Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,187 times

Advertisements

hi guys my name is tammu,
if any one could give me an advice.
one of my brother got admission in bridgeport university, can anyone tell me wether bridgeport is a good place or not, also about the university

i just wanna confirm this because i heard that bridgeport is not a safe place, please advice

thank you very much

Last edited by tammu; 06-29-2009 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 02:44 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
If schools are not an issue I would definitely recommend West Haven. There are many affordable homes in West Haven and the West Shores beach is one of the nicest in the area.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 7,095 times
Normally I wouldn't recommend living in Bridgeport with children as the schools here have a lot of drug and violence problems. (Metal detectors and guards are the norm at the high schools). But since you are homeschooling, that's different. The nicer areas are Black Rock down by the coast and the North End, but that's if you must live within City limits.

If you want a more suburban area, I am originally from the Newtown/Monroe area and can tell you that it is very nice and quiet up there, a little more down to earth than the affluent west-of-Bridgeport towns like Fairfield and Westport. Can still be pricey though, and rentals are hard to come by up there, mostly single-family houses, no apartment buildings and few if any condo developments. Trumbull is very nice and as I recall ranked very high in the Nation's Best 100 Places to live, of course I can't remember what number.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:49 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammu View Post
one of my brother got admission in bridgeport university, can anyone tell me wether bridgeport is a good place or not, also about the university

i just wanna confirm this because i heard that bridgeport is not a safe place, please advice

thank you very much
Bridgeport is a large city and has typical large city issues. The area around the University of Bridgeport is not the best but it is not the worst either. Your brother will just have to be careful going out at night and not walking around alone. The university does have very active security that helps and there are many students around the campus. Jay

Old 06-30-2009, 12:17 PM

thnak you very much jay.thank you

Old 06-30-2009, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 8,996 times
Thank you all for your advice. At this point we are leaning toward Milford. There seems to be a good variety of homes for rent in our price range. My husband is moving up next week and will be looking around for us. The kids and I will be staying in Alabama until the end of August or beginning of September so I can get things settled here and get the house on the market. It is not the best time to sell, so I can only hope that it will go quickly.

Thank you again for all of your input.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:26 PM

248 posts, read 721,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammu View Post

thank you very much
I lived in CT for 4 years.. I went to UB in 2001-2003. I had a lot of good time there.. but given a chance I would have gone to another school.. for better education and prospects.. are you from CT? tell me why you choose UB and I maybe able to give you options as to what other schools rank in the range or better than UB.

Living around UB is very cheap.. but it may require some guts and being careful at night. There is good public transport and if your brother wants to live in a safer area and still go to UB.. I can recommend other towns in 20/30mins train or driving distance..

Old 07-01-2009, 11:07 AM

thank you very much,
iam not from ct,i 've never been to bridgeport,my brother applied for 2 universitys one was,fit and the other one is bridgeport,bu was the first responce, and he was insisting more on it, but i ve been hearing about brigeport as a tough and not so safe place, and i wanted to know more about it from friends who have been there especially in the university.

please give me other options , the university and also the the towns, i need all the valuable advice,thank you very much bluetruckguy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut