Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 03:58 PM

22 posts, read 83,437 times

Advertisements

Hello

We're looking at a towns in CT to move to (husband will be commuting to NYC by train). We're a young culturally diverse family with 2 toddlers, looking for a recent single family house for rent ($5k), needing Chinese groceries and Target and Costco! At the moment, I'm only looking at preschools (not charging $20k a year like they do here in Mass.) so really asking about Stamford school-wise.

1. Greenwich: seems the closest in terms of commuting but the boss thinks it isn't diverse enough (although I found an interesting preschool there already)

2. Stamford: more diverse? - we know nothing about it but the houses on offer are good value for money- Wiki says it's extremely safe but some posts in this forum don't seem to recommend it.

3. Ridgefield: how will the commute be into Manhattan? Looks crazy on the MTA map. Only mentioning it as our friends just moved there and they highly recommend it.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 06:40 PM

243 posts, read 773,737 times
Ridgefield is nice, the commute to Manhattan is weird, you can commute into NY State and take the Harlem line ride into Manhattan or you can take the station there in Ridgefield but would have to transfer stations which can be a pain.

As for diverse towns, lets just say Greenwich is more diverse than Ridgefield, by far.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:07 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
At your price point, you'll be in the safest areas of Stamford. Those areas will have more of a town feel to them, rather than a big city. Target is downtown and the nearest Costco is not far away in Norwalk. Chinese groceries? I would guess that you'll be able to find the "basics" in Stamford but you're probably going to be happiest traveling in to the city for a better selection. Stamford is far and away the most diverse of the 3.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:05 PM

[quote=Stratford, Ct. Resident;9544967]At your price point, you'll be in the safest areas of Stamford.

May I check which areas do you consider "safe"? We are planning to view a few houses this week.
Thanks

Old 07-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlily1010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
At your price point, you'll be in the safest areas of Stamford.
May I check which areas do you consider "safe"? We are planning to view a few houses this week.
Thanks
Sure. You can list them here, or DM me the streets if you're not comfortable with listing them publicly.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Sure. You can list them here, or DM me the streets if you're not comfortable with listing them publicly.
No problem, they're public info:

EDEN RD , STAMFORD, CT 06907
WALNUT RIDGE LN , STAMFORD, CT 06904
LONG HILL DR , STAMFORD, CT 06902
Another one only has "Darien border"

I'm a bit curious as my oldest child will start kindergarten in 2010. Are the public schools any good or are we better off just moving straight to Greenwich (though what we can afford there doesn't look too nice)?

Thanks for your time and input!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:31 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Only you can decide if Stamford would be good for your family. It is a city, but it is a pretty nice one. The schools generally perform under the state average on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. Class sizes appear to be reasonable. You can access information on schools in Connecticut at the links below. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 07-01-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
No problem, they're public info:

EDEN RD , STAMFORD, CT 06907
Eden lies between Hope St. and Newfield Ave in the Springdale section. It's a winding, curvy road not suitable for walking, but the neighborhood is excellent with larger lot sizes. No safety issues at all.

Quote:
WALNUT RIDGE LN , STAMFORD, CT 06904
06905. This is a newer street(~6yrs.old) off of High Ridge Rd. in the Ridgeway section. The houses are very nice, the lots are a bit small and steep/rugged though. Getting out to High Ridge from this street will take awhile due to the volume of traffic and the speeds of the traffic. No safety issues at all(aside from the speeding traffic on the 4-laned High Ridge Rd.).

Quote:
LONG HILL DR , STAMFORD, CT 06902
This is an established street located between Long Ridge Rd. and Stillwater Rd. in the Westover/Roxbury section. Very safe as well, although it is slightly closer to the "urban" element than your other 2 choices. Note that Stillwater Rd. is fine whereas Stillwater Ave, which is located south of Stillwater Rd., is a cesspool. If you consider this home, take a closer look at the Connecticut Ave./Stillwater Ave. areas before you commit.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:04 PM

184 posts, read 842,330 times
"Darien border" could mean upper Springdale, which is very nice and safe, or the Cove, which is adjacent to borderline sketchy.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloSam View Post
"Darien border" could mean upper Springdale, which is very nice and safe, or the Cove, which is adjacent to borderline sketchy.
I found the address: HOLLY COVE CIR , STAMFORD, CT 06902 - sounds like the Cove?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut