U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2009, 10:53 PM

4 posts, read 22,039 times
Default Best driving route from Washington DC to Waterbury,CT

Can anyone tell me the best way to drive from Washington DC to Waterbury, Ct with very few (if any) toll roads? I check on map quest but it seems a bit confusing. Map quest seems to guide me out of the way.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 11:59 PM

11,886 posts, read 12,270,363 times
You would hit tolls all along 95 from MD to NYC.

IMO the best way to go would be from the NJ Turnpike over the Tappan Zee Bridge. From there you can take one of two routes: I-684 N to I-84 E, or the Hutchinson River Parkway to the Merritt Parkway (no trucks) in CT, to Rt 8 N. Going the Merritt to Rt 8 is quicker by 3 miles.

Go the speed limit in Delaware - lots of cops!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 AM

438 posts, read 702,365 times
My usual route going south is I-84, I-684, Saw Mill Parkway, Henry Hudson Parkway, George Washington Bridge, New Jersey Turnpike, and then I-95 through either Baltimore or, for a more scenic route, Route 1 in Delaware to 301 over the Bay Bridge (one direction doesn't charge a toll, can't remember which). Reverse that to go north. If you get very lucky, it can be done in less than six hours from the Waterbury area, but close to seven is more realistic.

But there are tolls throughout that route, and traffic can get nasty around the GW Bridge -- if anything, it seems worse coming north. If there is a way to do it in a reasonable amount of time without much in the way of tolls in NY/PA/NJ, I'd love to know about it.

The last post in this thread may also be useful, if you're absolutely determined to "shunpike".

Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 AM

14,254 posts, read 22,344,762 times
It is pretty hard to drive anywhere near New York or Philidelphia without paying tolls. You would need to go out and around these cities pretty far to avoid them and that would add significant mileage to your trip. Jay

Old 08-17-2009, 07:40 AM

1,834 posts, read 3,710,720 times
I would look into I-95 to I-695 to I-83 to I-81 to I-78 to 287 (Tappan Zee) to the Sawmill Parkway to I-684 to I-84.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:09 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,656,120 times
I'm not sure if it's the cheapest route but having done the drive many times I can tell you the route I have found the best (avoiding traffic, nice rest stop areas) to drive is:

95 to New Jersey Trnpke (still 95)
Garden State Thruway
87/287
Tappan Zee Bridge
684 to 84

I would recommend ez pass as well! You will sail through the tolls!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,932,548 times
Best thing to avoid tolls: 95 to 695, to 83, to 81, to 84.

The only toll is eastbound across the Hudson River at the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge. Last I knew it was like $1 or $1.25. Not bad at all, especially compared to downriver. Westbound crossings of the Hudson are free.

But this would be going quite out of the way. According to Google Maps, DC to Waterbury is about 320 miles and a little over five and a half hours. The route I mentioned above adds 80-90 miles and at least an hour to an hour and a half. Unless of course you leave DC at the wrong time and would get stuck in traffic on 95 much of the way.

If you wanted to completely avoid tolls, you'd have to go all the way to Albany and then back down. Which makes no sense.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:39 AM

109 posts, read 255,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny4u2c View Post
Can anyone tell me the best way to drive from Washington DC to Waterbury, Ct with very few (if any) toll roads? I check on map quest but it seems a bit confusing. Map quest seems to guide me out of the way.

Thanks
If you are traveling during high traffic times, you may want to consider going through Annapolis and up Route 301 on the eastern shore of MD to Wilmington and catch the turnpike there. That was our preferred route through MD.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:20 AM

14,254 posts, read 22,344,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Best thing to avoid tolls: 95 to 695, to 83, to 81, to 84.

The only toll is eastbound across the Hudson River at the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge. Last I knew it was like $1 or $1.25. Not bad at all, especially compared to downriver. Westbound crossings of the Hudson are free.

But this would be going quite out of the way. According to Google Maps, DC to Waterbury is about 320 miles and a little over five and a half hours. The route I mentioned above adds 80-90 miles and at least an hour to an hour and a half. Unless of course you leave DC at the wrong time and would get stuck in traffic on 95 much of the way.

If you wanted to completely avoid tolls, you'd have to go all the way to Albany and then back down. Which makes no sense.
Actually a friend used this route recently and said it was great. Hardly any traffic since it avoids New York and Philly. Even though it adds mileage to the trip, my friend believes it takes less time since you do not hit any traffic. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut