Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:08 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times

Advertisements

Please note that there was a post made on this thread that contained a lot of misinformation. If you saw this post or received a copy of it as part of a subscription, please ignore it. Thank you, JayCT

Last edited by JayCT; 09-15-2009 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,134 times
hi ctgirl. I am thinking about moving to Southbury as well and work in Times Sq also. Can you let me know how your husband does it, (peter pan) (metro north in brewster) or (drive). It was 70 miles when I drove which I thought was a little too far. How long have you lived in Southbury and what was some of your reasoning?

Old 08-26-2009, 04:57 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,339 times
Ridgefield....you can definitely get a nice home in the 400-500 range (heck I've got one for sale at $500K right now!), the schools are top notch, and the commute is not bad at all. There is a train station in Ridgefield (Branchville) but it's a long trip and goes to NYC via Norwalk. We drive 20 mins to Katonah or Brewster NY and then it's about an hour into Grand Central from there. Definitely doable and Ridgefield is going to be among the least expensive of the Fairfield County towns bordering NY.

Last edited by arielmina; 08-26-2009 at 05:20 PM..

Old 08-26-2009, 05:08 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Ridgefield is going to be among the least expensive of the Fairfield County towns.
No, it isn't amongst the least expensive in FFC. Not by a long shot.
http://www.trulia.com/home_prices/Co...unty-heat_map/

Old 08-26-2009, 05:22 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,339 times
I meant, of the closer in towns with good schools... it's wayyy less expensive for equivalently sized homes/neighborhoods than Greenwich, Stamford, Darien, New Canaan, Wilton, Westport etc.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:24 PM

73 posts, read 197,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adxtc View Post
hi ctgirl. I am thinking about moving to Southbury as well and work in Times Sq also. Can you let me know how your husband does it, (peter pan) (metro north in brewster) or (drive). It was 70 miles when I drove which I thought was a little too far. How long have you lived in Southbury and what was some of your reasoning?
We have lived in Southbury for 10 years now. We moved from Westchester County.

My husband drives into TQ. He leaves around 7:00-7:15 in the morning and he says it takes him one hour and a half. He leaves TQ around 6 and is home at 7:30.....I agree it is long but he does not mind. He says he is used to it. I think if he got paid what he gets paid in NY then he would work closer but he would have to take a drastic pay cut since Manhattan pays way more than other surrounding cities.

We never thought we would end up this far up from the NY border (20 minutes to Danbury/NY line. However, at that time the real estate market was booming and there were bidding wars on every house we went to and houses were selling like hot cakes in Newtown/Brookfield/Ridgefield. I stumbled upon Southbury one day when someone told me about a store there and fell in love with the town. I told my husband to take a drive up and he saw what I fell in love with. I have written posts about Southbury in the past which I am sure you can pull up by typing in the town. In a nutshell...the schools are excellent...the town is modern with many stores but is kept classy and quaint keeping the New England charm. There are many parks/lakes/horse farms/antique houses/etc. We have easy access to 84 since Southbury consists of 4 exits off 84...13, 14, 15, 16. Southbury has many community events and the people are very friendly. The quality of life is wonderful. We would never want to move.

Please feel free to ask any more questions. Sorry I did not respond sooner. I happened to stumble upon this thread.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I meant, of the closer in towns with good schools... it's wayyy less expensive for equivalently sized homes/neighborhoods than Greenwich, Stamford, Darien, New Canaan, Wilton, Westport etc.
You are right...with the exception of Stamford. I was curious and looked at the figures! Ridgefield is quite the bargain, especially considering what a beautiful town it is that offers everything! Here's the median price of all housing units:

Greenwich: 1,261,160
New Canaan: 1,362,016
Darien: 1,253,537
Westport: 1,116,798
Weston: 1,114,626
Wilton: 1,012,327
Ridgefield: 799,540
Stamford: 672,558

I got my figures from CD

Old 08-30-2009, 07:52 PM

A post indicated that there was a problem public housing project very near the Fairfield town line. The fact is that this project is over a mile from the Fairfield town line.

Last edited by JayCT; 09-29-2009 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: Removed reference to other post

Old 08-30-2009, 08:12 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I wanted everyone to know that I deleted another post that had incorrect information. The post indicated that there was a problem public housing project very near the Fairfield town line. The fact is that this project is over a mile from the Fairfield town line. Please stop posting wrong information on this board or infractions will be issued. JayCT, Moderator
P.T. Barnum on Bird St. is under a mile from the Fairfield line, but i don't believe it impacts the town, as the area is mostly commercial(Commerce Dr. area).

Old 09-01-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
P.T. Barnum on Bird St. is under a mile from the Fairfield line, but i don't believe it impacts the town, as the area is mostly commercial(Commerce Dr. area).
Maybe this distance is as the bird flys but a river separates the two towns. By roads it is still at least a mile. And you are right, the Fairfield side is a very commercial area. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut