Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 07:39 AM

70 posts, read 196,850 times

Advertisements

What parts of Connecticut are without the influence of NYC on one end and Boston at the other? I was there for a few visits back in the 90's and I fell in love with the state. I thought about moving there but I want to live in Connecticut, not NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 08:47 AM

206 posts, read 195,723 times
The greater Hartford area is unique in that it is largely 'independent' of New York or Boston- A New England city and metro area that has little influence from either NYC or Boston- though it can be considered in its attitudes and inflections generally part of the northeast corridor.

Generally speaking, As one goes further west and southwest of Hartford the influence sphere of NYC grows, the further east and southeast of Hartford- the spheres of Boston and Providence become a stronger cultural influence.

Last edited by xyz affair; 10-23-2009 at 09:04 AM..

Old 10-23-2009, 08:48 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Then definitely stay away from Fairfield County. I am partial to the New Haven area b/c it has just enough NYC influence to keep it hip but it's spirit is definitely CT. I also love Guilford , which is a typical Connecticut sea town. But then there are areas such as Old Lyme that are probably what one would think of when they think "Connecticut"; it is much farther away from NYC so there is very little NYC influence there.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 PM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I agree that Hartford is the most independent of Connecticut's large cities. It really does not rely on New York or Boston for much of anything. New Haven and Waterbury are a bit reliant on New York but not completely. I find that the New London/Norwich area is somewhat independent too but they are small cities that rely on New Haven, Hartford or Providence, RI for television coverage. Jay

Old 10-23-2009, 01:46 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,687,744 times
Start a diagonal line from Canaan NW corner down through the Naugatuck River Valley and shade everything east. That shaded area would be imho pretty much influence free.

Nonetheless, Ffld county still IS CT territory, and no matter how many times folks try to lump dump claim or explain there beliefs to the contrary, it is simply NOT NY. Every town has its own personality, even if there is some influence - who cares if there is??? You would still be in Connecticut.

Now if your talking about the sports situation - - ugghh - - please take that discussion to the sports board.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:16 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPatrick1970 View Post
What parts of Connecticut are without the influence of NYC on one end and Boston at the other? I was there for a few visits back in the 90's and I fell in love with the state. I thought about moving there but I want to live in Connecticut, not NYC.
OP, can you please list or tell me what specifically you feel are NYC "influences" and what are Boston "influences"???

Old 10-23-2009, 03:56 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Start a diagonal line from Canaan NW corner down through the Naugatuck River Valley and shade everything east. That shaded area would be imho pretty much influence free.
I'd push this a little east to end the line at Guilford/Madison. Folks in the western area, though it's a far daily commute, are still very NY centric and largely call NYC "the city" from my experience.

Edit to add: There really is not any part of CT that has a Boston "influence".

Last edited by kidyankee764; 10-23-2009 at 04:05 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 04:05 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Hartford.

It's not a lap dog of either and in fact can hold it's own very well against Boston in corporate might and IMO might even overtake it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut