U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:37 AM

160 posts, read 417,404 times
Default Is Connecticut rural?

When you think of Connecticut, do you think of it as a mostly urban state or mostly rural? (More or less so than MA?)

Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,239,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp646 View Post
When you think of Connecticut, do you think of it as a mostly urban state or mostly rural? (More or less so than MA?)
Yes.

It's has a high density, but is hardly "urban"...and also not "rural" in the sense the rest of the nation knows. Kind of an interesting blend of both I guess...it's what keeps me intrigued.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:40 AM

6,748 posts, read 4,428,549 times
I will echo JViello's excellent response and add:

It's not just a matter off rural versus urban. Connecticut in a very small area offers more varied landscapes, geography, densities, and lifestyles than most large states. You have small working class villages that were built on the fishing industry, ultra wealthy suburban communities, middle class city and suburbs, areas that are flat, hilly, densely populated and sparsely populated. Nothing is more than two hours away--

That's one of the things that, I believe, makes Connecticut special. Have breakfast on the shore, lunch in the hills in a forest like setting, and dinner in the city at a ball game and still sleep in your own bed at night.

Hope this helps....

Old 08-23-2009, 10:45 AM

263 posts, read 378,016 times
There are parts of Connecticut that are surprisingly rural.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:17 AM

182 posts, read 319,732 times
Hardly an urban state, but hardly a rural one either. Cities, in the more popular sense, aren't very common in CT, but you could drive clear across the state and never see a farm. It is pretty densely populated as a whole, but it isn't crowded. It is a unique blend. I haven't been to all of MA, but I would compare the two as similar. Southern CT is more dense than northern CT, and eastern MA is more dense than western MA. MA is close to twice the size of CT so you can't really say one or the other.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:20 AM

160 posts, read 417,404 times
Interesting responses thus far. Personally, I think of MA as more urban because the Boston metro area expands all the way to Worcester. Shrewsbury, which boarders Worcester's eastern edge, is considered a suburb of both Worcester and Boston. CT doesn't really have any area with this many urban/suburban towns clustered together for such a long stretch. I would say, regardless of size, the majority of the state of MA is urban. Agree? Disagree?

Old 08-23-2009, 11:29 AM

6,401 posts, read 7,543,273 times
Much of CT's soil is rocky, leading to no major agriculture (although farms certainly do exist). I think it is a very unique state of a lot of small cities and towns, with some very pretty rural areas here and there.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:04 PM

11,620 posts, read 11,501,964 times
Most of CT is not rural, but suburban. There are, however, some nice rural towns in the NE and NW corners. As someone else put it, it would not be considered rural to one who travels the USA extensively. It's the 3rd most densely populated state, but thanks to strict zoning and lots of trees, one would hardly know it.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:24 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,239,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp646 View Post
Interesting responses thus far. Personally, I think of MA as more urban because the Boston metro area expands all the way to Worcester. Shrewsbury, which boarders Worcester's eastern edge, is considered a suburb of both Worcester and Boston. CT doesn't really have any area with this many urban/suburban towns clustered together for such a long stretch. I would say, regardless of size, the majority of the state of MA is urban. Agree? Disagree?
Sure it does! From Stamford to Hartford. Just follow the highways on a map and you'll see it. Each "burb" blends into the other such as Milford. Burb of Bport or New haven? Same for Westport. Burb of Norwalk/Stamford or Bport? Meriden. Burb of New Haven or Hartford? lol

What I find different is the landscape. MOST of CT is hilly, even in the river valley. I find Eastern Mass to be pretty flat in comparison. I don't think the topography East of Worcester is very nice.

Here watch this video about our state parks to see what I mean as it goes across the state:

http://u10videos.com/DEP/Parks/CTPar...ks/CTParks.smi

Old 08-23-2009, 02:36 PM

6,401 posts, read 7,543,273 times
If you were to see CT at night from space, you'd see an unbroken (albeit thin, perhaps the width being from the LI Sound to the Merritt Parkway) string of "urban" light from Greenwich to New Haven, then it continues due north in the I-91 corridor through Hartford past the state line to Springfield. The difference between this stretch and the rest of "megalopolis" from Boston to DC is that it's the one major area in the stretch where there's not a city big enough to be "major" like Boston or Philly or Washington, it's just a lot of small to mid-size cities clustered together.

I believe this is actually unique for America (though you are starting to see it to some extent in North Carolina going from Raleigh to Greensboro down to Charlotte), but not for the world. In Germany there's an area called the "Rhein-Ruhr complex" that is not dominated by one single major city but is big enough "clustered" that if it were in America it would have pro sports teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut