Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 05:51 PM

96 posts, read 336,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I'd go with Bristol over Plainville.
I agree. Bristol is a good place to live with a 500k budget you will find some great homes. The forestville side of Bristol is nice as well as Chippens hill has some beatiful houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 06:22 PM

34,635 posts, read 56,369,388 times
But the schools in Bristol are not known to be the best. Students there generally perform around the state average on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests (some catagories slightly above and some below). Some nearby towns perform much better and those are the ones being suggested. Check the link below for more information. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Old 10-12-2009, 06:52 PM

722 posts, read 1,971,757 times
There are other options to going to Bristol Public Schools. St. Paul is a respectable catholic school in Bristol. Southington has a Vocational Agriculture academy in its high school, and Bristol kids could attend there. Waterbury, 2 towns south of Bristol, has a preparatory school (chase) and 2 other private high schools larger than St Paul...

Old 10-12-2009, 06:54 PM

96 posts, read 336,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
But the schools in Bristol are not known to be the best. Students there generally perform around the state average on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests (some catagories slightly above and some below). Some nearby towns perform much better and those are the ones being suggested. Check the link below for more information. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District
Well the facts are the facts. Maybe the schools were just much better when I was growing up (I am in my 20's now).

Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 AM

I think you misunderstood my post. The schools are not bad in Bristol. They perform at around the state average. I believe the OP was looking for towns with very good schools though which is why I pointed that out. Jay

Old 10-13-2009, 08:56 AM

786 posts, read 3,908,981 times
Burlington also borders Bristol but is more rural than suburban in character. We are very pleased with the schools in Burlington. A lot of Burlington residents work at ESPN.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,081,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyJay07 View Post
I agree. Bristol is a good place to live with a 500k budget you will find some great homes. The forestville side of Bristol is nice as well as Chippens hill has some beatiful houses.
You may find decent homes in Bristol, but with a 500k budget you can certainly do much better. Towns like Farmington, Avon, Burlington, and Southington will offer better resale value and lower taxes. Bristol just doesn't have the greatest reputation. There are some bad sections (Davis Dr. and Union St. to name a couple) whereas the other towns have low crime everywhere.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,221 times
Ansky is wrong about Union Street. It was bought by a private investor several years ago, and was completely renovated. It is a nice apartment complex now. As a police officer in Bristol, I can tell you that Union Street is a very quiet area now, and crime in that neighborhood is virtually non-existant. As a matter fact, there are many ESPN employees living in the apartments there now. People really should be sure of the information they're giving out before they post it here,

Old 03-07-2010, 07:13 AM

Fenway1 - we get a lot of questions on Bristol here. It would be good to have someone with your knowledge become a regular here. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut