Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:21 PM

113 posts, read 516,114 times

Advertisements

I moved from Ct. a little over 2 years ago and just spent the past week visiting with family.

Wow have prices come down in Ct! Some areas more than others of course.

I went around looking at real estate and was amazed.

A house identical to the one we sold in Milford for $270,000 just sold for $140,000 two blocks away.

It was not in as good as shape but just that a house could be had for that price in Milford was stunning.

A friend just bought a second home right across from Walnut beach for $175,000.

When I looked through the ads at houses for sale in Bridegeport and New Haven it was like I was looking at Ohio or Michigan.

Many houses listed at $30,000-$40,000-$50,000

It was reverse sticker shock. And all the houses listed sold for a dollar. So many foreclosures in the cities.

This is obviously a horrible economy. Without a doubt the worst since the great depression.

I am looking at the real estate for my wife (getting divorced) for she is returning to Connecticut.

I thought she was crazy as she is going to have to look for a house for around $150,000 but I have to take it back.

We searched the towns of Milford,Orange,Derby,Ansonia,North Haven,Wallingford and Hamden and their are over 190 houses for sale under $160,000 !

This is great news for those that are looking to buy as Ct. has not been this realitively affordable in a long time.

Luckily for her she is able to transfer in her job and actually make more money in Ct.

Rents are another story. They still have a long way to go to correct to the housing prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:47 PM

490 posts, read 1,783,911 times
In Fairfield, CT condos that sold for 295-315K in the East side of town two years ago are now being sold for 235K. 400K brick capes are going for around 300K.

Shame I didn't wait to buy!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:51 PM

502 posts, read 1,387,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehawk View Post
Rents are another story. They still have a long way to go to correct to the housing prices.
Agreed! Precisely why we are "camping out" in North Carolina until ready to build/buy again in CT! Rents are absolutely stupid. $10,000/mo. in Litchfield county for what I can rent here (well, minus the 2 acres), in NC for less than $2,500. Who are these people in Litchfield County hoping to rent to? Wall St. executives? Well, I guess not because these properties remain on the MLS for years.... forgive the rant.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:20 PM

21,582 posts, read 31,021,041 times
Quote:
I moved from Ct. a little over 2 years ago and just spent the past week visiting with family.

Wow have prices come down in Ct! Some areas more than others of course.

I went around looking at real estate and was amazed.

A house identical to the one we sold in Milford for $270,000 just sold for $140,000 two blocks away.

It was not in as good as shape but just that a house could be had for that price in Milford was stunning.

When I looked through the ads at houses for sale in Bridegeport and New Haven it was like I was looking at Ohio or Michigan.

Many houses listed at $30,000-$40,000-$50,000

It was reverse sticker shock. And all the houses listed sold for a dollar. So many foreclosures in the cities.

This is obviously a horrible economy. Without a doubt the worst since the great depression.

I am looking at the real estate for my wife (getting divorced) for she is returning to Connecticut.

I thought she was crazy as she is going to have to look for a house for around $150,000 but I have to take it back.

We searched the towns of Milford,Orange,Derby,Ansonia,North Haven,Wallingford and Hamden and their are over 190 houses for sale under $160,000 !

This is great news for those that are looking to buy as Ct. has not been this realitively affordable in a long time.

Luckily for her she is able to transfer in her job and actually make more money in Ct.

I'm still looking for a house around $240k in a safe neighborhood that doesn't need too much work. So far, not much to choose from. I guess if you don't mind being in one of the worst parts of CT's most depressed neighborhoods, then 50k sounds great. Otherwise, no thanks.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:06 PM

21,582 posts, read 31,021,041 times
Unfortunately we're looking in western CT, between Shelton and Waterbury. Prices are down, but the decent homes in the 240-250 range are being snagged quickly, and most need lots of work. Many sellers won't accept a dime below asking price.

I'm interested to hear where these cheap homes in the 50k (??) to 150k range are, and in what kind of condition. I can't imagine any are in safe neighborhoods, and have interiors/exteriors that wouldn't require the buyer to shell out some cash for repairs.

Last edited by JayCT; 07-10-2009 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: removed deleted quote

Old 07-09-2009, 07:02 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,737,417 times
Quote:

This is odd. I haven't been able to find anything for my clients in the $180,000 - $225,000 price range in Milford or Stratford. They're not being particular either.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:07 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,833,446 times
Actually, the dropping prices hurt much more than they help. For first time buyers, yes, it's a good thing. But for everyone else, and the economy it's a very bad thing. And the first time buyers are going to have a harder time obtaining a loan. Credit requirements are much tighter. It's a vicious lose-lose circle.

Foreclosures are at an all time high. People have negative equity in their homes. People can't sell their homes to move on, up, or down.....

No, I have to disagree declining values are not good.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 PM

31 posts, read 46,725 times
Yeah, you're probably right. Even the short sales are looking like they are requiring work and quite a bit these days.
Well, thank you for responding. I wish you luck on the other side of the state. If you end up over here, by some chance let me know. Thanks again.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm still looking for a house around $240k in a safe neighborhood that doesn't need too much work. So far, not much to choose from. I guess if you don't mind being in one of the worst parts of CT's most depressed neighborhoods, then 50k sounds great. Otherwise, no thanks.

Have you looked into Milford? I lived in Milford for 15 years and there is no part of Milford I would call unsafe. Derby,North Haven, Shelton and Wallingford are all options that are very safe towns.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
This is odd. I haven't been able to find anything for my clients in the $180,000 - $225,000 price range in Milford or Stratford. They're not being particular either.
My friend bought the yellow house on Monroe St next to the Firestation gallery for $175,000. Walnut beach at the end of Naugatuck ave.

The house that sold for $140,000 was a short sale on Underhill right off meadowside.

There is a house on Cooper ave right now you might take them to look at. I think it's in the $170,000 range.

There are a couple on and around Botsford Ave as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut