U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-09-2006, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 5,200 times
Default best family places to live in or near Meriden?

Hi all,

I have a job prospect in Meriden and would like to know more about the area and best places to live within a 20-30 minute drive radius.

I know it's expensive in CT - but as we currently live in Southern Maryland within 1/2 hours drive of DC - we understand "pricey".

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-09-2006, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 14,562 times
Along the coast are beautiful areas but pricey. Guilford, Madison and Branford are wonderful areas! good luck

Unread 07-09-2006, 11:54 AM

869 posts, read 2,686,460 times
I believe Cheshire is around Meridan and from what I can remember a very nice area. (went to school at Cheshire Academy in the late 70's)

Unread 07-13-2006, 11:18 AM

5 posts, read 19,864 times
Default wethersfield, rocky hill, cromwell, west hartford

all four of these are good. all are 10-15 minutes from meriden and also close to hartford ( 5-10 minutes) and New Haven (20-30 minutes). Best area in the state. Everything but the coast is at your fingertips. The coast is aboue 30-60 minutes depending on where you want to go.

Unread 07-15-2006, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 7,435 times
Default Meriden's Surrounding Towns

Plainville is definitely on the rise... good education and reasonable home value. Southbury/Middlebury are both wonderful family towns (Southbury moreso) with phenomenal school system. Meriden is actually not a bad place to live... it all depends on what you're looking for.

Unread 08-14-2006, 03:38 PM

442 posts
Connecticut is pricey is some areas- but except for parts Fairfield county is much less then the DC area- median house price in the DC area is 440K- in central Connecticut 250K-big difference-

Meriden has some good areas and not so good area- surrounding towns I suggest you investigate include;
Wallingford (just a few miles to the south on I 91-nice town-good schools and neighborhoods
Cromwell- just up I 91 10 miles or so- very pleasant town- real nice neighborhoods- some upscale- very good schools
Cheshire- same can be said for this town as for the two above.

All these towns offer low crime, good schools, ample shopping, great local services .Wallingford is closer to New Haven- Meriden is in between Hartford and New Haven-while Cromwell is a suburb of Hartford.

If you are a half hour from DC you will be very surprised by the cost of housing here.

Unread 08-15-2006, 10:20 PM

119 posts, read 438,178 times
I would work but not live in Meriden. I grew up in Meriden for 28 years. My parents still live there. You can buy a home for less $$$ but pay quite a bit more in taxes. The mill rate has gone up quite a bit. It's not the same place I grew up in. I agree with Dragondog in considering Wallingford and maybe even Southington, Berlin, Cromwell, Cheshire. All of these towns are minutes from the highway to get you anywhere and they are all very pleasant towns to live in....all with great school systems. Not to mention that they are minutes away from Meriden. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut