U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 53,165 times

Advertisements

I've done some searches, but nothing really fits my situtation. I live in CT and would like to get EZ pass for the convenience. The problem is I would only use it 4-5 times a year in the MA/NY/NJ areas. Do they have a plan out there that doesn't have an monthly or annual charge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 10:19 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,992,286 times
Massachusetts (called Fast Lane) has no monthly or annual charges. I did however pay $26 for a transponder, but sometimes they give them for free if you sign up. You might want to check up on that.

Friend of mine, his family got ones from New Jersey. But I'm unfamiliar with the program down there. They certainly don't go to NY/NJ/MA enough to justify paying monthly fees on transponders though.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:57 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,854,070 times
If you are going to use an EZ Pass only 4-5 times per year, then why would you want an EZ Pass anyway? FWIW, in NJ we are charged $1/month and the tag is free. The monthly charge is per account, no matter how many tags you have.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:10 PM

684 posts, read 1,818,784 times
Virginia's EZ Pass (VDOT) has no monthly or annual fee. Although they discourage non-VA residents from getting the VA EZPass, they'll more than honor the order and mail it out of state anyway (I got a VA one after MD started their $1.50 monthly fee).

Below is the Fee info from VA EZPass regarding costs:

When you open an E-ZPass account, you are required to pre-pay a minimum of $35 in tolls for each E-ZPass transponder on your account. This is your available balance. As tolls are deducted, your available balance decreases. When this balance reaches a low balance, you are required to make a payment of your average monthly toll usage. The minimum payment is $35 per transponder.

In addition you are required to pay a $25 security deposit for each transponder on loan to you. This deposit is fully refundable when you return your transponder in its original condition and your E-ZPass account is in good standing. The security deposit is waived when you open an account and select automatic replenishment by direct debit electronic funds transfer via ACH from your checking/savings account and provide a credit card as a secondary payment method.

If you drive the toll roads frequently, we recommend that you contact us to increase your low balance level and replenishment amount to accommodate your average monthly toll usage.

As for, why someone would use an EZ Pass only 4-5 times per year, then why would you want an EZ Pass anyway, it saves time waiting at the tolls and the added conveniences of not having to have cash on you or fumbling around in the car when you have to pay for tolls.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:46 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,992,286 times
Alright, I looked it up. Massachusetts now has free transponders, and cancelled the plan for a 50 cent monthly fee. This is what happens after a horrific holiday or two at Sturbridge and Weston.

May as well go with that. And it works with any of the EZ-Pass states.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:35 PM

52 posts, read 167,710 times
I have EZ Pass New York and use it once a month to travel from MD to CT. Once I relocated here (MD) after graduation, this pass was the best thing for me. There is a minimum balance of $25 to keep on the card and to have it active but there isn't an enrollment cost and they provide you with up to 3/4 tags free. Check them out:

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/plans.shtml

E-ZPass Basic Plan
MTA Bridges and Tunnels/New York State Thruway/Port Authority of NY&NJ/New York State Bridge Authority Basic Plan: No minimum use is required. At all Port Authority facilities, E-ZPass discounts are available during off-peak ($2.00 discount) hours. At MTA Bridges and Tunnels, $.93 off cash tolls. $1.86 off round-trip at the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and $1.04 discount at the Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial and Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridges. At all New York State Thruway facilities, E-ZPass discounts are available. This plan may be used wherever you see the E-ZPass sign displayed. Plan Code: (STANDARD) - Required Prepayment ($25.00).

If this doesn't sound of interest to you, then maybe you would like to check out MassDot:
Welcome to MassDOT - Highway Division

Old 11-15-2009, 10:37 AM

786 posts, read 2,575,555 times
I too just recently got a NY EZ pass since all our family is in NY state. You can buy them at most of the rest areas on the NYS thruway for $25 (as mentioned above) and start using it immediately.

You have 24 hours to go online and register it. If you give them your credit card # there is no monthly fee for the transponder. It saves us so much time to be able to use the EZ pass lanes.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 53,165 times
Thanks for all the insight. I ended up going with Fast Lane as I was able to get 2 transponders (up to 4) free and only needed to put $20 into my account. I didn't see any fees outside the usual violation charges so I'm getting exactly what I was looking for.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 23,414 times
Default EZ Pass NY

Does EZ Pass NY work for NJ Turnpike, Garden State Pkwy and Delware Memorial Bridge?

Old 11-26-2010, 08:54 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,568,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitdog View Post
Does EZ Pass NY work for NJ Turnpike, Garden State Pkwy and Delware Memorial Bridge?
Yes. It will work practically up the entire eastern seaboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut