U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:00 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,242,776 times

Advertisements

Upper middle class suburbia USA. You can't escape it. The demographics speak for themselves. Children of upper middle class families are expected to excell in education, become socially proficient and experience the finer aspects of society because their parents have the money to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 08:24 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,749,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Upper middle class suburbia USA. You can't escape it. The demographics speak for themselves. Children of upper middle class families are expected to excell in education, become socially proficient and experience the finer aspects of society because their parents have the money to do so.
Why wouldn't all families want their children to excel in education, socially and financially?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 PM

15,685 posts, read 21,826,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Why wouldn't all families want their children to excel in education, socially and financially?
I don't think urbanquest said anything about "want", rather, they said these kids are "expected to", which I fully agree with.

I do agree, though, that people of all socio-economic backgrounds want their children to succeed.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:34 PM

2,081 posts, read 4,097,768 times
[quote=UrbanQuest;9802779 Children of upper middle class families are expected to excell in education, become socially proficient and experience the finer aspects of society because their parents have the money to do so.[/quote]

Well if it really is all about the money to do so than the rest wouldn't really matter now would it?

No, I think most parents, (and of all socio economic groups) expect their children to excel in the above stated to make them better rounded people, contribute to society and mankind and to succeed in their future endeavors!

Old 07-18-2009, 11:03 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,242,776 times
We are talking about upper-middle class suburbia right?
Let's not get off topic....

Old 07-18-2009, 01:45 PM

834 posts, read 1,931,998 times
I disagree that all parents expect their kids to suceed. Most parents WANT their kids to succeed and get an education, sure. But there is a difference between wanting and expecting. Parents in the towns you are referring to will expect their kids to get a good education. If their kid isn't doing well in school, they will find a solution, be it a tutor, or monitoring the kid like a hawk to make sure they get better grades.
There are many areas across the US, however, where parents don't seem to care one way or the other how their kids do in school. If the kids gets good grades, great. If they don't, they don't. Unfortunately, this happens more in lower income areas than higher income areas. Just talk to teachers in these schools and ask them how hard it is to get a child to care when their own parent doesn't.
So anyway, I don't think it should be considered a negative thing if you are in a town where kids want to do well in school and want to go to college. It's certainly better than the alternative. It's been proven over and over, that busy kids are successful kids. Kids involved in after school sports and activities have a higher rate of graduation, going on to college, and are far less likely to get pregnant in high school or do drugs. Keep em busy, I say.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:20 AM

12 posts, read 66,218 times
What is the real deal with the commute from Ridgefield to NYC? My DH works very close to Grand Central- but looking into it deeper- the hour and 15 minues our realtor told us seems a little off- seems like an hour and 45 minutes is more realistic. I know there is a shuttle from Ridgefield to Katonah- which adds about 25 minutes- anyone have first hand experience with this? I've seen other postings other boards that vary.Thanks for all your comments!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,615 times
Default I agree & think kids benefit from less academics

Quote:
Originally Posted by magggmom View Post
I want my kids to do well, and do highly value education (I used to be a teacher) and I also understand that I set the tone in our home. But being the "different" family who doesn't live in their car taking kids from one activity to another, and being constantly pressured to do more after school can be difficult. Thesegoto11, I think you and I are on the same page- it is possible to do well, and not have to push kids to the edge in order to become accomplished. I want them to be kids- they only get that chance once. I'm just looking for people that think the same way- not the whole town, but just a few people. It seems that in the tri state area, that is like finding a needle in a haystack. Thank you all for your postings and insight.
I am similarly seeking a more rounded experience for my children. I think they will be better off for it in the long run. I am considering Ridgefield, and would love to find out more. Finding a community that values less structured time for kids is key. Where we live now, I often find that my children are the only ones without afterschool activities -- so there is no one for them to play with after school!

Old 12-21-2009, 06:42 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,920,736 times
just moved from Ridgefield two months ago after growing up there myself and raising my 7 yr old twins there most recently. In my opinion it's definitely less pretentious and over-scheduled than Darien, Westport, Greenwich, New Canaan and Wilton...You can do as little or as much as you want and the economic diversity is a little more prevelent. My kids had friends in mansions as well as little 1500 sq ft ranches, all who played very well together.

Interesting that someone brought into the discussion NOVA and Loudoun County in particular. I moved from Ridgefield to Loudoun County and the difference here is significant. Granted I am in western Loudoun (which is more rural and less expensive), but the competitiveness and overscheduling is basically non-existant. And the people are much more friendly, so I'm curious about the "pretentiousness of Loudoun County" that was remarked earlier in the thread.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:02 PM

15,685 posts, read 21,826,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Interesting that someone brought into the discussion NOVA and Loudoun County in particular. I moved from Ridgefield to Loudoun County and the difference here is significant. Granted I am in western Loudoun (which is more rural and less expensive), but the competitiveness and overscheduling is basically non-existant. And the people are much more friendly, so I'm curious about the "pretentiousness of Loudoun County" that was remarked earlier in the thread.
When I mentioned Loudon, I was not referring to education/pressure cookers. IMO, Fairfield County is the epicenter of this. What I was referring to is the idea of superiority which I experienced when visiting. Granted I only visited for a few weeks combined, but it seems as if the people there consider themselves super-affluent if they can afford a 600k home in a cookie-cutter neighborhood; and if they drive a Chevy Suburban, no other car is better than theirs. The "one-up" attitude people seemed to have in Loudon and Fairfax was the turn-off. I did not find people there to be down to Earth at all. Just my opinion - don't mean to offend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut