Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2006, 11:43 PM

2 posts, read 23,676 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Would like to relocate to Conn...Anyone have any info on Stratford or Stafford Springs? Is it safe, clean, family friendly and have good schools? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated...Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2006, 11:40 AM

10 posts, read 41,873 times
Hello datagirl -

I don't know anything about Stafford Springs.

I live in Stamford and work in Stratford, so here's what I can tell you, as a non-resident of Stratford:
-From families that I know, it seems the schools are decent.
-Good suburban location, with a somewhat rural feel for Fairfield county, with smaller, quaint surrounding towns. It can be congested, but not like more south-west areas of Fairfield county.
-Real Estate is certainly pricey, but not as expensive as south-west part of the county. Get a good idea of the rental or buy prices.
-Commuting towards NYC by car is very congested and by train can be time-consuming. If you are going to work in the area or work north or even east of Stratford, the commute is a "reverse" so to speak, and it's typically not that bad.
-Plenty of shopping, restaurants in the surrounding area and in CT in general.

I suggest you do a search in this forum for Stratford and Stafford Springs, and even Shelton, which borders Stratford and is also a good location. I've seen plenty of info. in this forum on these locations.

A friendly suggestion:
I don't know where you currently live, but I suggest doing some thorough research on the quality and esp. the cost of living in this state, esp. Fairfield county. I can tell you from experience that Fairfield county is a very expensive place to live in comparison to almost all other locations in the US, and is right up there with areas like San Fran. area, NYC area, Westchester county NY, Boston, etc. You should make sure that your job income will support the quality of life that you require. I'd also suggest that you do some research on the job market in CT specific to your field. The job market in CT is stagnant at best, and has been for many years. You'll want to make very certain that there are other active opportunities on a consistent basis within your field in case you do lose your job in the future.

I hope this was a little informative.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 19,126 times
I actually like Stratford, and if I didn't live in Shelton then Stratford is probably where I would live.

It's a larger town than Shelton, and I have a tendency to get lost and wind up in Bridgeport somehow.

But we travel through there alot on our motorcycle and head down to Lordship to see the beach and get an ice cream at Marnick's. It's about a 20 min ride from Shelton to the beach.

Certain areas of Stratford are rather scenic, but I would prefer north Stratford as far as housing goes. The houses in Stratford are built closer together than the houses in Shelton, and you can get lost back in the neighborhoods just trying to find a yard sale.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:54 PM

291 posts, read 1,781,814 times
Northern Stratford is ok but southern Stratford is horrible. I work off Honeyspot rd in Stratford and drug dealers every day. The school situation depends on where you are. There is racial tension and gangs. If you wanted to live on the coast I would go with Milford or Fairfield. Inland there are several good choices. Monroe,Newtown,Oxford,Cheshire,North Haven,Bethany all are nice towns.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:33 AM

439 posts, read 721,278 times
Stafford Springs is a small town in Tolland county- is actually a borough of Stafford- with Stafford Springs being the center of town. It is located northeast of Hartford. The town has a great deal of New England charm, but in recent years has seen more residential development from the eastern suburbs of Hartford. It is about equal distance commute time to Springfield and Hartford.

Population near 12,000

Stafford’s recent population growth is primarily due to rural quality of life, the availability of affordable, quality building lots, and the reasonable tax rates.

The Town has fairly new high school and middle school, and is building a new elementary school to be staffed and filled with students in the fall of 2006. There is also a local hospital, Johnson Memorial that provides a full range of medical services.

There is an active City Recreation Program, with organized sporting events for the younger set. There is a well-managed Senior Center that provides travel opportunities and entertainment for the older residents. Stafford Motor Speedway is a significant tourist attraction, and its oval track race events are held throughout the summer months. Excellent fishing spots are located with a few minutes of the city center. Overall, a nice, small New England community.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:18 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Stratford and Stafford Springs could not be more different. CelticLion gave a good description of SS. It is WAY more rural than Stratford. Stratford has a suburban feel, is busy, has many box stores, has the traffic nightmare of Fairfield County, etc.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:06 PM

13 posts, read 56,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salatheel View Post
Northern Stratford is ok but southern Stratford is horrible. I work off Honeyspot rd in Stratford and drug dealers every day. The school situation depends on where you are. There is racial tension and gangs. If you wanted to live on the coast I would go with Milford or Fairfield. Inland there are several good choices. Monroe,Newtown,Oxford,Cheshire,North Haven,Bethany all are nice towns.
if you think there horrible you do not want to live in jacksonville,florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut