U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2009, 08:31 AM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 8,277,554 times
Reputation: 2049

Advertisements

I only pass this along because it angers me that the fees are a bit outrageous for most middle class folks…

…but a second source (another Police Officers wife this time) has confirmed a story that I heard a few weeks ago - that is that there is a huge push by the State of Connecticut for local law enforcement (towns, cities, and State Police) to issue as many MV tickets as possible. You can draw your own conclusion as to why. However, safe to say... THEY WILL BE OUT IN FORCE THIS LONG HOLIDAY WEEKEND.

Here is a list of “current prices”(from the best I can tell) if you happen to be careless or make a mistake…

Speeding State Highways - $259.00
Most moving Violations - $125 – 200.00
Speeding towns/cities - $174.00
Speeding towns/cities (more than 15-mph over limit) - $245.00
Talking on Cell Phone - $100.00
Seat Belt ($77.00)

So if you want to keep your money in your pocket…I would pay attention to traffic, speed, and other issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2009, 08:39 AM
 
Location: The brown house on the cul de sac
2,081 posts, read 4,120,151 times
Reputation: 9305
I don't think these fees are high enough. I doubt they are going to stop many people from speeding and being stupid and talking on the cell phone while driving or not wearing a seat belt. And how many DUI's do you think there will be this holiday weekend?

These laws and fees are there for the protection of the public...obey the laws and speed limit or pay the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 08:45 AM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
3,020 posts, read 8,265,617 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I only pass this along because it angers me that the fees are a bit outrageous for most middle class folks…

…but a second source (another Police Officers wife this time) has confirmed a story that I heard a few weeks ago - that is that there is a huge push by the State of Connecticut for local law enforcement (towns, cities, and State Police) to issue as many MV tickets as possible. You can draw your own conclusion as to why. However, safe to say... THEY WILL BE OUT IN FORCE THIS LONG HOLIDAY WEEKEND.

Here is a list of “current prices”(from the best I can tell) if you happen to be careless or make a mistake…

Speeding State Highways - $259.00
Most moving Violations - $125 – 200.00
Speeding towns/cities - $174.00
Speeding towns/cities (more than 15-mph over limit) - $245.00
Talking on Cell Phone - $100.00
Seat Belt ($77.00)

So if you want to keep your money in your pocket…I would pay attention to traffic, speed, and other issues.
Yeah, I agree. Those fees are very high.

Sadly, the revenue generation is what it's all about. I'm sure the police force will generate enough tickets this weekend to pad the city/state pockets pretty well....

People should definitely be on the alert!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 08:50 AM
 
8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Reputation: 5219
This is the one that i want to see enforced: 14-101 93.00 Signal device, violations concerning


I'd like to see this one enforced as well: 14-260 93.00 Filling gas tank while motor is running

I don't know why it's even on the books though. I would think that the police would get chased off the gas station properties if they tried to sit there(on private property) and cite people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Storrs, CT
722 posts, read 1,700,446 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
This is the one that i want to see enforced: 14-101 93.00 Signal device, violations concerning

..probably the most annoying. people forget they're not using something that they paid for when they bought the car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 09:07 AM
 
Location: The brown house on the cul de sac
2,081 posts, read 4,120,151 times
Reputation: 9305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
This is the one that i want to see enforced: 14-101 93.00 Signal device, violations concerning
I'm assuming you mean the "turn signals are optional here" sentiment? Can you imagine the amount of money they could collect for that violation.

How about "piggybacking" thru stop signs? Never heard of that until I moved here but see it all the time!

I usually turn my car off when filling with gas....unless I'm really late...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,739 posts, read 21,986,671 times
Reputation: 5272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
This is the one that i want to see enforced: 14-101 93.00 Signal device, violations concerning
I agree!

I'd also like to see some kind of enforcement on horn use - today I was letting someone parallel park and the lady behind me threw her hands in the air and slammed on her horn. And when that light turns green, better step on it!

I really think CT should have an aggressive driving hotline and post it on all state routes/highways.

IMO, these fines aren't high enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 01:47 PM
 
Location: The brown house on the cul de sac
2,081 posts, read 4,120,151 times
Reputation: 9305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree!

And when that light turns green, better step on it!
Or I am going to ride your bumper until you do....because for petes sake I am in a hurry!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,394 posts, read 3,335,112 times
Reputation: 1397
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
These laws and fees are there for the protection of the public...obey the laws and speed limit or pay the price.
Well, actually, they are there for revenue.

Protection of the public is a possible by-product of the revenue stream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,739 posts, read 21,986,671 times
Reputation: 5272
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Protection of the public is a possible by-product of the revenue stream.
It does factor into the state's revenue, yes, but I hardly think laws are on the books solely to make money, without the citizen's well-being taken into consideration. I think traffic fines are one part of their revenue they'd like to see decrease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top