Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 PM

305 posts, read 1,888,890 times

Advertisements

I posted awhile back regarding potentially purchasing a second home with some money received from an inheritance. Looking for a nice, quiet beach town that is good for families. Ideally, I'd love a nice walkable town center where we can walk around, go to nice restaurants, shop in little stores etc. Also need to be near a beach. Budget is about $400K

Do you think Old Saybrook or Old Lyme fit this criteria? What is the difference between the two? Is one better than the other?

We are also looking in RI though I am not as familiar with the towns there.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 08:36 PM

wow - no replies

If Old Saybrook and Old Lyme aren't nice, should I be looking in other towns?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:10 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,828,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
wow - no replies

I don't know much about Old Lyme...but Old Saybrook is beautiful. As are most of those shoreline towns. Madison, Clinton, Stonginton, as well, would be nice places to have a beach house! I don't know if the weekends would be as quiet as you would like! I certainly haven't heard anything negative about Old Lyme though.

I would love to have a beach house someday. I'm jealous!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,766,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
wow - no replies

It's summer time, things can get a little slow on the forum. Also, the eastern portion of the state is a bit under-represented here, compared to western and central CT. I've not heard anything negative about either town and i'm pretty sure they're absolutely fine. I'm sure some of our posters from the eastern side will be able to help you further.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 PM

Thank you for the replies!

Having a beach house (doesn't have to be on a beach, just remotely close) is a dream of mine. Only reason it *may* be possible (keeping my fingers crossed) is because we are in the process of selling inherited property overseas that has been collecting dust for years and years. Trying to research different areas for family vacations. Ideally, I don't want to be too far or we'll never go. I appreciate the responses. Hopefully, I can drive out to CT soon to see both areas. I'll look at the other areas you mentioned above as well. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:04 AM

34,661 posts, read 56,437,947 times
I think Stratford is right. Summer is a bit slow. I probably should have responded but I thought others would. Sorry about that.

Old Saybrook and Old Lyme are great places to buy a second home. Many people have them there. Both are very nice towns and have enough activities to keep it interesting but not too busy. Either town would be good choices. I would see what properties you can find in either town that meet your needs and make the choice on that. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-14-2009, 10:11 PM

Thanks Jay! I'm going to drive to both towns to see if we can handle the distance. If not, I may be back asking about Branford or Guilford!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:14 PM

74 posts, read 298,402 times
I was going to post yesterday for you to check out Guilford. Beautiful town center, nice beaches, sleepy town, a nice orchard w. a farmer's market (although most of the same can be said for Old Saybrook). I've spent more time in Guilford, Branford and Westbrook. A friend had a summer house two streets over from the beach - Art Carney was her neighbor - we went there as often as possible, but I'm now going back almost twenty years (groan) and I don't remember anything about Westbrook center.

I am a huge fan of Branford, I have family and friends there and I love the center of town. My husband's commute is the only thing stopping us from living there. I personally like the beach better in Guilford than Branford, and depending on where you buy, there are small pockets in both towns where you can buy homes with beach rights, only allowable to you and your neighbors.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:44 PM

Thank you CTNY!

Originally we were looking up by Old Saybrook/RI but heard about Branford/Guillford from a friend. The proximity to NY would make it really desirable. We had never heard of these towns and figured that the closer we were to Fairfield, the more expensive it would be.

We are heading to RI soon and we'll be making pit stops along the way so don't be surprised if I come back in a couple of weeks with more questions.

I love your description above - sleepy town, nice town center and beach - it sounds exactly like what we are looking for. Hopefully,we can find something in our price range. Thanks again.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:40 PM

425 posts, read 1,101,066 times
Default Jyyanks

we were just down in Niantic today,gorgeous,there is some for sale ,that would be East Lyme/Niantic, the boardwalk goes the length of the bay, a public beach, and a nice little downtown
theres a great place for fish and chips right there called Skippers,its great and reasonable and right across from the bay, the trains run by like clockwork too.if your in the area its worth checking out
good luck and maybe someday Ill get a wad of cash left to me
best wishes!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut