Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,046 times

Advertisements

Looking for the best/safest neighborhoods in the Bridgeport area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 12:40 PM

93 posts, read 366,301 times
Probably the boarder is your best bet, but it will cost more. I know the Fairfield area best and that boarder is fine. I think the boarder up by trumbull would be good too. Not sure about once you start getting into it.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:30 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judifo View Post
Looking for the best/safest neighborhoods in the Bridgeport area.
Areas of Bridgeport that border both Fairfield and Trumbull are the better parts, think Brooklawn, North End. Blackrock could be OK too if you are looking for something more lively but you'd have to look at each street carefully before deciding.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:17 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Areas of Bridgeport that border both Fairfield and Trumbull are the better parts, think Brooklawn, North End. Blackrock could be OK too if you are looking for something more lively but you'd have to look at each street carefully before deciding.
Ambarstone is right. These are the best parts of Bridgeport. Treeland is also not bad and the area near Beardsley Park Zoo. Some areas downtown seem to be ok, depending on the person and their comfort level and safety level. But, I'd go with the North End, Blackrock south of Ellsworth, and Brooklawn/Treeland. Don't go eastside anywhere. It's very crime-ridden and just generally has seen much, much better times.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:19 PM

93 posts, read 366,301 times
OP - How many people / how big of a place do you need? And what's your price range and age? If you're younger, I would recommend more the fairfield line / blackrock area. It's more fun and overall a younger crowd than you'll get more toward trumbull, which is more families. If you're commuting, that will play a roll as well. My GF recently moved to the black rock area and likes it. She got a nice, pretty much brand new condo to rent. Much bigger than I expected for much less than I expected.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Ambarstone is right. These are the best parts of Bridgeport. Treeland is also not bad and the area near Beardsley Park Zoo. Some areas downtown seem to be ok, depending on the person and their comfort level and safety level. But, I'd go with the North End, Blackrock south of Ellsworth, and Brooklawn/Treeland. Don't go eastside anywhere. It's very crime-ridden and just generally has seen much, much better times.
These are great suggestions. Thanks so much. I grew up in West Hartford, have been living north of Boston for years and have always wanted to return to CT. I remember when Bridgeport was, as Paul Newman once said, "the armpit of CT" :-), but have heard there has been a lot of progress in some areas. It's encouraging that your GF found a nice condo. That's what I will be looking for.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:30 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judifo View Post
These are great suggestions. Thanks so much. I grew up in West Hartford, have been living north of Boston for years and have always wanted to return to CT. I remember when Bridgeport was, as Paul Newman once said, "the armpit of CT" :-), but have heard there has been a lot of progress in some areas. It's encouraging that your GF found a nice condo. That's what I will be looking for.
FYI, the Treeland area is Single Family homes, so i guess you can skip that section of the city. I'd probably recommend the upper Madison Ave. area if you're going with a condo.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:03 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I generally recommend looking at the North End, north of North Avenue and west of Main Street or Black Rock, west of Elsworth street. Be careful of the areas near Trumbull east of Main Street. There is a public housing project there that has issues. Also nice is the Beardsley Park and Treeland areas which are in the northeast corner of the city. Downtown also has become a good place to live too and seems to be getting better. Jay

Old 07-10-2009, 08:13 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I generally recommend looking at the North End, north of North Avenue and west of Main Street or Black Rock, west of Elsworth street. Be careful of the areas near Trumbull east of Main Street. There is a public housing project there that has issues. Also nice is the Beardsley Park and Treeland areas which are in the northeast corner of the city. Downtown also has become a good place to live too and seems to be getting better. Jay
Jay, where is this public housing project you mention that is close to Trumbull?

Completely disagree that downtown is a good place to live. Yuk.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:49 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
The project is located on Reservoir Avenue. As for downtown, well it is up and coming. There are some really beautiful buildings there and you can't beat it for commuting to Stamford. It has the potential for being a real gem in the making. JMHO, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut