Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 05:39 PM

834 posts, read 2,275,261 times

Advertisements

oh okay. Like I said, I don't mind at all. I have better things to spend my money on now. I didn't realize how badly Tampa was overdeveloped until I moved. I mean, I knew it was crowded, but now I go back and it blows my mind that where I used to live, in the burbs of Tampa, there are 4 walmart within 20 minutes and 5 grocery stores within 15 minutes. I think there are so many malls because it's too hot to do anything but walk around the mall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 06:23 PM

243 posts, read 773,007 times
To brasscity. The Milford Mall is in a lot better condition than the Trumbull Mall. The Trumbull Mall is basically in Bridgeport, it is literally a 2 second walk and you cross the border and are in Bridgeport. Also, you questioned if people aren't robbing others and are actually purchasing then why re-direct them and stop bus service. Well I have been going to the Trumbull Mall for a very long time and let me tell you it can get real violent in there. I've seen a group of people literally run over an old couple because they wanted to steal fountain drinks from the food court with a cup from another fast-food restaurant. I've seen shouting matches, pretty bad fights, I've seen a guy hop into a car with a flat screen tv and almost maul down a bunch of shoppers as he fled employees of the store on THE BUSIEST shopping day of the season. There is a police sub-station in the Trumbull Mall for a resason and that is because the crime and unnecessary people being there is insane.

The mall needs to cater to those who actually shop. The Trumbull Mall currently has tons of vacant space and its because they can't attract any high end retailers that actually are doing good in this economy. The demographics of Trumbull and surrounding communities allow for lots of shopping, but everyone knows that Bridgeport owns that mall, and because of this the mall is hurting and continues to decline. It's bad to say and your are going to say that I'm singling out certain people from the inner city but it is true.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
It's bad to say and your are going to say that I'm singling out certain people from the inner city but it is true.
The truth ain't always pretty or PC, however the truth is the truth. This happened a lot in Tampa. Every time they built a new mall in Tampa, whatever mall was close to that one and older would become the teenage, gangbanger mall. And eventually that mall would close. Malls aren't playgrounds and it's just good business sense to cater to the people who are actually spending money and not there to hang out, buy drugs, steal, etc.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:56 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,828,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
The demographics of Trumbull and surrounding communities allow for lots of shopping, but everyone knows that Bridgeport owns that mall, and because of this the mall is hurting and continues to decline. It's bad to say and your are going to say that I'm singling out certain people from the inner city but it is true.
Definitely. One of the main reasons for my last visit to that mall was to compare their Target to the other Trumbull Target located on Hawley Lane. I figured there wouldn't be a problem since there is a direct entrance from the parking lot.

As much as service has slipped at Hawley Lane in the past year, i'll still take it any day over the new store. The new place was just overrun with sketchy loud sleazeballs. I wasn't expecting to find that within the store, i thought they would be relegated to the common areas and the food courts. Wrong!!! I will not ever return to that mall, no matter what stores they add. I'll go to Milford.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:13 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,839,451 times
Sorry folks, but I am lmao at the descriptions of Trumbull Mall. Thank you for the amusement.

Trumbull Mall is in Trumbull and Trumbull's crime stats reflect the "crime" at the mall. Per CD, Trumbull's crime rate is 104. To put in perspective Bridgeports is 584 and Stratfords is 216. So this is crime ridden territory?

The area bordering the mall is the North End of Bridgeport...described by many posters here as solid middle class.

On any given day, try to find parking outside Lord & Taylor. The Trumbull mall also has shops like Ann Taylor, Talbots, A & F, & AE.

Next time I go there, I'll make sure I dodge the bullets flying!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:58 PM

243 posts, read 773,007 times
You don't get it. Are there bullets flying by, no. But have armored trucks been robbed at gun point there? Yes they have. Have shanks been pulled out in fights, you better believe it. Tons of bad news goes on at the mall. Yes, the Trumbull Mall is bordered by the North End which is still a great area of Bridgeport, the problem is the GBTA brings citizens from Marina Village, the Southside, Eastside, etc. These areas of crime-ridden and economically struggling, and that is brought to the mall. Whether you like this statement or not, it is 100% true. Groups of individuals ranging from their teens, into there 20's and beyond go to the mall and do nothing but hang out. Yes this is common at alot of malls, but when people's security is threatened, it becomes a problem. That is the the reason there is a police sub-station in that mall, point blank, crime occurs there, ALOT. I have seen it numerous times. Go back and read my post about what I have seen, and I can add too it. Like the time I saw 10 people posted up against the wall and being searched by Trumbull cops and one take off and literaly run out the door. Seriously, go park anywhere else rather than Lord and Taylor most likely the most upscale store in the Trumbull Mall. The mall is dead with lots of vacant spots and that will only continue to get worse.

And let's not talking about AF and AE being nice stores, they are far from that.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,828,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Sorry folks, but I am lmao at the descriptions of Trumbull Mall. Thank you for the amusement.
Trumbull Mall is in Trumbull and Trumbull's crime stats reflect the "crime" at the mall. Per CD, Trumbull's crime rate is 104. To put in perspective Bridgeports is 584 and Stratfords is 216. So this is crime ridden territory?
The area bordering the mall is the North End of Bridgeport...described by many posters here as solid middle class.
I think you're misunderstanding the other posters here. Nobody has stated that the town of Trumbull is crime-ridden, nor that the upper Main Street area of Bridgeport isn't a perfectly fine area. The problem is that the sketchy element from those not so nice neighborhoods of Bridgeport like to hang at the mall.

Let's put it in perspective this way: Bridgeport is 584 overall. If you excluded that North End border area out of the equation, what would it do to that 584? What if you excluded Brooklawn, Treeland, and Black Rock west of say, Ellsworth? Then what would that number look like? It would be off the charts. And the simple point is, that is the type of element that is beginning to infiltrate the confines of that mall.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:17 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,839,451 times
I like statistics and I will stick with Trumbulls 104 crime rate.

And, not only do I love Ann Taylor, Talbots and AF and AE, I also love Old Navy and Target. And as teen, I hung out at the mall, too!

Yikes, maybe it's just that I am one of those many "sleazeball" shoppers.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 PM

127 posts, read 520,414 times
SW CT is geared a bit less toward the "mall culture" than other parts of the state IMO. Milford Mall and Stamford Town Center are not as large as Buckland and West Farms. Greenwich Avenue, Westport center, downtown New Canaan, and even downtown New Haven offer a pretty significant variety of nationally recognized stores as well as the more high end stores that are not always found in a mall setting.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:35 PM

Just because something isn't a crime doesn't mean I want to be around it. I go to the mall to shop and spend my money..... in peace. I would rather not shop at a mall if it means little gangster wannabees, loud talkers, teens hanging out in groups, etc. They don't have to be committing crimes to be completely and utterly annoying. Apparently other people feel the same way because when malls become hang outs for thugs and less of a haven for people who actually shop, that mall's days are numbered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut