U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2009, 08:30 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,880,789 times
Default Fireworks in Connecticut.

Okay, I know the 4th of July is over and all and fireworks have been banned in the East Coast, excluding Connecticut. For the 4th of July a few friends of mine went to Connecticut to purchase fireworks and even lit some up while they were over there since (from what I've heard) it's legal. If this is true, can anyone tell me where I can purchase fireworks at in Connecticut?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,895,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Okay, I know the 4th of July is over and all and fireworks have been banned in the East Coast, excluding Connecticut. For the 4th of July a few friends of mine went to Connecticut to purchase fireworks and even lit some up while they were over there since (from what I've heard) it's legal. If this is true, can anyone tell me where I can purchase fireworks at in Connecticut?

Thanks.
The only legal fireworks in this state are sparkler-based. In other words, no bottle rockets, nothing that shoots into the air, no M-80s. But the fact that they allow fireworks atall is surprising. It was only afew years ago they didn't even allow sparklers. WalMart often sets up tents in their parking lots when you can buy pretty much anything that's legal in this state, I always thought you could purchase these whenever you wanted to, even after the 4th, though that might not be the case. I would just try one of their stores and ask them.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:57 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,880,789 times
Cool. I might take a trip to Connecticut and see for myself. It sucks that only the sparklers are allowed. I wanted to get some roman candles and whatever. M-80's a too dangerous and I have had two bad experiences with them. ahaha. I really would like to get some sparklers and roman candles at least.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:02 AM

4,772 posts, read 7,543,191 times
There were numerous stores selling "fireworks" packages for sale in Ct. during the month of June, even the grocery stores, pharmacies etc. were selling them. Costco/BJ's might still have them, but I haven't seen them recently. I think at this point it would be hard to find any. And what was for sale was very limited, all the fireworks in those kits were low to the ground, certainly no roman candles. The packaged kits were expensive too, some over $100.

DPS: Sparkler Vendors

Old 07-25-2009, 10:21 AM

23,919 posts, read 12,462,119 times
I wrote a letter to Jodi Rell asking to consider banning ALL fireworks in CT. I cannot comprehend these places selling them to minors and I also cannot understand how adults can light them.

4th of July is over. Nobody or animal wants to hear that CRAP going off. Go find something else to do. Lets keep the peace and avoid light some tree or house or finger on fire!

ALL FIREWORKS (with the exception of sparklers) ARE ILLEGAL in Connecticut and may NOT be sold, purchased or used, with the EXCEPTION of regulated fireworks displays by state licensed, professional pyrotechnicians at sites which have been approved by state and local officials. Fireworks are defined by law as "any combustible or explosive composition prepared for the purpose of producing a visible or audible effect by combustion, explosion, deflagration or detonation." Novelties, and trick noise makers such as smoke bombs, party poppers and snappers and the "snake", and are banned by Connecticut General Statute 29-357. Effective June 1, 2000, Public Act 00-198 allows any person who is sixteen years of age or older to buy, sell and use sparklers of not more than one hundred grams of pyrotechnic mixture which are non-explosive and non-aerial.

Larger so-called "fire crackers" are actually explosive devices which are banned by both state and federal law. They include M-80’s, M-100’s, M-250’s and larger, cherry bombs, quarter sticks, block busters and other similar devices. Possession of these devices is prohibited by Connecticut General Statute 29-348, Illegal Possession of Explosives; manufacture of these devices is prohibited by Connecticut General Statute 53-80a., Manufacture of Bombs. The only exceptions to the fireworks statute are paper caps which contain less than .025 grains of explosive material.

Transportation to Connecticut of fireworks which have been privately purchased out-of-state is illegal. The fine for violation of transportation regulations is not more than $1,000 for a first offense; persons found guilty of subsequent offenses will be fined not less than $1,000 and not more than $2,000, or imprisoned not more than six months, or both. If injury or death results from such violation, the fine shall be not more than $10,000 or imprisonment for not more than ten years, or both. To order and purchase fireworks by mail is illegal in Connecticut.

Violation of CGS 29-357(d) calls for a fine of not more than $100 or a prison term of not more than 90 days or both; offering for sale, exposing for sale, or selling at retail or possessing with intent to sell a value exceeding $10,000 is a Class A misdemeanor.

The penalty for illegal possession of explosives, CGS 29-348, is a fine of not more than $10,000 or imprisonment of not more than 10 years, or both for each offense.

Violation of CGS 53-80a (manufacture of bombs) is a Class B felony; if a fire caused by fireworks is determined to be arson, first degree (CGS 53a-111), it is a Class A felony; 53a-112 arson second degree, Class B felony; arson, third degree, Class C felony; or if such a fire is determined to be reckless burning, (53a-114), it is a Class D felony.
The only safe way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted at a state approved site by state-licensed pyro-technicians.

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2149&q=294290

Old 07-25-2009, 04:40 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,584,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature27 View Post
I wrote a letter to Jodi Rell asking to consider banning ALL fireworks in CT. I cannot comprehend these places selling them to minors and I also cannot understand how adults can light them.

4th of July is over. Nobody or animal wants to hear that CRAP going off. Go find something else to do. Lets keep the peace and avoid light some tree or house or finger on fire!

YOU CAN'T be serious!

OMG...

Want me to tuck you into bed too?

"Dear Governor Rell...I know the world is upside down and the state is in a HUGE deficit...but can you PLEASE stop people from lighting sparklers...it's upsetting the native wildlife."

To the OP: Go to New Hampshire. (You know that live free or die state) They have the best selection around. The only thing they are missing are reloadable mortars which you can get in PA, but they lack other things that offset IMHO.

Phantom Fireworks - America's Fireworks Company

Go to locations and NH.

P.S. I don't see NH having homes and forests and animal santuaries burned to the ground because of those "invasive" fireworks.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:20 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,815,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

YOU CAN'T be serious!

OMG...

Want me to tuck you into bed too?

"Dear Governor Rell...I know the world is upside down and the state is in a HUGE deficit...but can you PLEASE stop people from lighting sparklers...it's upsetting the native wildlife."

To the OP: Go to New Hampshire. (You know that live free or die state) They have the best selection around. The only thing they are missing are reloadable mortars which you can get in PA, but they lack other things that offset IMHO.

Phantom Fireworks - America's Fireworks Company

Go to locations and NH.

P.S. I don't see NH having homes and forests and animal santuaries burned to the ground because of those "invasive" fireworks.

You have to admit, when you're trying to get some sleep and the bottlerockets and m80's are going off across the street, or elsewhere (sound does travel) I get pretty p'd off. A little is ok, but some people take it to the extreme.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:46 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,619,355 times
My family loves fireworks! I stock up and buy the sparklers and fountains at the local grocery store and Walmart when they go on sale before the 4th of July. We then celebrate birthdays, graduations, and cookouts throughout the summer with them.

These are relatively safe and they don't shoot up into the air. Some do make a lot of noise especially the "screaming" ones.

We save them for the weekends and we are considerate of our neighbors! We usually light them off as soon as it gets dark.

The kids and adults get such enjoyment from them.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:43 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,838,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature27 View Post
I wrote a letter to Jodi Rell asking to consider banning ALL fireworks in CT.
There's always somebody like that.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:29 AM

23,919 posts, read 12,462,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
You have to admit, when you're trying to get some sleep and the bottlerockets and m80's are going off across the street, or elsewhere (sound does travel) I get pretty p'd off. A little is ok, but some people take it to the extreme.
Not to mention the dogs going into panic mode and shivering because of it. Most dogs wont go outside and it affects the entire potty routine.

But people are oblivious to things in life sometimes. Ensconced in their own tunnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut