Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,525 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am going to be moving to Connecticut in the next few months, ideally by January or February. I graduated from college in May and have a job at a nonprofit in New Jersey, however, I do not like the job at all and can no longer stand living in Jersey. I have spent many weekends in Connecticut and I love the lifestyle and the setting. I would be moving in with my friend from college, who already lives there now with her parents. When I move we would get an apartment. Her job is in Ivoryton/Essex so we would be looking around that area. I cannot move without a job, so I am looking in that area as well. I think a 20 minute radius would be a reasonable distance to travel to her job. Being that I am not from Connecticut I do not really know what are good areas to live in. Also, neither of us are too sure what a decent price for a two bedroom apartment in this area would be. I would appreciate any help or information that you guys have!! Thanks so much for everything in advance!!

DJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:56 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
The Ivoryton/Essex area is located in the lower Connecticut River Valley which is mostly surrounded by small towns. The nearest major employment centers would be Hartford to the north, New Haven to the west or New London to the east.

Middletown is about 25 easily drivable miles (30 minutes) to the north of Ivoryton. I would suggest looking for a place in the West Lake area which has a lot of apartments and is convenient to many major emplyment centers. Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury or even Fairfield County are within 45 minutes of this area. Nice 2 bedroom apartments there would go for around $1,100 per month but you can find some for under that amount too. Good luck, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut