Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,080,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
It's full of banished Bostonians who are Yankee fans.

Please don't start this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,675,511 times
There is a proposed Rte67/Rt42 connector that would have opened things up alot. However I heard that most recently those DOT plans were shelved/scrapped, which will hold back a bunch of developmental improvements of Seymour and Beacon falls for years.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 AM

526 posts, read 998,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
There is a proposed Rte67/Rt42 connector that would have opened things up alot. However I heard that most recently those DOT plans were shelved/scrapped, which will hold back a bunch of developmental improvements of Seymour and Beacon falls for years.
Do you have more info on this? Where would it be? 67 and 42 already meet in Oxford - Is this something wider and closer to 8? Just curious

Old 09-23-2009, 10:05 AM

21,540 posts, read 30,960,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
Do you have more info on this? Where would it be? 67 and 42 already meet in Oxford - Is this something wider and closer to 8? Just curious
I was wondering the same. I had heard this awhile ago and thought the Walgreens project was part of this when they did the initial clearing. I don't know where else a major road can be built as the area is pretty developed. It would be interesting to hear the plans.

When I visited a few weeks ago, I realized 67 in Southern Oxford/western Seymour had become very congested. Also where 42 meets 67 in the center of Oxford was backed up for over a mile during rush hour. I think they are installing a few stoplights up there.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
When I visited a few weeks ago, I realized 67 in Southern Oxford/western Seymour had become very congested. Also where 42 meets 67 in the center of Oxford was backed up for over a mile during rush hour. I think they are installing a few stoplights up there.
It has become crazy on 67 - I believe though that the light is going at the intersection of Riggs and 67 not 42 and 67. The construction in Seymour for the Walgreens is backing up all the way into Oxford and soon they will be doing construction to add a turning lane at Great Hill Road which cause more backups in the near future.

Perhaps if the officers directing traffic could stay off their cell phones and concentrate they could allieviate the situation a bit.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:16 PM

11,251 posts, read 18,744,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Please don't start this!
Don't worry, it's just an inside joke because the OP bumped an old thread on that and let it get out of control again.......

Old 09-23-2009, 01:29 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,675,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
Valley council of Govts Transportation Planning (http://www.valleycog.org/rt_67_42.html - broken link)
had traffic studies done of all the major intersections.

It was my understanding from various articles and what was in the plans that they wanted to connect Seymour to Beacon Falls via a new connector road running from Franklin Street Seymour (starting at the property behind Stop and Shop) up to Rte 42 Beacon Falls all along the west side of the river. There was even a study to look at moving Seymour's rail station to be part of the new plans, and have a GREEN WALKWAY in the plans.

Seymours Ec.Dev.Commiss. meeting minutes of 8/4/09, page 2 details that someone felt the project wasn't cost effective right now and it is shelved.
http://www.seymourct.org/pdf/Minutes%20EDC%208-4-09.pdf

It has been published in local papers that part of the land is owned by a local businessman who wants to go ahead with this, but since it connects 2 DOT State of CT roads it would need approvals, funding, etc. etc. Then also there are the tree huggers of the area have complained in other blogs that the no one but the land owner would benefit by developing this section of the valley and the land should never be opened up.

Personally, I've never seen families helped or an economy turned around by doing nothing. They should do something.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:55 PM

740 posts, read 1,874,342 times
It apprears you have something against NASCAR and hunters. If it is as you described it sounds like the perfect town to me.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:00 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,771,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
It's full of banished Bostonians who are Yankee fans.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Valley council of Govts Transportation Planning (http://www.valleycog.org/rt_67_42.html - broken link)
had traffic studies done of all the major intersections.

It was my understanding from various articles and what was in the plans that they wanted to connect Seymour to Beacon Falls via a new connector road running from Franklin Street Seymour (starting at the property behind Stop and Shop) up to Rte 42 Beacon Falls all along the west side of the river. There was even a study to look at moving Seymour's rail station to be part of the new plans, and have a GREEN WALKWAY in the plans.

Seymours Ec.Dev.Commiss. meeting minutes of 8/4/09, page 2 details that someone felt the project wasn't cost effective right now and it is shelved.
http://www.seymourct.org/pdf/Minutes%20EDC%208-4-09.pdf

It has been published in local papers that part of the land is owned by a local businessman who wants to go ahead with this, but since it connects 2 DOT State of CT roads it would need approvals, funding, etc. etc. Then also there are the tree huggers of the area have complained in other blogs that the no one but the land owner would benefit by developing this section of the valley and the land should never be opened up.

Personally, I've never seen families helped or an economy turned around by doing nothing. They should do something.
Thanks for the info -That sounds like a great plan so therefore it will probably never come to fruition. Instead they'll probably just build a new Rite Aid between the new Walgreens and new CVS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut