8%.

Bridgeport is running over 12% now.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:46 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehawk View Post
Personally I am happy I left. I couldn't tolerate 2 months of good weather a year. I could never live in Ct. again. For me it's just not worth it. Nothing much to do except hibernate or go to NY or Boston. Too expensive for what it has to offer. For two the major cities there really are shabby and crime ridden. I got robbed in Bridgeport and New Haven.

To each his own I guess.

In South Carolina where I am if anything happend to my job there is nothing and I mean NOTHING out there!

We are selling the house and when it sells I will rent for as long as my job lasts. But am making plans to head to Florida.

South Florida has relatively low unemployment by todays standards. Miami-dade 8%.

Bridgeport is running over 12% now.
Connecticut has a lot more than just two months of good weather. I personally would rather be cooped-up for a couple of months in the winter than have to deal with the oppressive heat from April to October. At least I do not have to maintain a yard in the winter here.

As for your unemployment comparison, you are comparing apples and oranges. Miami-Dade is a metropolitan region while your number for Bridgeport is just for the city itself. If you looked at the metropolitan Bridgeport area, you would see a much lower number. I wish you well in south Florida, but it is truly a place I would not want to live. JMHO, Jay

Old 06-24-2009, 08:14 AM

202 posts, read 704,415 times
Well, so far I am happy I left CT. I've been enjoying the warm weather here in VA, I'm in a low crime area and the people are friendlier. But I have the advantage of telecommuting so my job is not tied to the area I live in. Still, people are different and like different things so there is no one best place to live for everyone. (For example, I often felt cooped up from Nov. thru Apr in CT and I like hot humid nights--well, as long as there is A/C.)

Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 AM

44 posts, read 153,801 times
First off, I agree to each their own -- if you like the lifestyle in FL or VA or wherever, then great, you should live there and enjoy it. That said, I laughed when I read the comment about "only 2 months of good weather" in CT and wanting to move to Miami. I lived in Miami for 8 years and that was exactly my complaint about FL! January and February are pretty nice, but the rest of the year it's oppressively hot and humid and you spend your life running from one air conditioned space to another, sweating like mad in between. Add to that the crime, crowding and the insane traffic... man, I wouldn't move back there if you paid me. Literally -- I've turned down good job opportunities in MIA. That's not to say that I didn't also have a lot of fun in FL, and plenty of good memories, but to me the grass is much, much greener in New England.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:08 AM

502 posts, read 1,391,875 times
I hated having to leave CT. We sold our CT home in Sept. '07 (just before the market went down) and rented, intending to save up to build, until we discovered mold in our rental home. Rented another "executive" rental the next town over; mold again! We looked around the whole state of CT and could not find anything suitable in our price range that was modern, clean, safe, convenient, with central air and a two car garage, that was built after 1830 in a nice area, in time for us to remain in CT. So here we are in NC....

In a new construction 3,000 sq.ft. home, 4 bed w/bonus room, 3.5 bath, dual zone a/c, 2 car garage, granite kitchen, crown molding everywhere, in a nice neighborhood of $400k+ homes, for $1000 less per month than the moldy CT place. Actually I'm saving more than that per month which is why I'm able to have a lawn service also. The people here in the Raleigh/RTP area are great... many are relocated Yankees. The culture is different, but nice. People are pleasant and patient with one another. I will take away some good memories (and good recipes for 'cue!) when I eventually move back to CT, hopefully to build a house.

The weather is sunny, hot, humid. I like the sun, the humidity not so much. To each his own. CT is in my blood and is where I feel at home. It's something I can't easily explain. I feel tied to the land, the NE atmosphere. I have started other threads about how much I miss CT.

I only wish the rental scene were better there. There is a huge gap between things that are acceptable but renting for 2 or 3x a mortgage, and "too affordable" in the way of bad area/condition/unsafe. I looked at something for rent in Windsor for $2500/month that was full of flies. I looked at a 3,500 s.f. beautiful new home in Middlebury, reproduction style, for under $3k, but had a water damaged roof, and the landlord was not willing to sign something to let us out of the lease if it were to prove an ongoing issue. We tried to slice it this way, and that... but staying in CT with the clock running out was not going to work. Too bad so many empty McMansions are just sitting there on the market with owners not willing to come down a little in the rent. I guess they're afraid of having "riff raff" tenants??? I think there are a lot of others like us out there who are responsible professional people who really need a nice, safe, clean, convenient rental in a good area. Many of those homes have been listed for rent for well over a year and more.... oh well!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 AM

113 posts, read 517,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Connecticut has a lot more than just two months of good weather. I personally would rather be cooped-up for a couple of months in the winter than have to deal with the oppressive heat from April to October. At least I do not have to maintain a yard in the winter here.

As for your unemployment comparison, you are comparing apples and oranges. Miami-Dade is a metropolitan region while your number for Bridgeport is just for the city itself. If you looked at the metropolitan Bridgeport area, you would see a much lower number. I wish you well in south Florida, but it is truly a place I would not want to live. JMHO, Jay

It is a personal choice for sure. It's been 95 and humid the past week and it doesn't bother me a bit.
I lived in Ct. for 40 years and got severely depressed every September. Seasonal affect disorder.
Since I moved south I am a lot happier. I need the warmth and sunshine. I hate the cold. I like being outside all year round and not feeling that bone chilling cold.

Like I said, my soon to be ex-wife is a different story. Although she has more friends down here than she did there it just doesn't feel like home to her. And she likes the seasons. I hate to rake or shovel snow. So yes, she prefers Ct. over the south and is moving back.

Oh, and I'm not taking care of a lawn year round. There are condos down here for 89k 2bed/2bath 1150sq.ft. new construction 2 miles from the beach. Pool,cabana,spa and I can swim comfortably 9-10 months of the year.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:16 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,014,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehawk View Post

Absolutely agree.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:19 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,014,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
There have been many threads about leaving Connecticut for areas in the south due to the high costs of living here, the weather, and/or better job prospects. The latest data on employment indicates that the Northeast region may be the best place to weather out this economy with the lowest unemployment rate of 8.3%. Jobless rate in Western US tops 10 percent - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090619/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_state_unemployment - broken link)

In Connecticut we have faired better than most in terms of employment reductions and housing declines. Let's just hope that our state elected officials don't mess it up by killing the recovering goose.
There's still no jobs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut