Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:30 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
I feel sorry for you if the only "good" Italian food you found in Austin was Olive Garden. Obviously you didn't take advantage of the extensively reviewed Austin Italian establishments on Zagat, Yelp, Urbanspoon or City Guide.

Re: Economic Stability. I don't know the most recent numbers but Austin had one of the lowest unemployment rates for a major city in the country. I know economic sectors can be affected differently but overall I think Texas' economy is very stable and growing (slightly). There's a reason why several of the fastest growing counties in the country are in Texas during the recession.
Thanks for your response.

A point about Italian food-- I have been to the better review places on Zagat's etc. and they would be average by NY/CT standards. Generally people who review the Italian (and other food) on Zagats, Yelp, etc., are from the area in which their reviewing. I'm sure there are a few NY expats in the mix, but for the most part its people from Texas who've never had the opportunity to try some of the italian restaurants that have been in the NY area for generations-- So point is their frame of reference is different.

I'm not saying I never got a good meal in Texas-- I am saying that, in general, the quality of the local owned mom and pop oriented restaurant scene where I live is better than the more chain oriented scene in Texas.

Re: Economic Stability.. The numbers have always been stilted in Austin. There is much discussion about the Austin board of this. While I never experienced a layoff myself, I watch many friends who worked with me in tech go through jobs like I change my socks. It was/is very much a roller coaster ride. Many of them drop off the unemployment roles because they (a) find a lower paying job or (b) start consulting on their own (resulting in lower pay without benefits. Tech drove the Austin economy for many years, but it has not been stable and I was tired of seeing friends struggle constantly. I had to lay six people off at the direction of my employer in October 2008. It was not fun and I don't care to do it again.

Anyway, good post and I am glad you agree with the substance of my post. I'm glad you didn't disagree with my ideas about the more Christian oriented culture in TX since everyone else seems to.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
This thread has gone far enough. It is time to close it down. JayCT, Moderator
Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut