Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 10:34 AM

113 posts, read 363,991 times

Advertisements

haven't filled the tank since early spring but now the weather has changed i guess it's time to start thinking about winter and heating oil.

i was trying to reasearch prices online as i did not lock in last year or have a contract and was much better off not doing so.

does anyone have thoughts or opinions or the inside scoope on this years prices?

thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 02:50 PM

13 posts, read 33,734 times
Check out Hartford County's Free Heating Oil Buyer's Group. We joined Pinergy last winter after finding out about it from a friend who's also a realtor. The prices--which are posted weekly on the web site--were cheaper than those of other local oil companies that we've noticed other neighbors and friends using.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:32 PM

83,304 posts, read 74,586,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebritty View Post
haven't filled the tank since early spring but now the weather has changed i guess it's time to start thinking about winter and heating oil.

i was trying to reasearch prices online as i did not lock in last year or have a contract and was much better off not doing so.

does anyone have thoughts or opinions or the inside scoope on this years prices?

thanks so much
You can just call your company and ask for their current rates. Then watch the Crude Oil futures and see what they do. You'll get a general idea of where your rate will go. Right now they should be in the upper $2's...I think. I'm guessing no higher then $3.25 or lower then $2.50 this winter.

You aren't locked into a rate??

Old 09-16-2009, 12:38 PM

i also found a timely article onthe subject in the ct post. thanks

Early break, but no escape on heating oil price this winter
By Rob Varnon
STAFF WRITER
Updated: 09/15/2009 10:07:51 PM EDT

Heading into fall, heating oil contract prices are down 50 percent compared to last year, but a federal agency expects people will end up paying on average what they did last winter.
The Independent Connecticut Petroleum Association said late Monday heating oil prices are at four-year lows if inflation is taken into account, hovering around the mid $2 mark. And today's prices are well below the more than $4 a gallon many Connecticut residents saw in September 2008.
ICPA President and Chief Executive Officer Gene Guilford said in an advisory on prices issued Monday "there's no reason to believe energy prices will change significantly over the near term, given the nation's economic conditions."
Guilford cautioned people against locking into high contracts and cited the near hysteria generated last year when people locked in prices above $4 after being scared with reports from analysts predicting crude oil would top $200 a barrel. He said it appears many residents have learned lessons from that and are more conservative about deals.
The good news, however, appears to be all in the front end of this winter's heating season, according to the U.S. Department of Energy's Energy Information Administration.
The EIA projections show the price for heating oil, including taxes, will run well below last year's prices until December, then heating oil customers will start to pay more per gallon than they did last winter. Ultimately, the EIA projects the Northeast residential heating oil prices will average nearly the same this winter as they did last, about $2.72 a gallon.
Christian Herb, ICPA's vice president, noted the EIA changes its forecast every two weeks, so it's a fluid number. Herb said the best gauge he has for oil heat customers is today. People locking in contracts are in much better positions than a year ago. He said spot customers, those buying oil without a contract, are paying about 35 percent less than a year ago.
Neil Gamson, an EIA economist, said the federal agency's forecasts are preliminary right now and a more comprehensive forecast will be available on Oct. 6. He said keys for the winter are oil inventories and how cold a winter this will be.
"You never know, of course, with the weather," he said.
The National Weather Service is projecting temperatures in the Northeast will be above normal for the next three months and Gamson said it appears the Northeast winter will be about the same as it was last year.
While heating oil prices are expected to average about the same as last winter, he said, natural gas heating customers are on track to see a decrease in costs this winter because natural gas use by industries is down and because stores of natural gas are very high.
"There's no real good reason for the market to go very far in either direction," said Thomas Santa, president and chief executive officer of Bridgeport-based Santa Energy.
Santa was not surprised the EIA predicting December prices would be higher than last year.
"The market dropped so precipitously last year," he said. There's no reason to see a major fall like that, although he also cautioned he couldn't predict what's going to happen.
"I personally believe, it would seem the most important driver to the oil markets will be the economy," he said.
But this year, there is such a big reserve of oil, it's unlikely prices could be driven up very high during the winter if economic activity surges, he said.
Next year, that could all change, Santa added. Some analysts are predicting crude oil will surge above $100 a barrel in the spring, though others are projecting it will take until 2012 to hit that mark.
Santa recommended people work on making their homes more efficient so they use less oil this winter and in the future.
"Conservation is always key," he said.
Northeast heating oil prices last season vs. projections for this season, according to U.S. Department of Energy 2008-09 2009-10 Oct. $3.34 $2.60 Nov. $2.96 $2.68 Dec. $2.63 $2.75 Jan. $2.59 $2.77 Feb. $2.47 $2.75 Mar. $2.37 $2.73

Old 09-16-2009, 05:49 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,924,672 times
Bottom line, all the oil companies in the Hartford area purchase their oil out of the depot in Wethersfield.

If you want the best quality mix, and the best price call my friend Jeff Jones at Ferguson and Jones. Jeff WILL be excellent not only on price, but delivery and he's an all out expert on heating systems should the need arise. He even has a "today's oil price" widget on his website that gives the REAL wholesale pricing that HE pays and then marks up. No B.S.

Ferguson & Jones Oil

Old 09-17-2009, 08:03 AM

what a great tool on that website. if only he were in fairfield county

Old 09-17-2009, 08:15 AM

3 posts, read 7,640 times
Default Try this company

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebritty View Post

thanks so much
I would try what I've been using - [URL="http://www.OILFORLESS.COM"]www.OILFORLESS.COM[/URL] - they saved me a lot of money last year and I'm using them again. They are great.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 7,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post
You can just call your company and ask for their current rates. Then watch the Crude Oil futures and see what they do. You'll get a general idea of where your rate will go. Right now they should be in the upper $2's...I think. I'm guessing no higher then $3.25 or lower then $2.50 this winter.

You aren't locked into a rate??
I have been using OILFORLESS.COM and they saved me a lot of money last year and I'm using them again. Try them they are great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut