U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:57 PM

243 posts, read 629,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I like statistics and I will stick with Trumbulls 104 crime rate.

And, not only do I love Ann Taylor, Talbots and AF and AE, I also love Old Navy and Target. And as teen, I hung out at the mall, too!

Yikes, maybe it's just that I am one of those many "sleazeball" shoppers.
I like statistics too, look at the statistics that show the amount of crimes that occur in that mall.

That mall is in terrible condition, terrible.

From the CTPost:

Quote:
TRUMBULL -- Shoppers can get beauty makeovers at cosmetic counters at the Westfield Trumbull mall. Now, the mall itself will get a makeover as the Australia-based owner of the mall plans a $25 million upgrade to the Main Street shopping center. "It's long awaited," said Chuck DiGiovanna, senior vice president of development for Westfield's Northeast region. "There will be an all-new interior, all-new exterior and a brand new food court."
Westfield's chief operating officer, John Widdup, said he's excited about the project, with work slated to start this fall and expected to last about a year.
"This is such a fantastic property," Widdup said. The first U.S. mall purchased by Westfield in 1977 is due for a renovation, he said. "What we need to do is lift it up and make it look fantastic and the demand will come."
The plans do not call for any expansion of the building's 1.2 million square feet nor an increase over the current lineup of 150 stores. Westfield officials said they do not expect any changes in the mall's anchor stores, which include Macy's, JC Penney and Target.
The work will be done mainly at night, officials said.
Widdup said Westfield officials have not considered putting off the renovations because of the economy.
"It really is a sign of a great commitment to the community," DiGiovanna said. "None are being built and very few are being invested in. The fact that we're spending $25 million in this environment is
a testament to that commitment."

For the town, First Selectman Raymond G. Baldwin Jr. said the renovations will mean about $427,000 in new taxes. "We're very, very excited," he said. "Westfield has always been a great corporate neighbor."
The mall is the town's largest taxpayer, and on the 2008 grand list, the property had an assessed value of $127.23 million.
Among the renovations are new facades and entryways, new common areas with stone and wood decor, landscaping and leather furniture, new lighting and skylights, porcelain glass tile floors on the lower level and carpeting on the upper level, new and renovated restrooms, a remodeled food court and dining terrace under an atrium, and a family lounge and play space.
The idea, DiGiovanna said, is to market the Trumbull shopping center as the region's "fashion" mall with a range from "affordable luxury" to everyday basics. The complex will also be divided into districts, with themes of fashion, family, juniors, food and entertainment offerings.
Westfield Trumbull mall upgrade $25 million in renovations planned to the shopping complex, which is Trumbull's largest taxpayer. Changes to the property expected to generate about $427,000 in new taxes to the town. Renovations will include new facades and entryways, new common areas with stone and wood decor, landscaping and leather furniture, new lighting and skylights, new and renovated restrooms, remodeled food court and dining terrace, and play space. Mall officials say project is designed to market the Trumbull shopping center as the region's "fashion" mall with a range from "affordable luxury" to everyday basics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 PM

12,049 posts, read 8,678,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
Stamford Town Center will only get better as the years go on.
I don't know about that.

I have a number of friends and relatives in the Greenwich area who would rather drive to the Westchester in White Plains than the short hop to Stamford. I thought it was just a snob thing until my wife and I visited a week ago.

We used to live in Norwalk. We liked visiting the Town Center. We brought our young kids every Christmas. It was a very pleasant shopping experience any time of year. But we moved, and there were other malls closer by. Our last visit was early 2006 for a shoe store.

We visited last week, and while some stores are still there, the vibe in the mall has changed. Different clientele, different security, rude shop people. The new stores are boring. I'm having trouble wrapping my arms around just how different a shopping experience it was from 3 years ago and putting it into words...but malls do die from a certain neglect, and the Town Center has an aging, unlovely feel about it.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,220,101 times
I do hope downtowns come back. In Greenwich however, the Banana Republic there closed. Unfortunate as they are a good retailer to have in a downtown considering they cater to the older more affluent shopper. Westport has one and I love the one they have in Princeton, NJ.

As far as Bridgeport goes, I believe that city is losing population faster than the surrounding towns. The birthrate of the inner city poor has cratered and many others are moving down South. Just as long as the Mexican's don't come i hoards to replace the people there now, then the demographics point to good for the future.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:08 PM

8,780 posts, read 15,968,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I like statistics and............
LOL. Statistics say quite a few animals like to hang out at that mall. Hopefully you won't run in to someone like this fine Bridgeport citizen on your next visit.:
Homeowner assaulted by defecating man - The Connecticut Post Online (http://www.connpost.com/localnews/ci_12710145 - broken link)

"The incident began when Ramirez saw a man enter his property through a gate, unbuckle his pants and squat on his lawn......"

Old 06-30-2009, 11:20 PM

420 posts, read 988,895 times
I was actually VERY surprised that the Crystal Mall in Waterford wasn't on the list of HUGELY underperforming malls around the nation. Has anyone been there lately? A relative ghost town, complete with those metal gates at nearly every store. To think, that just ten years ago the mall was BOOMING with business, it's quite sad to see the mall in its current state. It's dilapidated, dirty, overrun with "undesirables" as we have been putting it, and all around a bad experience.

Also, as for Connecticut not being a "mall haven" I can honestly say I COULDN'T BE MORE HAPPIER THAT IT IS NOT. Why would you want ugly mall after ugly mall, town after town?! Our malls are evenly placed amidst the populace, and I think there are PLENTY. I read that article, and I think it called malls a "dying breed," and I cannot help but agree. I think new developments in Connecticut will be geared towards that Main Street style (Evergreen Walk anyone?!) which I think is so much more appropriate for our state.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 AM

15,301 posts, read 21,431,502 times
I agree with JJBradley that the Stamford mall is doing just fine. Everytime I've been there it was pretty crowded - lots of hotels in the area and families. The people who live in Wilton, New Canaan, Darien and Norwalk go to the Stamford Mall if they need to shop. Greenwich folks normally go to Westchester.

I'm always surprised at how busy the Milford Post mall is, and the Danbury Mall. Vacant Filenes is an eyesore but I have faith that something decent will lease the space. They just redid the whole mall and it looks pretty nice with more upscale stores. They will soon have a trendy "waterless" car wash with valet service while you shop - I'd compare it somewhat to the West Farms now.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:44 AM

15,301 posts, read 21,431,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
LOL. Statistics say quite a few animals like to hang out at that mall. Hopefully you won't run in to someone like this fine Bridgeport citizen on your next visit.:
Homeowner assaulted by defecating man - The Connecticut Post Online (http://www.connpost.com/localnews/ci_12710145 - broken link)

"The incident began when Ramirez saw a man enter his property through a gate, unbuckle his pants and squat on his lawn......"
That's a pretty funny/gross story. I think lots of weirdos hang out at every mall, but I know a few people who have gotten their car broken into at the Trumbull Mall. The Brass Mill Center I won't go to unless I have to, too many obnoxious teens. Milford mall has gotten better in recent years.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:41 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,144,854 times
Ok...interesting question about national ranks for the performance of the malls? I've got no idea where to get that. RetailingToday.com did not have any articles either... so... hmmm

As a side note. CRIME STORIES
Back in the late 70's an 80+ yo woman was bludgeoned to death with a ballpin hammer in the back parking lot of Trumbull as she sat in the car waiting for her daughter to pick something up at DM Read's Dept. Store. The criminal wanted her handbag. No one saw a thing.

Bpt mall was still open back then.

There was an organized crime victim left in his car in front of the movie theater in the 80's

There was the body of a "Working girl" left in a dumpster on TSP grounds in the 90's.

The video arcade was moved from the center to the downstairs edge, then removed all together because of gangs rumbling over which colors got walk in which hallway. (that was before the thing was turned into a glorified loop). And the lower entrance was closed and turned into truck deliveries.

I know that the Radio shak had a manager punched in the face and locked in the back room, as the cash register was stolen.

Who remembers New Haven's downtown mall? It was very pretty in there, but when Macy's closed, then the rough $$ times of the 80's hit. Poof, gone was the mall. Actually I think it is just locked up because the stores around the outside perimeter of the building are still open, but there is no way inside anymore.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:27 AM

243 posts, read 629,462 times
Thanks for the stories. I'm trying to tell people that the Trumbull Mall has lots of crime, more crime than any mall should have. If you look at the Stamford Town Center, The Westchester, West Farms, even Danbury and to a lesser extent Milford, they don't have nearly as much crime as the Trumbull Mall.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 AM

2,878 posts, read 8,103,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I don't know about that.

I have a number of friends and relatives in the Greenwich area who would rather drive to the Westchester in White Plains than the short hop to Stamford. I thought it was just a snob thing until my wife and I visited a week ago.

We used to live in Norwalk. We liked visiting the Town Center. We brought our young kids every Christmas. It was a very pleasant shopping experience any time of year. But we moved, and there were other malls closer by. Our last visit was early 2006 for a shoe store.

We visited last week, and while some stores are still there, the vibe in the mall has changed. Different clientele, different security, rude shop people. The new stores are boring. I'm having trouble wrapping my arms around just how different a shopping experience it was from 3 years ago and putting it into words...but malls do die from a certain neglect, and the Town Center has an aging, unlovely feel about it.
I agree with you that the Stamford Town Center could use some improvements to make the center more "recent", but the addition of the outdoor plaza and the renovated food court did wonders to its image.

You think the new stores are boring? What constitutes an "exciting" store for you? There's Barnes and Noble, H&M, Zara, JCrew, Alan Edmonds (new shoe store), an Apple store, and a lot of other really great places to shop, typical of most major malls. The restaurants added are really good places to hang on a weeknight out and about.

I think the mall can only improve. Residential density is all around and continues to improve with the addition of higher income shoppers. I see it evolving and continuing to grow and change for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut