Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:55 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Which statistics specifically?
I would love to know the Jewish populations of the towns the pp's are mentioning...how would I find out those numbers. For example, Woodbridge was mentioned as having a large Jewish population. What are the percentages? I would love to find this out for other towns too but where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:57 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I would love to know the Jewish populations of the towns the pp's are mentioning...how would I find out those numbers. For example, Woodbridge was mentioned as having a large Jewish population. What are the percentages? I would love to find this out for other towns too but where?
You could always start with this one: http://www.city-data.com/city/Connecticut.html

Old 07-08-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You could always start with this one: http://www.city-data.com/city/Connecticut.html
I see ethnicities but I don't see religions? Where? Help!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
I see ethnicities but I don't see religions? Where? Help!
http://www.city-data.com/county/New_...County-CT.html

Old 07-08-2009, 09:24 PM

Thanks Stratford Res. I now see it but it doesn't break down the "other" religions. It shows the main churches by county. Not quite what I was looking for, but thanks!

Old 07-09-2009, 05:02 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
As are the schools in Simsbury and Avon. I know because I used to have family in Simsbury and a co-worker of mine from Avon once told me they close schools on Yom Kippur. These towns have a sizeable Jewish population (albeit smaller than WH). The only downside to these two towns is there's no highway access to either of these and are further north from New York. Not that WH and Farmington are right outside the city, but at least one can get on I-84 in either of these and then get on 91 southbound.

Ian - If you plan to commute every day to the city, I would not suggest either of these, because the daily commute would be horrible. I thought maybe you just wanted to be close to family in the city. If you're not commuting into Manhattan these are worth a look. If you are, then Fairfield would probably work best. You could take the MetroNorth right there into Grand Central, and it might be the best choice in terms of affordability and good schools - because at least real estate here is a bit less expensive. Almost every other town in that county has an average home price of over $1 million and the property taxes are insane. Fairfield isn't quite as bad. I don't know off hand if there's any synogauges in town but you would not be the only Jewish family in town.

Re: 7 Wishes - I know Glastonbury has a fairly new synogauge. Someone I know mentioned this in passing. So there's at least one. Where it is, though, I really don't know. You said you've been in WH for business, is that right? Next time you're on Farmington Ave going toward Hartford you should see the Beth Israel Temple. It's a domed building that's been around for almost 80 years, it's now a landmark and it's really nice.
Some people I know who live in Simsbury/Avon have told me what a pain in the *** it is commuting down US 44, so I hear you. I've also seen on the news all about that big accident on the US 44 hill and the negligence case, etc. As for that domed building, I have driven by it in my travails, just didn't remember the name, etc. thanks for noting, it is a really nice building.

Just want to note I wouldn't recommend anything past a line from Danbury to maybe Fairfield for a commute to NY. If you are working in CT it's a different story. Hartford is as far from NYC as Philadelphia is from NYC so I'd hardly call it and the towns near it "commutable" to NY (even to Westchester or Stamford, let alone NYC).

That said, I do think Fairfield is as close as you can get to NYC and have affordable housing that is not in the "ghetto", though there are nice parts of Danbury that aren't too bad in cost (relative to nearby areas) either.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
That said, I do think Fairfield is as close as you can get to NYC and have affordable housing that is not in the "ghetto", though there are nice parts of Danbury that aren't too bad in cost (relative to nearby areas) either.
Can you please tell me exactly where these "ghettos" are in CT? Please be specific, too. Thanks!

Old 07-09-2009, 05:16 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Can you please tell me exactly where these "ghettos" are in CT? Please be specific, too. Thanks!
Most parts of Bridgeport (but not all, Black Rock and other places on the outer borders are kind of nice), southern Norwalk (though not the immediate SoNo neighborhood with all the fancy shops), Stamford just south of I-95, most parts of New Haven (again, not all, East Rock in particular is quite nice), East Hartford (again, like Bridgeport, not so on the outer borders), most of Hartford city itself (especially the areas north of downtown within the city borders).

I've heard some classify the extreme easternmost part of West Hartford right on the immediate Hartford city line this way as well, but I wouldn't quite do that. Most of West Hartford is relatively upscale.

Though it sounds it, didn't mean it as a racial remark, a lot of minorities from these areas move out too once they have the means. Also I realize some of the areas I mentioned are past Fairfield, but these are the ones I know of.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:08 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Most parts of Bridgeport (but not all, Black Rock and other places on the outer borders are kind of nice), southern Norwalk (though not the immediate SoNo neighborhood with all the fancy shops), Stamford just south of I-95, most parts of New Haven (again, not all, East Rock in particular is quite nice), East Hartford (again, like Bridgeport, not so on the outer borders), most of Hartford city itself (especially the areas north of downtown within the city borders).

I've heard some classify the extreme easternmost part of West Hartford right on the immediate Hartford city line this way as well, but I wouldn't quite do that. Most of West Hartford is relatively upscale.

Though it sounds it, didn't mean it as a racial remark, a lot of minorities from these areas move out too once they have the means. Also I realize some of the areas I mentioned are past Fairfield, but these are the ones I know of.
Spot on.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:31 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Quote:
Depends on where you are. Anything North of Farmington Ave is perfectly fine. East end over by Elizabeth Park is no ghetto - it's the cost of living there that's lethal. That area is $$$$ - lots of old Tudors, Georgian mansions and large colonials. East end that lies South of Farmington Ave has a more working class feel - more duplexes, apartments and smaller houses - but it's nowhere nearly as bad as it's reputed to be. Take it from someone who lived there. I used to live on Kane St, which everybody criticizes, nothing happened to me, and I'm whiter than church paint. It's the management company that gives it a bad name. Oakwood Ave is kinda dingy, but I wouldn't be surprised if that changes in a few years. Other working class neighborhoods in town have been revitalized so the chess pieces are in place.
Even the New York Times took note of this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/re...te/04wczo.html

What's dicey is the far SE edge, past New Park Ave and the rail line - it's only a handful of streets and it's not crime ridden by any means, but it's not that great. I knew someone who had an apartment on Hillcrest, in a complex with units set aside for income-restrictive housing, which would make some people uncomfortable. Yet even here most people take care of their homes, mow their lawns and just go about their business. I'd be more worried about theft than anything else, and other petty crimes.

And you know what? As nice as it may be, Farmington has the Unionville section to contend with. It's also a mixed-income neighborhood that has made the news a few times due to criminal activity. Nothing severe, but on rare occassions when there's an assault or robbery or burglary in that town, chances are that's where it is.

Anyway, it seems most of us will agree that neither WH nor Farmington is realistic for anyone who makes daily commutes to NYC. Even commuting from Fairfield can be a schlep - getting to the station, riding the train, exiting, then taking either the subway/taxi to work. It's time consuming. Still, it's manageable.

PS - Avon Mountain/ Route 44 is a hell. For 2 years I commuted from WH to Avon, and even though I was going opposite the traffic (which was going towards Hartford) it was still unnerving. I remember that infamous crash well. I was off that whole week, as luck would have it, but I still remember it. I took 44 back and forth and to this day I CANNOT BELIEVE I never had an accident, or got held up in gridlock because of one.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 07-09-2009 at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut