Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:56 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times

Advertisements

Northeastern CT seems like a starter point for many out of state (usually Mass. or R.I.) teachers that want to jump further into Connecticut. It's an area of small towns, nice and quiet country. It's also the cheapest area in the state, but that translates to the schools being dirt poor as well.

I'd recommend Thompson over Plainfield/Griswold/Brooklyn and moreso Putnam/Killingly. Woodstock or Pomfret over anything along I-395, if you can get in. But none in that list are horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 06:10 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
It's not uncommon for there to be 400 applicants per opening in your area.

I was in the job market this summer. I'm in a supposed shortage area (math), and there were at least 20 applicants per position. I did find a position, but it took 12 interviews.

Unless you have an absolutely exceptional resume/experience or have some sort of connection in a school system, I would seriously consider obtaining a certification in a less competitive area.

Special ed or technology seems to be in high demand. Math and science are still in demand, as well--but many wall street types have now entered the teaching field due to the state of the economy and have increased the supply of qualified math/science people quite drastically.
The "career change to teaching" program I was in this summer (for math!) had a LOT of ex-Wall Streeters in my group. But they were all in Fairfield County and not looking to relocate or commute very far, so that really mostly affects that area. Most (but not all of them) didn't seem too willing to teach in "urban" districts (though this is where you more easily get your first teaching job) and seemed to have the resources to just sub locally until they get a job, so it mostly affects the places that are usually super-hard to get a job anytime.

Most years, about 80% of the group come out with jobs right way, but this year, it's only about 1/3 that, so things have changed for the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Wrong. Just....wrong. It takes a VERY specific type of person who can handle kids in a district like Hartford, Bridgeport, etc. If you do not teach in a town whose population you can handle and 'relate to', you won't survive.
I used to think this too, but I know a few people who I would never think could do it and have. One is a guy who was a business executive with a conservative attitude who is sarcastic but not really "tough" and he taught in Hartford for a few years (and started doing so in his late 50s! And no, he's not a "minority" either). Also a somewhat "prissy" lady from a rich suburban town who teaches in Bridgeport (and again, not a "minority"). We're talking high school in the first case and middle school in the latter. If that were completely true, jobs there would go begging and while that is sometimes the case (usually for spec ed, sometimes for MS or HS math and science), it isn't always. You should think about whether the school will be a good "fit" for you, but you also need to "think out of the box" a little as well so that you get started somewhere. Many people start in these districts for a couple or a few years and then move on to a suburban district when they have the experience that makes them stand out. You need to start somewhere to get you career going.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 10-31-2009 at 06:21 AM..

Old 10-31-2009, 10:55 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
My wife and I might be moving up to CT next year. She is a teacher here in Texas, math and science. She has about 3 years experience. Here in Texas, she teaches 5th grade, which is elementary, but is certified 4th-8th, so she can teach middle school as well.

Will she face the same difficulties? Or given her subject area and experience, will she have an easier time of it?

Old 10-31-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
My wife and I might be moving up to CT next year. She is a teacher here in Texas, math and science. She has about 3 years experience. Here in Texas, she teaches 5th grade, which is elementary, but is certified 4th-8th, so she can teach middle school as well.

Will she face the same difficulties? Or given her subject area and experience, will she have an easier time of it?
Hard to say, there is a "4-8" middle school certification for specific subjects (it's what I have, for math), but you can only use that in a middle school, so if in a given town middle school is 6-8, then you can only use it there, not for 4th or 5th grade at the town's elementary school (for that you'd need a general Elementary certificate). In some towns middle is 4-8, others 5-8, others 6-8 (the most common I believe), and in a few just 7-8. It's possible that she would get a dual endorsement in math and science. I have heard that transferring a license to CT is tough (as opposed to getting a "first license", which is not).

As for job market, right now it's just plain bad everywhere, every subject, but who knows what next year will be like? Good luck.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:16 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Well, as soon as we decide on CT or not (got my test scores and definitely in the range for UConn), she will start the certification process.

I'm hoping the fact that she is math/science, like middle school (6-8), went through a university teacher education program as opposed to alt. cert., and has a few years experience will push her over the top.

I still have the info you sent me earlier, so thanks for that. I hope I need it soon!

Old 10-31-2009, 07:19 PM

CT has the 2nd oldest and one of the stronger alt. cert. programs in the US (it's run by the state, not by a college or by The New Teacher Project like many of the others), so going through a university program, while still an "advantage" over alt certs for the most part, is not as much of one as elsewhere. For example, in other states, alt certs usually can only get their first jobs in the inner city because most other districts "look down" on them (some, like the NYC Fellows Program, actually REQUIRE that for x number of years before they can go to a suburban district), but I know some CT alt certs who started in suburban districts. That said, you will still have a significant advantage over them, and for the other reasons you give as well. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:28 PM

7 posts, read 21,776 times
teaching jobs, checkout cea.org or ctreap.net

Old 11-10-2009, 06:37 PM

8 posts, read 28,663 times
I am currently a special ed teacher in Fairfield County. There is high demand for special ed in this state which is why I went into it. Have any of you considered becoming cross-endorsed? It would definitely help. For those looking for elementary, know that those jobs are typically the hardest to get. However, math and science are in pretty high demand...those teachers will have a better shot.

Feel free to message me with questions if you have any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut