U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-05-2009, 10:06 AM

4 posts, read 10,998 times
Smile Old Pictures Of Stamford (1960's and early 70's)

Hi,

I was wondering how I can view old pictures of good old Stamford from the 1960's through the early 70's. I tried doing a Google Search but cannot seem to find any. Perhaps the Stamford Historical Society would be of help. I have pleasant memories of Stamford in my early youth and the pictures would bring back the good old times. Does anyone out there remember Stamford back then? I remember the old Ridgeway Center that had the Penn Drug with the old-fashioned lunch counter and Sears Roebuck and Gimbells and the Grand Central Market, plus there was another shopping center one block north that had a Grand Union, cottage bakery, Mayflower Deli and County Appliances before they moved out of there. Shippan had an amusement park, duckpin bowling alley, JoAnn's Drive-in hamburger joint, and the Starlight Drive-In plus Tony's hotdogs and hamburgers. Downtown Stamford had Greenbergs clothing store, CO Millers, and there was an Italian Deli also right on Atlantic Street. Plus old tenament houses where all the corporate buildings are. May do I miss old time Stamford... Let me know if anyone remembers.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 06:35 AM

418 posts, read 863,935 times
Stamford Historical Society definitely has those photos. Last fall, there was a temporary exhibit downtown that showed many photos of "old Stamford" from the 50s-80s. It's too bad the exhibit was only temporary.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:07 PM

8 posts, read 25,137 times
Default I remember Stamford CT in the 1960's and 1970's

I remember it vividly and would love to share those memories with others as well.

Bob
bob.devito@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets1962 View Post
Hi,

I was wondering how I can view old pictures of good old Stamford from the 1960's through the early 70's. I tried doing a Google Search but cannot seem to find any. Perhaps the Stamford Historical Society would be of help. I have pleasant memories of Stamford in my early youth and the pictures would bring back the good old times. Does anyone out there remember Stamford back then? I remember the old Ridgeway Center that had the Penn Drug with the old-fashioned lunch counter and Sears Roebuck and Gimbells and the Grand Central Market, plus there was another shopping center one block north that had a Grand Union, cottage bakery, Mayflower Deli and County Appliances before they moved out of there. Shippan had an amusement park, duckpin bowling alley, JoAnn's Drive-in hamburger joint, and the Starlight Drive-In plus Tony's hotdogs and hamburgers. Downtown Stamford had Greenbergs clothing store, CO Millers, and there was an Italian Deli also right on Atlantic Street. Plus old tenament houses where all the corporate buildings are. May do I miss old time Stamford... Let me know if anyone remembers.....

Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,545 times
I grew up on the Westside of Stamford ,played little league baseball for Mickey Lione during the latter part of the 50's. Friday nights we would attend the movies at The Stamford Boys Club for fifteen cents and watch Tarzan movies featuring Johnny Wiesmiller. Wonderful resturants including Lazy's, Open Door, Brass Rail,Pelices(?). Jerry's Pastry Shop and Sallys across the bridge on the left. My first job when I was a little boy was sweeping the floor at Jerry's Barber Shop for .75 and a meatball wedge from the Brass Rail next door. I remember an old coke machine with its handle on the side, cokes were a nickel, a Marilyn Monroe calender hanging in the waiting room. So many wonderful memories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut