U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 AM
JKF JKF started this thread

12 posts, read 102,892 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving New Haven this summer. We are not concerned with living in an urban area, we have lived in Baltimore off and on for the past 17 years and have never felt unsafe. I realize New Haven like most other urban areas has good and bad neighborhoods. I am not concerned with race. I am concerned with property values, where they are rising or appear to be and where they have always been steady and where they are just too high to be affordable to a family making between and 70k and 80k a year. I have a general idea of some locations like East Rock, Fair Haven, and a few others. My question is; can a few of you breakdown by street approximate parimeters what neighborhoods are called and give, for up and coming or steady, does not look good, for way too over priced, and a for steer clear? An example would be... what is the area between Whitney ave. and Dixwell called around A.M.C. and south.

I realize this is a tall order to ask, and just neighborhood names and street breakdowns parimeters would be helpful but going the extra mile for new neighbors excited to become part of your community would be super.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by JKF; 05-11-2007 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 01:56 PM

Default so much for helpful neighbors

Well, no one answered back... boo to you. Anyway, we rule, we found a great house in New Haven in a great neighborhood at a great price. I would say thanks, but instead I would say you should work on your community pride and helpfulness a little. I'll get started myself in July.

Cheers,

J

Old 05-16-2007, 03:12 PM

4,455 posts, read 2,554,551 times
Hey JKF

good for you and BOO to some of our members in southern CT for not helping.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 05-16-2007, 04:01 PM

14,546 posts, read 23,172,866 times
It is probably because there is no one who could provide the exact information the OP was requesting. I read his post but could not tell him or her specific streets. Most people on these boards are pretty helpful. Sorry no one could help you. Good luck in your new home, Jay

Old 05-16-2007, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 23,368 times
Default Also moving to New Haven

Hi - moving my family up to New Haven in a few months and have decided to rent because we're unsure of the neighborhoods and street. Curious to know what you've learned and where you ended up buying? Thanks! Lisa

Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Looked at 30 houses in 48 hours

My wife and I went through, Hamden, West Haven, East Haven, New Haven. Hamden is nice and very nice is some places, it seems easy to get to downtown for work. There is tons of shopping options in Hamden. That said, I think their are some folks in denial about what their homes are worth this summer vs. last summer. Most homes we went to people were asking too much or if they were asking what looked good on paper the neighborhood was a little off. Over all I found the neighborhoods in Hamden good.

We went through West Haven and I have to say that I am amazed that so many places are in such poor shape even in the West shore section which is very nice. The places we viewed around the 250,000 price range were in bad shape. The East side of Morse Park was a no-go. I think that might be a good area to invest in, because it is such a dump and there are many people buying and making an effort to clean up the neighborhood, I wouldn't be surprised that in about 10 years that area will be wonderful, but until then, I can't see moving there.

We didn't look at much in East Haven, because we decided that the bridge traffic would be too frustrating. Even if we took the bus, it would take forever.

We ended up finding a place in a section of New Haven called Westville, we were surprised at how beautiful and affordable that neighborhood is, if you take the time to shop, shop, shop, shop, and then make an offer. We ended up spending a little over 200,000 on a fixer upper, but the house across the street sold for 400,000 at the beginning of the month and the next door neighbor is a Doctor. The home we are buying needs cosmetic work, but the bones look solid. I am doing a walkthrough with an inspector on Monday, and then I guess all will be clearer, but as far as I can tell our hard work paid off. My sister and brother in law were impressed after they Googled the address. They live in Hartford and know a number of people in Westville.

The best things as far as I can tell about Westville are it is full of Professionals with families and the house sizes vary greatly. The place we made an offer on is 1700 sq ft, the house across the street a monster to me anyway at 3500 and I have seen listings on blocks close to the one we found success on under 2500sq ft and under $300,000. Also, you can walk to bus lines and it is only 2 miles maybe less from downtown.

More advise is this, I sensed desperation in many who were trying to sell, I feel for them since I too am trying to sell, but on the other hand we wanted to buy. We made an offer; there was a counter offer and then wham! We got it. Our realtor had said there has been close to a 20% drop in value since last summer and many people looking to sell are either in shock or denial about what their homes are actually worth. I think over all this price drop that is going on in the north east is good, even if I donít get what I am asking for my current home in Delaware. I am sure I will get what is fair and what the market will allow or to not be cold, what other people like me and my wife can afford. We are talking about each other here, people, neighbors, etc.

I see buying now this way, interest rates are still way low, we were approved at 5.85% 20% down 30 year fixed and I think we might pay a few points to get that lower. Also, the market is filling up with product and there are fewer buyers which is also a good thing. If you are buying now you can afford to be a little squirly in your offer just don't be insulting, people are already upset about their home values, don't make it worse by getting greedy.

We are both really tired, we had that killer long weekend last week and this week our home here in Delaware is being viewed at what feels like a 24/7 pace. We have not had time to go to the grocery store in the three weeks.
weeks.

Last edited by JKF; 05-17-2007 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: spelling and extra info

Old 05-21-2007, 01:53 PM

51 posts, read 250,552 times
I live in Hamden and drive through new haven every day. I would say that your best bet is East rock and Westville. These are absolutely the most beautiful areas in New haven. Historic homes, tree lined streets, etc. Stay away from Fair haven. Also check areas around Albertus Magnus College, also beautiful. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:03 PM

4,455 posts, read 2,554,551 times
Good to see you have found something JKF-Westville is indeed very nice.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:21 PM

13 posts, read 150,308 times
West of the Quinnipiac River
Hamden toward the Whitney Ave side. Lots generally range from about 1/4 AC to 1/2 Acre. Dixwell Ave. can be rough.

Most of North Haven is good with prices ranging from $300 and up. Lot sizes range from 1/2 ac on up. Lower North Haven (Hartford Turnpike area) is just minutes from New Haven

On the other side of the Quinnipiac River (east) only some of East Haven is ok. The more you go east (Branford, then Guilford, etc) you will get better neighborhoods with the housing prices going higher of course. The commute going into New Haven from Branford, Guilford, etc can be rough. The Quinnipiac River Bridge is under construction.

Web site for the mill rates:
http://www.courant.com/classified/re...3522.htmlstory

Old 05-21-2007, 08:10 PM

4 posts, read 27,458 times
Default JKF, Move to New Haven....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKF View Post
My wife and I are moving New Haven this summer. We are not concerned with living in an urban area, we have lived in Baltimore off and on for the past 17 years and have never felt unsafe. I realize New Haven like most other urban areas has good and bad neighborhoods. I am not concerned with race. I am concerned with property values, where they are rising or appear to be and where they have always been steady and where they are just too high to be affordable to a family making between and 70k and 80k a year. I have a general idea of some locations like East Rock, Fair Haven, and a few others. My question is; can a few of you breakdown by street approximate parimeters what neighborhoods are called and give, for up and coming or steady, does not look good, for way too over priced, and a for steer clear? An example would be... what is the area between Whitney ave. and Dixwell called around A.M.C. and south.

I realize this is a tall order to ask, and just neighborhood names and street breakdowns parimeters would be helpful but going the extra mile for new neighbors excited to become part of your community would be super.

Thanks,
Jim
I'm 63, born in a New Haven Hospital, lived in East Haven till '81. East Haven is a nice hard working community and is a good place to live. We moved to Branford about 6 miles from the city of N.H. and if is a much better run town. Taxes are no out of line, people walk main street at night and shop at the beautiful local stores. Yes we have a Wal-Mart but the average income here allows folks to patronize the local shops. During the warm weather you can sit at Ashleys ice cream or other on wide side walks across from the several churches on owu beautiful large green at night and be Safe. The local law enforcement really cares about the peace of its townsfolk. The town spens money to buy and preserve open lands on all four corners and elsewhere to protect against over growth. The school system is as good as you require and excels in many areas such as music, sports, general ed. Branford is on Long Island Sound so we have three town beaches, a clean river for canoe or kayak, and lots of boating. WE have one of the top libraries
in the state. It is a pretty town with good real estate. High that is!!
New Haven has suffered for decades for tax income due to the non taxed Yale University and other non taxed entities. Way back when N.H. annexed
part of East Haven which is on the eastern side of the harbor for a larger tax base. For twenty years or so these folks have tried in vain to succeed for N.H. as the taxes are killing them. H.H has attemped to have a tax district that would include many sorrounding towns to add to their base.
Areas such as Woodbridge, Orange Milford should also be considered. They have their own independence fro the controlls of N.H.
The city of N.H. can be a difficult. Property evualations are high for the tax needs. Parking is not the greatest. Crime is bad with daily teen shootings, usually each other.
If you are in a professional position and are making good money Connecticut is a very beautiful state to live. We have four seasons, the sound protects us from temp. extremes and recreation abounds. We are close to New Yoprk for cost of living. We receive less from the Federal government that we put in due to the very high average incomes from the towns near N.Y such as Stamford, Greenwich, Darien, Litchfield County etc.
My wife and I are seriously looking to move to Marysville, Tn and leave our daughters age 22 and 25 whom we will miss because of Connecticut. Does that tell you anything?
Connecticut is taxes, traffic, one town running into another, 24% of college grads. leave the state for employment, the national average is below 2%, we graduate over 35K a year, industry is gone, high tech is here if you qualify.
Connecticut IS beautiful, and a great place to raise a family. I DO NOT suggest the CITY OF NEW HAVEN to reside unless you have BIG BUCKS, are willing to pay even bigger bucks in the near future, don't mind roving teen age stupid kids with guns that shoot at rival gangs in day light downtown. New Haven has art, culture (Yale) theater such as the Shubert, few good hotels, great restaurants, and good honest ethnic working people just like every where else. I suggest that you look to the suburbs as they are all within a thirty or so minute drive or you can take the Amtrack in any shoreline town.

I hope this helps,

Pete K.

Last edited by Pete K.; 05-21-2007 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: typo error...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut