Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times

Advertisements

I thought this was an interesting read, regarding worst-performing and top-performing malls in the US.

Looks like 4 of the top 10 best-performing malls in the country, are in the NYC area--2 on Long Island and 2in NJ. See link below:

America's Most Profitable Malls - Rick Newman (usnews.com)

I wonder where Stamford Town Center, Danbury Fair Mall, and the Westfield Mall in Trumbull would compare? Anyone know where to find those stats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 03:07 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
I am not sure those stats are available to the public but West Farms Mall in West Hartford and Farmington is one of the most successful in the state. Stamford may not be as successful because it has a lot of competition from New York City and White Plains. Jay

Old 06-29-2009, 03:14 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
I'd say, out of the three malls, Stamford may be poised as the healthiest. I could be wrong, but it is located in the center of downtown, several blocks from the Metro North train station and surrounded by high rise upper middle class/well off residents.
It has a Saks, Macy's and the new wing of Barnes and Noble and H&M--along with several outdoor plaza restaurant chains. I see new stores opening consistently, although there are several more vacancies this year than last of course.
I know Filene's in Danbury's mall has been closed for a couple years--which is a red flag for a lot of malls. Haven't ever been there though.
Target opened somewhat recently (within a few months) at the Westfield Mall in Trumbull, but there were a few increased vacant stores last time I was there in late 08.

I think malls overall are a dying breed. I think retailers will return to "main street" style shopping to replace a lot of malls in the future.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I know Filene's in Danbury's mall has been closed for a couple years--which is a red flag for a lot of malls.
The mall is nice enough (though it has pretty much the same stuff all malls have) but their failure to land an anchor store for this long cannot be a good sign.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:54 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,775 times
I read a similar article this morning on Yahoo about malls struggling. Thankfully, non of the cited malls were in New England. In my recent trips to West Farms, Meriden Mall, and the Mall of New Hampshire I would be highly surprised if we see struggling malls here in this region.

We are quite fortunate in New England, in general, to have escaped the worst wrath of this dismal economy. As the economy took off many looked to areas in the south and cited them as areas to emulate for future job growth. Now, many of these areas are experiencing some of the worst job losses.

New England's reputation of the land of steady habits has many positives.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:50 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
The Buckland area of Manchester seems busy as ever. Some point to some "closed stores" and there are a few, but it has nothing to do with a particular store being busy or not, it has to do with the company tanking nationally. (I.E. Circuit City)

Old 06-30-2009, 07:28 AM

Believe it or not, overall Connecticut is considered to be "under-retailed", meaning that it has less stores than other parts of the country. The problems with the malls noted in the distressed mall article is that there is significant competition in those areas and the weaker malls are failing. In Connecticut however, multiple malls were not built in major metropolitan areas. A metropolitan area like Hartford would normally have more than just two malls. Even more unusual is that New Haven only has one. Jay

Old 06-30-2009, 08:13 AM

243 posts, read 773,829 times
Stamford Town Center will only get better as the years go on. The mall is geared to the wealthy residents of the Stamford area and while I agree with someone that the mall is dying, upscale malls will still excell. As for the Trumbull Mall, I can't even walk into that place anymore, it's turning into a disgrace. The crime that occurs there, fighting, shouting, numerous thefts, etc. is sickening. There is a reason for the police sub-station there, and that is no environment I want to be around when shopping. The only thing that boggles my mind is the fact that the Trumbull area deserves a more upscale shopping center. The residents of Trumbull, Easton, Shelton, Monroe, Newtown, Fairfield have to go far to get any sort of decent shopping. There are some nice stores in the Trumbull Mall, but for the most part it does not compare. Look at the West Farms Mall in Farmington/West Hartford, you have J.Crew, Williams and Sonoma, Nordstrom's, etc. etc, even a Louis Vuitton for crying out loud. In Trumbull any decent store seems to be moving out and replaced with some cheaply retailer that changes every other month. I think the Trumbull Mall is an area where you can have a great, great retail shopping center but for some reason that has not, or is not occuring. I guess it just takes the right investors.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:13 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
The residents of Trumbull, Easton, Shelton, Monroe, Newtown, Fairfield have to go far to get any sort of decent shopping.
Fairfield residents have to go far for decent shopping? No, not really. Fairfield and neighboring Westport offer many upscale stores. Not to mention Milford, that has every store imaginable, is just up the street.

I guess decent shopping is in the eyes of the beholder.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
Stamford Town Center will only get better as the years go on. The mall is geared to the wealthy residents of the Stamford area and while I agree with someone that the mall is dying, upscale malls will still excell. As for the Trumbull Mall, I can't even walk into that place anymore, it's turning into a disgrace. The crime that occurs there, fighting, shouting, numerous thefts, etc. is sickening. There is a reason for the police sub-station there, and that is no environment I want to be around when shopping. The only thing that boggles my mind is the fact that the Trumbull area deserves a more upscale shopping center. The residents of Trumbull, Easton, Shelton, Monroe, Newtown, Fairfield have to go far to get any sort of decent shopping. There are some nice stores in the Trumbull Mall, but for the most part it does not compare. Look at the West Farms Mall in Farmington/West Hartford, you have J.Crew, Williams and Sonoma, Nordstrom's, etc. etc, even a Louis Vuitton for crying out loud. In Trumbull any decent store seems to be moving out and replaced with some cheaply retailer that changes every other month. I think the Trumbull Mall is an area where you can have a great, great retail shopping center but for some reason that has not, or is not occuring. I guess it just takes the right investors.
The degradation of Trumbull Shopping Park (it will always be that to me, no matter what the owners say) is due to the owners, Westfield. They operate their malls to serve the lowest common denominator of clientel. They simply want to fill space with anything and everything and do nothing to make the shopping experience exciting or interesting. It is sad because it could be and has been much nicer and upscale. I think most people now avoid the place unless they have to.

In general malls are now experiencing what downtown areas experienced in the 1960's and 70's. The quality of stores is going down which pushes shoppers to other more inviting places like lifestyle centers or older downtown areas that are being revitalized. Malls really need to refind their shopper and make the experience better or they will suffer the same fate as downtowns did. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut