U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:33 PM

24,329 posts, read 39,765,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Good post.

I would agree with everything except for DT being run down. DT is technically N/S Elm and Center Street and it's very well kept with Rosemary Choate bordering it. Going West on Center towards the gazeebo it starts to show some age...but IMHO it's not ghetto type run down, just old.
JViello - I agree with you. Wallingford's downtown is old but I would not characterize it as rundown. It is a pretty nice mixed community and one of the few (if not the only onne) that has its own electric department. Saves a lot of money over Northeast Utilities electric prices. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,488 times
I am considering buying one of the new condo units being built on Quinnipiac Ave (across from the small park). Any comments on that area in terms of safety, types of neighbors, etc?

Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 PM

420 posts, read 997,791 times
To me, Downtown Wallingford is in fact 'old' AND 'rundown'. Can the two not go hand-in-hand? Because I know that there is the old fire station in Colchester Center that dates back to the 1800's and can certainly be considered 'old', but since it hasn't been used since the early 1990's it is hideously 'rundown'. So is the fire station in fact 'old' AND 'rundown'? Just saying!

IMO, Downtown Wallingford needs much needed revitalization efforts. I mean honestly, it's just dumpy.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:00 PM

2,102 posts, read 6,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
To me, Downtown Wallingford is in fact 'old' AND 'rundown'. Can the two not go hand-in-hand? Because I know that there is the old fire station in Colchester Center that dates back to the 1800's and can certainly be considered 'old', but since it hasn't been used since the early 1990's it is hideously 'rundown'. So is the fire station in fact 'old' AND 'rundown'? Just saying!

IMO, Downtown Wallingford needs much needed revitalization efforts. I mean honestly, it's just dumpy.
There is a big difference from one side of Route 5 to the other!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 AM

24,329 posts, read 39,765,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post

Well I guess this is in the eye of the beholder. Sorry but I believe that just because it is old does not mean it is dumpy. In fact, I would say if it is old it CAN be charming. I am not sure why you are bringing Colchester into this discussion but as Rich Lee pointed out, one side of downtown is nicer than the other. Maybe you are just looking at the not-so-nice side. Have you ever been up the hill to Main Street? It is a nice quaint area with some beautiful old buildings that are very well kept. Jay

Old 07-15-2009, 07:37 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,180,449 times
I was on S. Cherry st. in Wallingford recently to answer a Craigslist ad, and it wasn't that bad, certainly not ghetto. Just old. A train went by while we there, which thrilled my 5 year old.

Editing to say I didn't have to drive too far down S. Cherry st. though, so maybe there was something at the other end that I missed.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 07-15-2009 at 07:55 AM..

Old 07-15-2009, 08:20 AM

113 posts, read 454,464 times
Downtown Wallingford is dumpy and rundown. You can't deny that. However that said, there are many nice places to live in Wallingford and the location enables you to get to New Haven,Hartford,or Waterbury all in a manageable timeframe. Crime statistics are not bad at all either. Plus their electric rates are some of the lowest in Ct.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,483 times
Make sure that you check out the parking before you buy - how many parking spaces come with the bldg, is street parking enough, etc

Old 10-03-2009, 02:39 PM

552 posts, read 867,023 times
The area a few miles northeast of the center is absolutely beautiful - quiet, wooded, very well kept. Head east into the farmland on Whirlwind hill rd, and you get some great scenery of the vineyard, farms with silos and farmhouses on the hill. East wallingford area is probably one of the best places to live in New England. Very close to the highway, but also very quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or