U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live?
Seattle, WA 16 55.17%
Greenwich, CT 13 44.83%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:24 PM

23,796 posts, read 39,102,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarHazard;9540772[B
We'll probably rent until the real estate market stabilizes then purchase a small 3-4 bedroom SFR. Most listings that we like on realtor.com are listed in the $800-900K range right now but by the time we buy in 3-5 years, it'll probably cost us $700-750K for the same house.[/b]
I would not count on that. 3 to 5 years from now, the economy should be back on track and hopefully prices will be going up. but you can always take your chance and wait. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 02:30 PM

15,301 posts, read 21,431,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarHazard View Post
I've heard that it's 45-60 minutes by train (not including any possible delays) plus 15 minutes to get to the station from the house plus 30 minutes to get from the station to where he'll be working (depending on which subways he'll be taking or if he takes a cab or walk). So total door-to-door should be around 1.5 to 1 hr 45 mins one way?
If you live in Southern Greenwich (which it sounds like you would with your price range), it should not take you 15 minutes to get to the train. Mid and backcountry Greenwich, I'm not sure if you'd find a house for $800k up there but I could be wrong. Most are sprawling estates. Are you looking into Cos Cob, Riverside, Old Greenwich, Byram? All are sections of Greenwich along I-95 with their own train stations. If your husbands job will be within a few blocks of Grand Central, it should be a pretty easy commute.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 24,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think it's silly to compare southern CT winters to Montreal, Canada winters, as a previous poster did.
I'm the previous poster and it's not that silly. The difference in temperature and snowfall is not that much. Yes, it's a bit colder in Montreal in the winter. Yes, Montreal gets a bit more snow. A BIT. Trust me -- I've lived in both. I know.

In comparison to WA, it's night and day. And when you're talking about someone who's from California, who's never seen snow and never experienced a winter with temps below freezing, well...

Old 06-30-2009, 02:48 PM

84 posts, read 263,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would not count on that. 3 to 5 years from now, the economy should be back on track and hopefully prices will be going up. but you can always take your chance and wait. Jay

I appreciate your thoughts on this as I've always admired your posts on city-data. In regards to the real estate market, since we're talking about the future, no one really knows how it'll turn out to be. I hope you're right and the market will get better because even though we'll end up paying more, at least the property will appreciate rather than depreciate.

For me, I'm basing my guesstimate on what the market did in the past. I think in the 90's downturn it took about 5 years to start showing signs of turn-around. With the current economy DH and I are guessing it'll be a total of 5-7 yrs of turn-around time. So if recession started around 2007, hoping our economy will start reviving 2012-2014?

But like I said, it's anyone's guess what the future holds. What we've learned from this recession is that no nice, fancy house will be worth over-extending ourselves for. We're one of the lucky ones because we sold our previous house prior to prices taking a nose-dive. We've been renting ever since. So for us, we are willing to wait for the right property at the right price.

PS. We're aiming for Old Greenwich, Cos Cob, and Riverside if we choose CT over WA.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm the previous poster and it's not that silly. The difference in temperature and snowfall is not that much. Yes, it's a bit colder in Montreal in the winter. Yes, Montreal gets a bit more snow. A BIT. Trust me -- I've lived in both. I know.

In comparison to WA, it's night and day. And when you're talking about someone who's from California, who's never seen snow and never experienced a winter with temps below freezing, well...
Average snowfall per year:

in Greenwich, 26.4 inches.
in Montreal, 84 inches (about three times that of Greenwich).
in Hartford, 48 inches (almost double that of Greenwich).

Sure, there will be snowstorms in Greenwich, but they will be small, and will probably be more sleet than anything. Coming from CA, it will be different, you bet. But of all the places that get snow in the country, Greenwich is far below average. The biggest challenge I've found for newcomers is the black ice in the days following the storms. The ice melts during the day and refreezes at night.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
PS. We're aiming for Old Greenwich, Cos Cob, and Riverside if we choose CT over WA.
Then you'll be a short drive to one of many train stations. Depending on where you live in each area, you might even be able to walk.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:02 PM

So far, this is what I'm getting by way of responses.. is there anything else I'm missing? And please don't take any offense by anything listed, I'm just trying to decipher some facts from myths and whatnot. This list consists of just guesses... all input as to its merit is GREATLY appreciated! And feel free to add to it, please! Thanks so much!

Greenwich, CT
Pros: More income, Next to NY so better Job market?, 4 Seasons with more Sunny days, Less cultural diversity? LOBSTER YUM!, Longer commute, Great education for the kids
Cons: More Expensive Real Estate, Colder Winters, Less Asian population = more racism (is this even an issue?)??, More Religious = more prejudice (is this even an issue as well?)??

Seattle Suburb, WA
Pros: Less Priced Real Estate, Milder Winter, More Asian population = less racism??, More non-religious = less prejudice??, More cultural diversity? SEAFOOD/SUSHI YUM!, Better commute, Good education for the kids
Cons: Less Income, Job Market not as healthy as NY?, Alot less Sunny Days

Which is the better choice for this crazy and weird (I mean unique) family of mine?

Old 06-30-2009, 03:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 24,738,332 times
Quote:
Average snowfall per year:

in Greenwich, 26.4 inches.
in Montreal, 84 inches (about three times that of Greenwich).
in Hartford, 48 inches (almost double that of Greenwich).

Sure, there will be snowstorms in Greenwich, but they will be small, and will probably be more sleet than anything. Coming from CA, it will be different, you bet. But of all the places that get snow in the country, Greenwich is far below average. The biggest challenge I've found for newcomers is the black ice in the days following the storms. The ice melts during the day and refreezes at night.
Seriously??? Wow!

First off, I had no idea that Greenwich got so much less snow than Hartford. That's nutty.

Secondly, I'm shocked that "they" say that Montreal gets 84 inches. I've never seen that in my 40 years there. (I must have stayed inside that day. )

I still believe, though, that WA winters will be more tolerable for someone coming from CA. But that's just my anti-winter persona piping in. That said, I hate the humidity of the summer too, so I'm only happy with the weather for three days in April.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
So far, this is what I'm getting by way of responses.. is there anything else I'm missing? And please don't take any offense by anything listed, I'm just trying to decipher some facts from myths and whatnot. This list consists of just guesses... all input as to its merit is GREATLY appreciated! And feel free to add to it, please! Thanks so much!

Greenwich, CT
Pros: More income, Next to NY so better Job market?, 4 Seasons with more Sunny days, Less cultural diversity? LOBSTER YUM!, Longer commute, Great education for the kids
Cons: More Expensive Real Estate, Colder Winters, Less Asian population = more racism (is this even an issue?)??, More Religious = more prejudice (is this even an issue as well?)??
Don't worry about lack of diversity in Greenwich - it is a VERY diverse area. Also, I would not consider the Stamford/Greenwich area all that religious, especially when compared to SoCal and most areas of the nation. It's more along the lines of the Pacific NW in that respect. You can take both of those off of your cons list.

Living in Greenwich, there are a ton of cities in each direction you can get a job in.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Then you'll be a short drive to one of many train stations. Depending on where you live in each area, you might even be able to walk.

Oh thank you! That's a relief. What is it like to catch the train every day? Do trains get delayed often? Is it fairly safe or more like taking the subway? Do you wait for the train inside a building or stand along the tracks in the snow/elements to wait? If DH had to drive to the train station, is there parking for his car? How much does taking the train cost?

Sorry for the number of questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut