U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:16 AM

14,256 posts, read 22,344,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi1209 View Post
The beaches in Connecticut are disappointing! We came here thinking the coast of New England was sandy and pristine, soon but realised that it was littered with seaweed, broken shells and brown water. Connecticut is very attractive in many instances but beacheß are not one of the strong selling points. We are off to the City of Palms soon, cannot wait to experience daily a more relaxed (and friendly) America!
I kind of disagree with this. Connecticut beaches may not be as exotic as other locations but they are easily accessible to a large percentage of people. New Jersey has great beaches but they are a long distance from much of the major population centers. This is the case for most major cities around the country. Also Long Island Sound is protected so you do not have the extremely choppy, high wave conditions of the open ocean. They are what they are so stop complaining about everything and try to enjoy the state. Many other people do and they all can't be wrong. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 08:29 AM

26 posts, read 66,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I kind of disagree with this. Connecticut beaches may not be as exotic as other locations but they are easily accessible to a large percentage of people. New Jersey has great beaches but they are a long distance from much of the major population centers. This is the case for most major cities around the country. Also Long Island Sound is protected so you do not have the extremely choppy, high wave conditions of the open ocean. They are what they are so stop complaining about everything and try to enjoy the state. Many other people do and they all can't be wrong. Jay
It is an opinion JAyCT. Residence in CT have a difficult time accepting the opinions of others, it seems. I would much appreciate it if you all will stop attacking me for mine!

My OPINION is that beaches in CT feature brown/green water with harsh sand. That can be a fact as well. Not dandy.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:23 AM

4,776 posts, read 7,684,880 times
Quote:
The beaches in Connecticut are disappointing! We came here thinking the coast of New England was sandy and pristine, soon but realised that it was littered with seaweed, broken shells and brown water. Connecticut is very attractive in many instances but beacheß are not one of the strong selling points. We are off to the City of Palms soon, cannot wait to experience daily a more relaxed (and friendly) America!
I think it all depends on what a person is looking for in a beach. Since Connecticut's beaches are actually just along the sound, I don't think it would be fair to expect them to be "sandy and pristine", and one certainly shouldn't expect palm trees, due to the climate. We don't go to Ct. beaches to swim in the water, or sun ourselves, we go far to the south for that. But Ct.'s beaches are nice for a nature walk, I think they have a rugged beauty, and some are certainly better than others here.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:36 AM

261 posts, read 358,952 times
Having any kind of beach at all is to me, a bonus. I am surprised that anyone would expect Florida type beaches in CT. As noted above, CT is not on the ocean proper, but rather has Long Island Sound which is like a very large bay. Bays are not generally known for long and wide expanses of sandy beaches. At least not in my experience. There are however, some very nice towns along the shore where you can smell the tang of the salt water and enjoy the sight gently lapping waves while having a post picnic stroll along the beach. But for big waves and large sandy beaches I would recommend taking a day trip north or a longer vacation south.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:25 AM

4,445 posts, read 4,522,395 times
Quote:

As a nomadic sun and beach bum … I have been on many beaches up and down the Atlantic and Pacific Coasts of the USA. Although I’m not a huge Connecticut beach fan (although I don’t dislike them either…but the beaches in RI are so close)… your above statement is not really fair, and factually incorrect. Since I have time to kill here at work let me explain/show you a few things:

First, a geography note about beaches and Connecticut:

Coastal Connecticut can really be divided into two regions: A rocky one from NY State to Guilford…and a flat – tidal marsh sedimentary one from Madison to Rhode Island. Beaches from Guilford to the NY State line tend to be rock and shell filled, with course sand, and slow tidal currents. However, once you get past Guilford Point…the Connecticut coast is mostly outwash deposits, mixed with very fine sandy till, which creates the soft powder-like sand that makes the beaches of eastern Connecticut/western Rhode Island so nice. Also, since the beaches of eastern Connecticut are closer to the open-sea…the tidal currents are faster, thus silt /sand is carried in from the Atlantic, and the sea floor has LESS microbes so the water appears much clearer and lighter in color. The result – beaches from Madison to Rhode Island tend to be much nicer than the beaches from Guilford to the NY State line.

In terms of “seaweed, broken shells and brown water”…I don’t think anyone could logically say those terms in relation to the beaches of eastern Connecticut (all beaches have periods of seaweed upwelling, however). It sounds as if you’re not too familiar with the beach areas in Connecticut…so here is a quick run of the beaches along the eastern Connecticut coast to just over the Rhode Island state line. I went a little crazy with my new photoshop 7.0 (lol)…

Hammonassett State Park, Madison (exit 62 I-95): A 1000-acre park with beach, camping, hiking, and shower facilities. Here you’ll find soft and shell free sand, moderately clear water, and a one-mile boardwalk that goes through the dune fields.

The boardwalk at Hammonassett early morning…

Rocky Neck State Park, East Lyme (exit 72 I-95): Rocky Neck beach is one of the few real barrier islands in Connecticut. This beach is where any complaints about “soft sand” ends in Connecticut. Here beach-goers in Connecticut are greeted by a blinding-white sheet of fine quartz sand…almost powder like. Only a few beaches (the Florida Panhandle, Assateagaue Island, the Bahamas…etc) have such soft powder-white sand. By comparison - the beaches I have been on in southern California ( LA/Santa Barbara) are like sandpaper. On a sunny summer day…the vision of polar white sand and emerald-green sea is alluring to anyone with a pulse. In terms of soft sand and clear ocean waters…this Connecticut’s “Reveria” (lol).

The crowds and the “white sands’ of Rocky Neck Beach.

Ocean Beach Park, Wartford/New London (exit 83 I-95): I suppose this is Connecticut’s version of a tiny A1-A in Fort Lauderdale or Venice Beach (lol). OBP offers a beach, amusement park, concerts, a hall (weddings/dinners), and a nice boardwalk that meanders from the beach to the back marshes with a walking history tour of the tidal wave associated with the 1938 hurricane. The sand here is nice, the waves a bit rougher as you are now approaching the open sea.

Ocean Beach Park…

How many Beach Parks in the USA have a pool looking out to sea (lol)

The Boardwalk…

Misquamicut State Beach, Westerly, RI (exit 92 I-95). Although technically in Rhode Island, this huge beach is only about 4-miles from the Connecticut state line. This is your more typical Atlantic-facing beach, with big waves, white sand, clear water (you can see your feet when you are up to your waist often)…and thousands of people. Crowed on weekends, but fun.

The new main facility buildings elevated 15-feet above sea level offers a good view.

This is my favorite beach (below) between New Haven, CT and Newport, Rhode Island. East Beach, Rhode Island. Miles of sugar white sand, not too crowed in summer, big waves, laid back crowd, friendly surfers, and a great place to read a book. Plenty of fine suger white sand and clear water. Please don’t go here, ever (lol).

Then just as mentoned above …when it gets cool in October in Connecticut…many of us gas up the car and head south…

to Myrtle Beach in October/November…

then to Ft. Lauderdale by January or February.

So if you can live cheap…buy a good running van… get a decent pair of sunglasses…and a map of with rest stops along I-95…you can just live a nomadic seasonal beach life on the East Coast, moving with the seasons. You’ll be poor…but you’ll be tan and warm (ha).

Sorry, I went a little crazy with the photoshop, but its soooo fun to use.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 09-12-2009 at 09:35 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 12:46 PM

542 posts, read 1,183,177 times
Wavehunter,

Thanks, that was really educational. I like a post with solid content And I didn't think your use of Photoshop was excessive or unwarranted.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:10 PM

418 posts, read 876,044 times
In response to the original question, I'm a big fan of Niantic (East Lyme). People live there year-round, but it has tourist amenities too, and real estate prices are reasonable. There is a nice boardwalk downtown within walking distance of restaurants and ice cream. It's a very relaxed place. West Haven is also a good family town with a beach environment, though I've heard people complain about the school system.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:39 PM

24,481 posts, read 12,954,671 times
WOW! wavehunter just put kiwi1209 to shame. Thanks. Awesome post! Milford has an awesome town near the beach. Cute little houses close to eachother but it seems like a nice community.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:48 PM

175 posts, read 449,974 times
Thanks Wavehunter!
That was quite an education! I'm generally not a big summertime beach person (I don't like heat and crowds), but your pictures remind me of everything that is great about Connecticut beaches and more. I can't wait to finally move up there permenantly and check out some of the beaches you've showed that I've never seen... makes me want to explore even more!

Old 09-13-2009, 01:54 PM

11,886 posts, read 12,270,363 times
Quote:
I agree with the others that you can't expect CT beaches to be like Florida (City of Palms = Ft Myers I think judging by a Google search). Wavehunter did an excellent job describing what the beaches are like. I personally am not a fan of the water in LI Sound, but the beaches in CT are really beautiful and rustic, even in the larger more developed towns. They have character, and are not like the miles of flat, white sand with Publix, Chilis and Applebees along roads like A1A, and scores of rental homes/condo complexes like you'd see in Jersey, parts of RI and much of the eastern seaboard. Many towns keep their beaches hidden in CT, and that is much of the appeal. Don't get me wrong, FL beaches are beautiful, and Siesta Key Beach is the most amazing I've been to in the world, but go a mile or two inland and it's chain store/traffic light/incompetent driver HELL.

Regarding your quest for "friendly" Americans, well, don't look at Florida. A large percentage are CT/MA/NJ/NY transplants. As wavehunter put it, they (we) flock down there in the cooler seasons. Also, I have never found the FL locals to be friendly. You have to go to middle America for that (Iowa, Nebraska, etc) where you won't find ANY beaches at all.

Sorry you don't like CT and its residents but instead of complaining about it on here, begin the moving process. I've actually begun to plan our trip back there (from CA which we hate) in a few months. Can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut