U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 05:47 AM

470 posts, read 1,197,756 times

Advertisements

I finally got a set of snow tires and winter wheels for my car this year. I got tired of getting stuck in my parking lot and having trouble getting up my road in the snow.

I wanted to know when everyone on here usually put their snow tires on and takes them off for the year? Do you wait until just before the first snow? Or do you take advantage of the softer compound for the colder weather earlier?

When do you take them off? Do you wait until you can wear shorts? Or do you take them off when you first see green popping up in the garden?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 07:57 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,524,711 times
I personally dont use snow tires anymore but when I did I usually threw them on at the end of november

Old 10-30-2009, 08:23 AM

16,222 posts, read 25,409,215 times
When I lived in Montreal, snow tires were a MUST. Obviously.

The general rule of thumb was to get them put on right before you needed them on (i.e. right before the snow), although that made for long lines at the garages. And take them off as soon as you don't think it's going to snow again. I know, that's a little vague, but the consensus is that you don't want to have them on for more time than you need them on because (a) it's a rougher ride, and (b) if there's no snow, the treads wear down quicker on pavement.

I hope that helps a bit.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:53 AM

470 posts, read 1,197,756 times
It does. I'll just wait until snow is expected. I'm not worried about lines at a garage. I have a floor jack and a compressor in my garage.

As for the tread wear, snow tires have a softer compound and are better in cold weather than all-season tires or summer tires and I was wondering if anyone here noticed an advange on cold roards with snow tires.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:27 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,182,550 times
Not sure what kind of snow tires you bought, but here is some info for you.

CT DMV Chapter 3

DMV: Chapter 3

Slippery Roads:
........ Studded tires are permitted in Connecticut from November 15th through April 30th. ..........

Old 10-30-2009, 10:26 AM

1,930 posts, read 3,172,693 times
No snow tires here- get a SUBARU! AWD is the best with a top quality all season tire. I just installed Kumho's on my Impreza. However, the subie probably would go like a tank with a set of snows on her...

Old 10-30-2009, 02:00 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,820,009 times
This probably begins the yearly discussion on the need for snows and the various AWD vehicles folks have. The general answer is usually 'it depends' on a lot of variables.

I also install my own snows, usually within days or hours of the first 'lasting' snow. Along the route 84 corridor, I find that is usually somewhere between December 15 through 31st but occasionally it can be after New Year. Of course we can get snow earlier, but it often isn't severe or doesn't last. If you must drive a lot, through difficult driving neighborhoods, and prefer to be ready for the first snow, you should consider installing them earlier. I remove them in early spring usually about late March-Early April IIRC (again watching the weather and sometimes chance a late snow...).

My objective is to use the snows only when it is pretty cold and snow is likely. I get a lot of years of effective use this way. I install on both AWD and FWD vehicles and only in sets of 4. Yes the transition between the snows and summer tires (I use SUMMER performance tires not all season) is sometimes noticeable and requires a bit of adjustment in driving habits. As always YMMV and to each his or her own.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:38 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,195,342 times
Here is a good thread to read about "snows" that we had last year.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/6685200-post40.html

To answer the "when" question, on my wifes FWD sedan, I put them on generally mid to end of Nov and get them off Mid end of March.

If there is an out of place big storm before or after that, the car is still decent with all seasons.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:46 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,430,672 times
If you can use studs do so!!
And put tires on when that date comes.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:23 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,195,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
If you can use studs do so!!
And put tires on when that date comes.
Studded tires actually perform worse than a modern high performance snow tire on tarmac and snow covered roads.

They also abuse the roads.

Studs are for ice.

This is fact, not fiction...do a search and check the thread I posted above with real world testing.

10 years or so I used to ice race up in Pittsfield MA and we'd make our own studded tires - like these:

THAT'S a stud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut