Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 04:08 PM

20 posts, read 79,143 times

Advertisements

Did any of you face this problem? I had 2 cars registered in CT when I was living in CT earlier. I moved out in 2002 and sold one of my car and the other one was moved out of state later. I recently moved back and when I went to DMV to get my out of state car registered, they told me that I owe taxes to local municipalities from way back when I was not even living in CT. I don't know if you have had this situation. I contacted the local tax assessor in the counties I used to live in and they are asking if I can prove of car sold or registered out of state.
Unfortunately when I sold my car 1 I gave signed back of the title and gave it to the buyer. Not sure what proof I can have.

Please share your thoughts and experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,687,744 times
unfortunately, you owe on a Oct 1st grand list in arrears. If you move within the state, then the DMV notifies the towns. Do you still have the Bill of Sale or did you make a copy of it to show your old state that you didn't own it anymore? Old insurance bills with the Vehicle ID # on it, showing date of termination? Good luck

Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 AM

Default docs from insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Do you still have the Bill of Sale or did you make a copy of it to show your old state that you didn't own it anymore? Old insurance bills with the Vehicle ID # on it, showing date of termination? Good luck
thanks seymourct! Unfortunately I don't have copies of bill of sale, it was so long ago and I don't have out of state registration either, I should keep more documents .

I will try to get some document from my insurance company and will update here if that helps.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:09 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
You are screwed.

You have two LEGAL options:

1. Wait 7 (8?) years until it falls of the "system"

or

2. Pay the bloody outrageous, stupid, rediculous personal property taxes, interest and penalties on your vehicles and remember this when election time comes. You can't fight city hall on this one, trust me.

There are several "non legal" options, but in the spirit of being a good boy, I will not go there.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:26 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Harass the heck out of each of them(the taxing municipality and the DMV). I had a situation years ago whereby i was transferring a plate to a new vehicle and DMV was insistent that i owed back vehicle taxes to the town of Stratford. I went to the tax assessors office and they said everything was in order, and DMV had an error on their end. O.K. fine, just give me a release that i can show to DMV and i'll be all set, right? Wrong! They wouldn't give me a release, because i never did owe back taxes.

It took a day of harassing each of them before DMV basically said, your town didn't provide us with the correct microfiche with tax collection data, but we'll go ahead and process your transfer. Don't even get me started on the time that they lost a title from a lender, and made me pay for a duplicate!

Old 09-15-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It took a day of harassing each of them before DMV basically said, your town didn't provide us with the correct microfiche with tax collection data, but we'll go ahead and process your transfer. Don't even get me started on the time that they lost a title from a lender, and made me pay for a duplicate!
sorry to hear about your case.

I just sent my final settlement. The letter from insurance company helped in reducing taxes. thanks for everyone's response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: