U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 05:28 PM

9 posts, read 31,683 times

Advertisements

Aside from knowing I just want to leave Manhattan and rest of NYC, I don't even know where to start, so, please excuse me if my questions sound naive, vague, or just plain dumb.

Do you live in rental apartments (modern high-rise?) or condos?

I've never visited Hartford, CT before but it sounds appealing to me. I have seen pix of Hartford and I like the fact that it looks like a more approachable and livable city than Manhattan - without the uber tall, ugly, glassy towers. It seems like a smaller scale city without a lot of the hype.

I plan on taking a day trip to visit Hartford around August. I have no idea what of Hartford the bus is planning on making a stop in. Does anyone having any recommendations on where to eat or have a drink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 10:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,645 times
The majority of Hartford is rental apartments, but there are condos around the downtown area. If you’re looking for modern high rise, you’d want to check out Hartford 21. It’s a recently completed apartment tower downtown. For a good place to grab a drink check out the hartfordadvocate.com. It’s a weekly entertainment based newspaper.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:24 AM

6,605 posts, read 8,258,899 times
Park Place Towers may be another hi-rise to interest you. But keep in mind that most of Hartford city itself is pretty poor and run down, most professionals live in places like the adjacent city of West Hartford or more suburban areas (though they do live in these two towers and the parking, etc. is somewhat "gated"). West Hartford has a lot of rentals and condo type buildings though they generally are not as "hi-rise" and the two examples myself and the other responder gave.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:31 PM

12 posts, read 26,314 times
Hartford is nothing like Manhattan, you cannot even compare them. I'm not sure what pictures you were looking at but downtown is definitely uber ugly! Most people do NOT live there, they work there and live somewhere else. You can't live downtown and walk everywhere you need to go (like NYC), there isn't even a grocery store.

But if you're coming anyway check out the area around Bushnell Park, stop in at Dulce for happy hour, and have dinner at Trumbull Kitchen or Feng if you like sushi.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:25 PM

14,470 posts, read 22,949,089 times
Hartford is not an ugly city. In fact, I have been told by out-of-towners that it is quite attractive. Much of Hartford residents live in lower scale housing like 2 or 3 family houses. There is large number of 6 plexes that are called "Perfect Sixes". There are some large towers that are mentioned but these are few. Downtown does lack some of the amenities that you may need like shopping and grocery stores but there is adequate bus service to shopping centers in adjacent communities for that. Most that live downtown do not seem tom ind since they live there because of access to many great restaurants. Jay

Old 07-19-2009, 06:12 PM

6,605 posts, read 8,258,899 times
I think downtown Hartford is actually quite beautiful with a lot of varied architecture, but some of the parts outside of downtown look pretty ugly. But honestly, no uglier than the Bronx or parts of some other similar sized CT cities like Waterbury or New Haven outside of downtown, etc.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:05 PM

1,307 posts, read 1,989,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Hartford is not an ugly city. In fact, I have been told by out-of-towners that it is quite attractive. Much of Hartford residents live in lower scale housing like 2 or 3 family houses. There is large number of 6 plexes that are called "Perfect Sixes". There are some large towers that are mentioned but these are few. Downtown does lack some of the amenities that you may need like shopping and grocery stores but there is adequate bus service to shopping centers in adjacent communities for that. Most that live downtown do not seem tom ind since they live there because of access to many great restaurants. Jay
Jay, to be honest the word attractive is used in describing Hartford since downtown or the West End are what come to mind. There's some great architecture here, I agree. Unfortunately, Hartford lost MANY of its attractive, historic buildings in the 1950s and 60s thanks to highway construction and other "urban renewal" projects. These areas aside, the city overal doesn't strike me as attractive. Or safe for that matter. In fact, yet another homicide was reported in Hartford in (where else?) but the North End. People who find Hartford attractive probably haven't ventured down Albany Avenue lately or Main Street NORTH of downtown - and it's no coincidence that I-84 bisects that area, and when you north of the highway you enter into a whole different world. I'm not hating on Hartford, these are facts.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:59 AM

418 posts, read 895,589 times
Agreed, Hartford is nothing like Manhattan, but it is a very livable city, with good housing opportunities, a bit of culture, and more employment opportunities than many other places. It's also a place where one can get involved with their community and know your neighbors.
Plus, it's easy to get to NYC/Boston on the bus if you're right in town.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,597,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I think downtown Hartford is actually quite beautiful with a lot of varied architecture, but some of the parts outside of downtown look pretty ugly. But honestly, no uglier than the Bronx or parts of some other similar sized CT cities like Waterbury or New Haven outside of downtown, etc.
I agree with you. We spent a lot of time at the Riverfront Recapture. I wish more people would take advantage of that.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 PM

8 posts, read 14,601 times
Hartford is a vibrant city, despite its reputation. You just need to dig a bit to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut