Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:29 AM

943 posts, read 4,245,662 times

Advertisements

Out of the 3 stations (South Norwalk, East Norwalk, Rowayton) on the New Haven Line in Norwalk, which station has the most walkable (1/2 mile or less) condo/townhouses? Also which station would likely have the cheapest walkable housing of the three?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 02:25 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,384,772 times
There a bunch of condos over by Merrit 7 train station (Danbury Line). I was down there a few weeks ago, and there were a lot in the low $300s.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:46 PM

2,486 posts, read 4,681,574 times
I think E. Norwalk is mostly detached houses as opposed to condos or apartments, and from what I saw online it looks like it's more expensive. It does have many walkable neighborhoods, though.

South Norwalk (or SoNo) has many condos and rental units, many of which are located above restaurants or stores and they're pretty close to the Metro North station. It's probably cheaper than East Norwalk, but the typical amount of space in a unit there is pretty small and it does have a few streets to watch out for. Just a few blocks from downtown and the train station are some streets that have yet to be revitalized and these can be rough - lower income areas, a few housing projects, etc.

Rowayton I'm not really sure about. I don't really know that area.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I think E. Norwalk is mostly detached houses as opposed to condos or apartments, and from what I saw online it looks like it's more expensive. It does have many walkable neighborhoods, though.

South Norwalk (or SoNo) has many condos and rental units, many of which are located above restaurants or stores and they're pretty close to the Metro North station. It's probably cheaper than East Norwalk, but the typical amount of space in a unit there is pretty small and it does have a few streets to watch out for. Just a few blocks from downtown and the train station are some streets that have yet to be revitalized and these can be rough - lower income areas, a few housing projects, etc.

Rowayton I'm not really sure about. I don't really know that area.
Thanks a lot to both of you. It sounds like when Sono would be the number 1 choice in that area. Mike when you say small, please give me an example of that. I come from NYC and I can tell you first hand there is nothing smaller than an NYC apartment. Anyway for example an average 2 bedroom condo would be approximately how many square feet?

Old 07-13-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Thanks a lot to both of you. It sounds like when Sono would be the number 1 choice in that area. Mike when you say small, please give me an example of that. I come from NYC and I can tell you first hand there is nothing smaller than an NYC apartment. Anyway for example an average 2 bedroom condo would be approximately how many square feet?
Really? NY apartments are small? Who knew! Couple of weeks ago I stayed at my cousin's apt in Kew Gardens. He's got a tiny studio that's under 200 square feet - and this is in Queens.

I don't live there, but based on what I've seen online in the past that was for sale, a typical studio condo can be as small as 500 sq ft, a 2-bed maybe could be around 750 square feet, and that's at the lower end of the price range. Obviously the more the square footage the higher the price tag. Really, alot of this will depend on what your budget is.

And if you're coming from New York City, you probably won't find the rougher parts of SoNo very intimidating. For one thing, they're smaller here. If you plan on taking Metro North into NYC, on your way in while riding through Harlem and the Bronx you'll see massive amounts of old, high-rise buildings that seem to go on forever - many of these are housing projects.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:23 PM

I guess it does depend on price range because I was looking in the 3 to 4 hundred range and most were at least 900 sq feet. By the way I live in Harlem, near many of those massive housing projects.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 PM

Sorry if that sounded like a swipe against where you live. My point was if you've been exposed to the rougher nabes of NYC you shoudn't have a hard time in SoNo.

Aside from getting off the train at 125th street to get to the Stadium, I've only been to Harlem once and that was East Harlem. Last year my friends & I went to the city for a stag party and started off there since my friend's cousin lives in EH. We met up there and ended up in Hoboken. When we got up on the roof you could see everything. Looking south midtown was in the background. To the east you could see the bridges that connect to the Bronx. North you could see the main avenues (I think it was 2nd Ave), and that's where the public housing is. Its amazing how it changes from one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country (Upper East Side) to one of the most destitute. I was just surprised the NYCHA hasn't been more proactive in rehabbing some of those buildings.

Based on your budget, I think you'd be able to find something in SoNo - especially in this housing market.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:51 AM

34,630 posts, read 56,360,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
I guess it does depend on price range because I was looking in the 3 to 4 hundred range and most were at least 900 sq feet. By the way I live in Harlem, near many of those massive housing projects.
$300-400??? Is this correct? I am not sure what if anything you will find for that amount here. Jay

Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
$300-400??? Is this correct? I am not sure what if anything you will find for that amount here. Jay
I meant thousand. I usually don't write it out because I think most people will assume that when we are discussing housing, but I probably should not assume that. Anyway sorry.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Sorry if that sounded like a swipe against where you live. My point was if you've been exposed to the rougher nabes of NYC you shoudn't have a hard time in SoNo.

Aside from getting off the train at 125th street to get to the Stadium, I've only been to Harlem once and that was East Harlem. Last year my friends & I went to the city for a stag party and started off there since my friend's cousin lives in EH. We met up there and ended up in Hoboken. When we got up on the roof you could see everything. Looking south midtown was in the background. To the east you could see the bridges that connect to the Bronx. North you could see the main avenues (I think it was 2nd Ave), and that's where the public housing is. Its amazing how it changes from one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country (Upper East Side) to one of the most destitute. I was just surprised the NYCHA hasn't been more proactive in rehabbing some of those buildings.

Based on your budget, I think you'd be able to find something in SoNo - especially in this housing market.

I didn't take it personally. Despite all of the projects in Harlem, it is very expensive (on par with Norwalk prices) and even the south Bronx which is loaded with projects is making a comeback, albeit very slow. I know it sounds crazy, but its true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut