U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:33 AM

24,587 posts, read 40,150,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I think it's wonderful that six of our towns made the top 100 list, it doesn't surprise me. But I was just reading the article, and I read Trumbull's description. I don't think it's entirely accurate. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I'm wondering how thoroughly they actually researched these towns? Where is this nearby commercial strip of big-name chains the article refers to? And it's one theatre is not on Main Street. You have to hop on Rt. 25 and head to the Bridgeport border to get to the theatre, it's not conveniently located in Trumbull at all.

"A nearby commercial strip offers big-name chains, while the downtown's Main Street provides smaller independent businesses and theatres."
I agree. The description is not Trumbull. There is the mall on Main Street but it is surrounded by houses, not commercial businesses. You would have to travel about a mile south to the north end of Bridgeport for a commercial Strip of stores. Could that be what they are referring to? Also Main Street does not really pass through a downtown area in Trumbull. There is Town Hall Plaza but that is just a lone shopping center near Town Hall. There are also some shops along Main here and there but nothing with much density. There is also the stores on White Plains Road and Daniels Farm Road that is sort of a downtown area but that is no where near Main Street. And there really are no theaters in town, just on the border with Bridgeport like you noted. Very strange, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 AM

1,785 posts, read 3,443,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
WOW...this is amazing and wonderful. I am not surprised about Simsbury, Cheshire or East Lyme.
I'm surprised Simsbury didn't rank higher. I don't think people realize how nice that town is until they actually go there and see for themselves.

They say these rankings look at a number of things, including affordability. I wonder if that was always the case since Greenwich was on that list only a few years back, and that town is ridiculously expensive.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 AM

490 posts, read 1,559,622 times
I don't put any value on such reports anymore as I find them to be very misleading. How they gather their data I don't know but there is something fishy about it. Fairfield made it to #9 in 2006, which was the year the town was most overpriced ever. Obviously they didn't take affordability into account then. In general, the town didn't deserve such a nice spot: is a nice town but it has much room for improvement.
JMHO

Old 07-14-2009, 09:35 AM

3,021 posts, read 8,270,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
CNN/Money Magazine released their 2009 National town rankings, and SIX Connecticut towns made the 100 town list! (Connecticut tied with Massachusetts, Ohio, and Texas as showing up the most on the list).

#27 - Tolland
#55 - Somers
#57 - Simsbury
#72 - Cheshire
#75 - East Lyme
#77 - Trumbull

I know we aren't too keen about these lists on our forum, but I think we should celebrate these wonderful towns (and all the wonderful towns in our state for that matter!) Go CT!
That's great!! A pretty decent showing in the top 100, right?

Does Trumbull even have a "town?" lol...I mean, I get it is a great place to raise a family, but there's hardly a "town" to speak of--just subdivisions.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:37 AM

3,021 posts, read 8,270,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. The description is not Trumbull. There is the mall on Main Street but it is surrounded by houses, not commercial businesses. You would have to travel about a mile south to the north end of Bridgeport for a commercial Strip of stores. Could that be what they are referring to? Also Main Street does not really pass through a downtown area in Trumbull. There is Town Hall Plaza but that is just a lone shopping center near Town Hall. There are also some shops along Main here and there but nothing with much density. There is also the stores on White Plains Road and Daniels Farm Road that is sort of a downtown area but that is no where near Main Street. And there really are no theaters in town, just on the border with Bridgeport like you noted. Very strange, Jay
Jay, I'm right there with you...I mean, I don't get it--it's a stretch. Many, many more "real" towns in CT that have true, vibrant little centers. Trumbull's nice--and I love the area--but there's no town center.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 AM

31 posts, read 40,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
CNN/Money Magazine released their 2009 National town rankings, and SIX Connecticut towns made the 100 town list! (Connecticut tied with Massachusetts, Ohio, and Texas as showing up the most on the list).

#27 - Tolland
#55 - Somers
#57 - Simsbury
#72 - Cheshire
#75 - East Lyme
#77 - Trumbull

I know we aren't too keen about these lists on our forum, but I think we should celebrate these wonderful towns (and all the wonderful towns in our state for that matter!) Go CT!
Course on the not so good side, watch out if you live in those towns.

Years ago when my little out of no where town in WA state was listed as "one of the best places to live in America..." a ton of people started to move there right afterward. I suppose that can be good and bad depending on how you look at it.

In a short ten years, when I went back for a visit, I could not even recognize it anymore. People moved there so fast that the streets and roads were not able to accommodate the traffic. It's a little better now, but WOW- when towns are listed in magazines, it has a huge impact.
Just sayin,

Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 PM

24,587 posts, read 40,150,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBmarybeth View Post
Course on the not so good side, watch out if you live in those towns.

Years ago when my little out of no where town in WA state was listed as "one of the best places to live in America..." a ton of people started to move there right afterward. I suppose that can be good and bad depending on how you look at it.

In a short ten years, when I went back for a visit, I could not even recognize it anymore. People moved there so fast that the streets and roads were not able to accommodate the traffic. It's a little better now, but WOW- when towns are listed in magazines, it has a huge impact.
Just sayin,
I doubt this kind of thing will happen here in CT. Land is scarce and zoning is tough. It would not be something that just happens overnight or even over a 5 year period. Jay

Old 07-14-2009, 02:48 PM

8,833 posts, read 14,240,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
I don't put any value on such reports anymore as I find them to be very misleading. How they gather their data I don't know but there is something fishy about it. Fairfield made it to #9 in 2006, which was the year the town was most overpriced ever. Obviously they didn't take affordability into account then. In general, the town didn't deserve such a nice spot: is a nice town but it has much room for improvement.
JMHO
Maybe it's a "relative" thing. Fairfield is where the "NYC influence" of high prices begins to end. It's certainly from my experience not as expensive as Greenwich, Darien, Ridgefield, etc. So maybe they weighed relative expense vs. relative nearness to NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I'm surprised Simsbury didn't rank higher. I don't think people realize how nice that town is until they actually go there and see for themselves.

They say these rankings look at a number of things, including affordability. I wonder if that was always the case since Greenwich was on that list only a few years back, and that town is ridiculously expensive.
Drove through the town today for the first time while visting a colleague and I see exactly what you mean.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:40 PM

1,785 posts, read 3,443,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Drove through the town today for the first time while visting a colleague and I see exactly what you mean.
Were you on Hopmeadow Street by any chance? It's one of the main North-South thoroughfares in town. On the south side are large corporate offices (Chubb, The Hartford), and if you keep going north it's a nice, scenic ride that has some condo complexes surrounded by woods (mostly older ones from the '60s and '70s) and the road goes through Simsbury Center which is the downtown area. It's really subdued over there but it's really nice.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:05 PM

22 posts, read 38,248 times
Woohoo Eastern CT!! Don't forget Waterford and New London, we rock!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut