U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Vidalia, GA
343 posts, read 395,418 times
Reputation: 306
Default Live in NYC, work in CT. Bad idea?

I am just tossing around ideas in my head, so thanks for being patient.

My employer is relocating me to Stratford in October, and among the housing options I am considering is getting an apartment in NYC and commuting to CT. I think this is backwards compared to what most people do. But I love living in Dallasí core - Manhattan should be heaven. Or maybe not.

I am trying to wrap my brain around how I would get to my job every day. If I take the train, I will still need a car to get to the job, which means leaving it parked in Stratford over night. Commuting by car from NYC isn't appealing.

This is probably a crazy idea, and I know living in CT is the practical solution, but I am interested in your input. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:11 AM
 
2,572 posts, read 5,351,845 times
Reputation: 1362
Well it would be a 1 hour and 1/2 commute without traffic.
But if that's something you are willing to do it may work for you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Live in NY State, (sometimes) work in CT
6,239 posts, read 7,038,949 times
Reputation: 2110
Both I-95 and the Hutchinson/Merritt Parkways (the two main routes you could take to Stratford from NYC) are "parking lots" in both directions at rush hours as people commute both ways. Leaving at car at the train station means you'll have to pay some sort of needless fee for parking.

Why not live in Stamford? It has a pretty decent nightlife, easier commute (though you'll still have traffic), you won't have to worry about 2-state income taxes, and very good train service into Manhattan so you can enjoy that as well when you want.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,974 posts, read 11,138,697 times
Reputation: 2442
yeah, Stratford is too far for a daily commute (i don't think there's a Metro North stop there).i agree with looking in the Greenwhich/Stamford area
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:06 AM
 
Location: W Hartford, CT
1,215 posts, read 1,685,677 times
Reputation: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yeah, Stratford is too far for a daily commute (i don't think there's a Metro North stop there).i agree with looking in the Greenwhich/Stamford area
Stratford does have a MetroNorth stop into Manhattan, but it's about a 1 hour 30 minute train ride.

Stamford would be a much shorter commute but it's more expensive
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Vidalia, GA
343 posts, read 395,418 times
Reputation: 306
Thanks for the replies. I am moving to CT almost sight-unseen - spent 15 hours there when I interviewed for the job, 8 of those hours sleeping. The interview was in June, but I have almost no recollection of the Stratford area except that the houses all looked old and the area was very green - what little I saw looked okay.

New Haven seems nice; some people on this board say itís a great place to live, others say itís gang-ridden. Milford is on my list, but my cousin says it is loaded with crime. What? These are small cities - how can they be crime-ridden?

Finding a new place to live in an unfamiliar area is challenging - I might throw a dart on a map and rent for a year. My employer is paying for a week of house/apartment hunting in September Ė getting a feel for the area will do some good. This board is a huge resource, so thanks for the comments.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-13-2009, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
13,326 posts, read 19,963,394 times
Reputation: 2872
When I read your post I immediately thought why not consider New Haven. You could live downtown and commute to Stratford which is about 30 minutes away. There are a lot of nice apartments downtown now and you will be within walking distance of a lot of great restaurants, stores, entertainment and cultural activities.

I am not sure why your cousin says Milford is crime-ridden. They are just plain WRONG. Milford is a middle-class suburban community with typical suburban type crime but nothing excessive. I would say it is a very safe community to live in. New Haven is a large city by Connecticut standards and does have typical urban crime issues but the worst of it is limited to a few neighborhoods. Stay away from them and be aware of our surroundings and you will not have a problem. Jay
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
 
Location: The brown house on the cul de sac
2,081 posts, read 2,395,372 times
Reputation: 9253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am moving to CT almost sight-unseen - spent 15 hours there when I interviewed for the job, 8 of those hours sleeping. The interview was in June, but I have almost no recollection of the Stratford area except that the houses all looked old and the area was very green - what little I saw looked okay.

New Haven seems nice; some people on this board say itís a great place to live, others say itís gang-ridden. Milford is on my list, but my cousin says it is loaded with crime. What? These are small cities - how can they be crime-ridden?

Finding a new place to live in an unfamiliar area is challenging - I might throw a dart on a map and rent for a year. My employer is paying for a week of house/apartment hunting in September Ė getting a feel for the area will do some good. This board is a huge resource, so thanks for the comments.
For a young professional, I would recommend Milford over New Haven, any day! I would also consider Stratford and Shelton. Shorter, easier commute as well.

I would never recommend moving to New Haven sight unseen. Not only would I look at the very high crime rate, I would also contact the local police department with questions.

Milford has everything you could want...shopping, restaurants, walkable downtown and beaches!! Not to mention 1/4 of the crime of New Haven as well as 347 less sex offenders than New Haven!

Good luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-13-2009, 04:14 PM
 
7,581 posts, read 7,983,833 times
Reputation: 4581
I'd suggest looking at the Black Rock section of Bridgeport, and New Haven(others can point you to which neighborhoods). If these places are too slow for you, i would look next at the SONO section of Norwalk, and Stamford in the 06901 periphery. That 06901 area is basically as fast-paced as you'll find in this state. For obvious reasons, i don't recommend commuting from NYC. Good luck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-21-2009, 12:09 PM
 
73 posts, read 152,195 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I am just tossing around ideas in my head, so thanks for being patient.

My employer is relocating me to Stratford in October, and among the housing options I am considering is getting an apartment in NYC and commuting to CT. I think this is backwards compared to what most people do. But I love living in Dallasí core - Manhattan should be heaven. Or maybe not.

I am trying to wrap my brain around how I would get to my job every day. If I take the train, I will still need a car to get to the job, which means leaving it parked in Stratford over night. Commuting by car from NYC isn't appealing.
There are many people that commute from NYC to work in CT. Most of them work in Stamford/Norwalk. You could do it. You could probably find somebody on craigslist that would be willing to drive you to work from the train station everyday. You might even be able to rideshare with somebody at work.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top