U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,474 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Fairfield County, CT or Westchester County, NY for a job commuting to NYC - Grand central. Like many posts, I'm looking for good schools, nice, friendly people, and a town where I can take a morning run with a baseball cap and no make-up.

We lived in San Francisco for 5 years before children, and with kids, we love the feel of Marin County, CA. Where can we find that in New England with the shortest commute?

Costs are a factor, but we prefer shorter commute over larger house. Even walking to the train station would be a huge plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:34 PM

24,625 posts, read 40,208,466 times
Well Westchester by virtue of its location is closer to New York City so it would offer the shortest commute time. That said, Westchester is pricey and has very high taxes.

The closest Connecticut town to New York is Greenwich. It is about a 45 minute train ride into Manhattan. Greenwich is a great town, often considered one of the most desireable communities in the country. It has a wonderful downtown with many great shops and restaurants. The schools are excellent and there are a lot of great family activities. There are several train stations in Greenwich so living within walking distance to one is possible. All that said, Greenwich is also pretty pricey. $1 million will buy you a modest home at best but coming from equally high-priced Marin County this may not shock you. Other well thought of towns in CT include Darien and New Canaan. Jay

Old 04-29-2010, 03:49 PM

33 posts, read 70,274 times
I agree-Westchester is closer than Conn. to the city. Where I live, in Harrison-I have a 37 min. commute to NYC-peak time-when there are also express trains. am also 10 min. from Greenwich, so have the best of both worlds.
With your coming from Marin County, chances are you have alot of land? In Greenwich, the houses are bigger (and alot pricier), but not as much acreage.
Any additional questions, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or